An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Buckinghamshire, Volume 1, South. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1912.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
(O.S. 6 in. xxxiv. S.E.)
(1). Plateau Camp, occupies the summit of a ridge of the Chiltern Hills, about 610 ft. above O.D. The works enclose the church, which is situated at the S.W. end of the site.
The camp is a fine example of its class, and is remarkable for the strength of the defences.
The site, including the defences, covers slightly over 15 acres, is roughly oval in shape, and is defended on the E. by a treble rampart and double ditch, and on the remaining sides by a double rampart and single ditch. The ramparts vary from 9½ ft. in height and 34 ft. in width on the W. to 12½ ft. in height and 42 ft. in width on the S.E., while the ditches are from 4 ft. to 11 ft. deep and 34 ft. to 52 ft. wide. A small triangular outwork projects from the W. side of the work. The position of the original entrance is doubtful. Within the defences are two ponds, known as Bury Pond and Holly Pond.
Condition—Part of the S. side is destroyed, otherwise fairly good.
(2). Parish Church of St. Lawrence, stands at the N.W. corner of the village. The walls are of flint with stone dressings; the roof is tiled. The church built in the 13th century consisted apparently of a chancel and the present Nave; the Chancel was re-built in the 14th century. In 1872-3 the entire building, with the exception of the S. wall, was pulled down, and re-built on the same foundations, the old materials being re-used as far as possible. The West Bell-turret, the South Porch, and the South Vestry are modern.
The 13th-century S. doorway, though partly restored, is worthy of note.
Architectural Description—The Chancel (23 ft. by 14 ft.) has a three-light E. window, which retains part of the 14th-century shafted inner jambs. In the N. wall are two arched recesses, probably modern. In the S. wall is a window of two trefoiled lights, partly of re-used 14th-century material; the doorway opening into the vestry has two original moulded stones re-used in the jambs. The chancel arch is modern. The Nave (33 ft. by 14 ft.) has, in the N. wall, two windows, each of two lights, almost entirely modern, but with some traces of old material, re-used; the eastern window has shafted inner jambs of the 14th century, with moulded capitals and bases. In the S. wall, probably formerly in the chancel, is a window with 14th-century shafted jambs, similar to those in the N. wall; the sill has been cut down to form a sedile; the 13th-century S. doorway has moulded jambs with detached shafts of later material, re-used, original moulded capitals, and modern bases; the two-centred arch is of two elaborately moulded orders with a modern dog-tooth label. The W. window is modern.
Fittings—Bells: one, inscribed 'Com and praye'. Font: modern, copied from fragment of 13th-century font with circular bowl, now in the churchyard. Piscina: in the chancel, with square basin, 14th-century. Plate: includes cup of 1577. Sedile: (see window in S. wall of nave).
Condition—Good, almost entirely re-built, remaining original details restored.
(3–5). Cottages, two, and The Bricklayers' Inn, are each of two storeys, built in the 17th century, and much restored. The roofs are tiled. The first cottage, 100 yards S.E. of the church, has been entirely re-faced with modern brick, but has a 17th-century chimney of brick, with oversailing courses at the top. The inn, 200 yards E. of the church, has been refaced with 18th-century and modern brick; one chimney stack is original. The second cottage, 300 yards S.E. of the church, has walls covered with cement; the plain rectangular chimney is of 17th-century brick.
Condition—Of first cottage and inn, good; of second cottage, fairly good.