An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Buckinghamshire, Volume 1, South. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1912.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
(O.S. 6 in. (a)lvi. N.W. (b)lvi. S.W.)
b (1). Parish Church of St. Mary, stands in the middle of the village, on the N. side of the main street. It was entirely re-built in 1857–60, except the Chancel, of which the walls are faced with Totternhoe stone, partly restored; all the details are modern. The roofs are tiled.
Fittings—Bells: five, 2nd by Henry Knight, 1615, 5th by Henry Knight, 1607, with inscription, 'Sancta Johanis Ora Pro Nobis'. Brasses: In chancel—on N. wall, (1) of Richard Hanbery, citizen and goldsmith of London (date of death not filled in), and Alice, his wife, 1593, kneeling figures, two daughters, two shields of arms, all on one rectangular plate, on pedimented marble tablet with arms of London between two Tudor roses; on S. wall, (2) to Katherine, daughter of William Blount, wife of Sir Mores Barkeley, 1559, inscription and shield with arms. Monuments and Floor-slabs. Monuments: In chancel—on N. wall, (1) marble tablet to Christopher Barker, 1599, and Rachel, his wife, 1907; (2) of John Wheeler, 1636, marble and alabaster, bust and shield with arms; (3) of Hanbury Wheeler, 1633, marble and alabaster, bust and shield with arms; on S. wall, (4) to Mary, wife of Edmund Wheeler, 1626, with arms and inscription. In vestry—on S. wall, (5) to Katherine, wife of John Balch, 1679, with arms and inscription. Floor-slabs: In chancel—(1) to Hanbury Wheeler, with arms and undated inscription, 17th-century; (2) to Thomas Brinley, Auditor of Revenue to Charles I. and Charles II., 1661, and the father of his wife, William Wase, 1642; (3) with arms, illegible, probably 17th-century. In S. aisle—(4) to Robert Conway, 167(?)3; near S. doorway, (5) to Rose, wife of Richard Budd, Auditor of the King's Revenue, 1624, her son Richard, her niece Anne, wife of William Wase, 1661, William Wase, 1673, James, son of William Wase. In N. aisle—(6) to George Cooke, 1687, and Alice, his wife, 1692. Plate: includes cup and cover paten of 1569. Miscellanea: in churchyard, tombstones to members of the Aldridge family, 1633, 1693, 169—: other tombstones, illegible, 17th-century.
b (2). The Manor House, now two dwellings, on the S. side of the main street, opposite the church, is of three storeys, timber-framed with plaster filling; the roofs are tiled. It was built in the second half of the 16th century, and much restored in the 19th century. The plan is rectangular, facing N., with a slight projection at the S.E. end, and a modern addition at the S.W. corner. On the N. front all the timber-framing of the upper storeys is painted, and the rest is modern or has been re-cut; the overhanging third storey has four gables, and is supported on curved brackets; some of the windows retain original casements with ornamental iron fastenings; the two doorways have four-centred heads and carved spandrels, but the woodwork is modern or re-cut. The back of the house is covered with plaster. Inside the eastern part of the house is an original moulded oak doorway with a four-centred head; the newel staircase, which has a short balustrade at the top, with flat, shaped balusters, is also of the 16th century, and there are a few old beams over the windows, and two oak brackets.
Condition—Good; much restored and altered.
b(3). House, almost opposite the E. end of the church, is a low two-storeyed building, timber-framed, with modern brick filling; the W. front is covered with plaster and painted; the roofs are tiled. It was built in the 17th century, and was originally two cottages, converted into one dwelling in the 19th century. The central chimney stack has three square shafts, and is of thin bricks. The room at the S. end has original exposed ceiling joists, and the room next to it has similar joists of old timber, brought from elsewhere.
b (4). The Royal Stag Inn, on the W. side of the churchyard, was built probably in the 17th century, but the front of the house is modern. The back is probably original, and is of two storeys, built of brick and timber. The roof is tiled.
Condition—Good; much restored.
a(5). Riding Court, a farmhouse, about 3/8 mile N.N.E. of the church, is of two storeys and an attic, built in the 17th century, and now much restored and enlarged; the walls are faced with modern brick on an old brick plinth. The roofs are tiled. Several rooms are lined with 17th-century panelling, and have carved and panelled oak overmantels; all the oak has been varnished or painted, and in two rooms the panelling is hidden by wall-paper.
The S. wall of the garden is of 17th-century brick.
Condition—Good; much altered.
b (6). Boundary Walls, at South Lea Farm, ¾ mile S. of the church, are of 17th-century brick.