An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Buckinghamshire, Volume 1, South. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1912.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
(O.S. 6 in. (a)xlvi. S.W. (b)li. N.W.)
b(1). Parish Church of St. Mary, about 350 yards S.W. of the village green, is built of flint rubble with stone dressings; the roofs are tiled. Of the 12th-century church on the site the Nave remains; the West Tower was built probably c. 1280, and the top stage added early in the 16th century. The Chancel was entirely re-built in 1748, and the tower restored in 1867. The North and South Transepts and the North Vestry were added, the walls of the nave heightened, and the whole church was restored in 1883.
Architectural Description — The Chancel (20½ ft. by 15 ft.) has, re-set in the S. wall, a doorway, now blocked, probably of the 16th century, with jambs and semi-circular arch of thin bricks, the jambs having a small angle-bead. The chancel arch has plain square jambs, the lower parts are of 12th-century stone with diagonal tooling; the rest of the arch is modern. The Nave (40 ft. by 20 ft.) has an opening into each transept, and two windows on each side, all modern. The West Tower (20 ft. by 11 ft.) has no external divisions, except the original corbel table between the 13th and 16th-century work; the parapet is modern, the angle-buttresses are also modern, but are on original bases. The 13th-century tower arch is two-centred, of two chamfered orders, with moulded stops; the semi-octagonal jambs have moulded capitals and modern bases; on the E. side is a moulded label. In the N. wall is an original lancet window, with a modern external sill; in the S. wall is a similar lancet, but all the external stonework is modern. The W. doorway is modern; over it is an original window, of two pointed, uncusped lights, with modern outer order and stonework in the head; the rear arch is chamfered and has a moulded label with stops resembling the detail of the corbel table. The bell-chamber has, in each wall, a plain single-light window with a four-centred head, of early 16th-century date, and, in the S. and W. walls, below the corbel table, are similar windows; there is probably another in the N. wall, hidden by ivy. The Roof of the nave has some old plain timbers in it.
Fittings—Bells: three, 2nd probably by John Saunders, c. 1550, 3rd probably by Roger Landen, c. 1450. Chairs: in the chancel, three, one with arms and carved back, late 17th-century, and carved panel in the back of earlier date, two with carved and panelled backs and turned legs, 17th-century. Monuments and Floor-slabs. Monuments: In S. transept—on W. side, of Sir James Whitelock, Judge of the Court of Common Pleas, 1632, and Elizabeth his wife, 1631, alabaster figures with traces of colour, in marble architectural setting with inscription, achievements of arms, coloured. Floor-slab: In tower—at entrance, to Robert Weedon, 1659, date almost obliterated, arms and inscription. Painting: on each respond of tower arch, text in black-letter, 16th-century, numbers of chapter and verse added later. Panelling: in chancel, oak, richly carved cornice with acanthus leaves, groups of gilded fruit and flowers on panels, all c. 1700: in nave, carved cornice, same date, above modern panels. Pulpit: hexagonal, with richly carved panelled sides, cherubs' heads at angles, moulded and carved cornice, foliated base, said to be by Grinling Gibbons. c. 1700. Reading Desk: panelled and carved, acanthus leaf cornice, similar to pulpit. Seating: in chancel, transepts and nave, elaborate carving attached to some of the seats, late 17th-century.
Condition—Good, much restored.
b(2). House, now several cottages, on the Green, about 350 yards N.E. of the church, is a 17th-century rectangular building of two storeys, the upper storey partly in the roof; the walls are timber-framed with brick filling, the bricks being of various dates. The roof is thatched. In front there is one projecting gable, covered with plaster, and two dormer windows in the thatch. The central chimney is of old thin bricks, restored at the top.
a(3). Cottages, two, adjoining, about 700 yards N.E. of the church, are of two storeys, built of brick and timber in the 17th century, with modern additions. The roofs are tiled. At the S. end is a projecting chimney stack, with a rectangular shaft of original bricks.
a(4). Round-house Farm, now two cottages, about ½ mile N.E. of the church, is of two storeys, built in the 17th century, partly of brick and timber, partly of flint with brick quoins. The roofs are tiled. The plan is L-shaped, with the wings projecting towards the N. and E.; the round-house or tower at the S.W. end was probably added in the 18th century. The W. front has two gables and a small projecting semi-circular oven. The tall chimney stack between the house and the tower is of thin bricks with over-sailing courses at the top, and the square chimney stack at the back is of late 17th-century brick. Inside the house is a wide fireplace, partly filled in.
a(5). Cottage, opposite Round-house Farm, is of two storeys, the upper storey partly in the roof, built in the 17th century, but almost entirely re-built with brick in the 19th century. The roof is tiled. The front is covered with plaster and has two gabled dormer windows. The chimney stack at the N. end is original.
b(6). Crockmore Farm, about ½ mile S.W. of the church, is a house of two storeys, of brick and timber, partly plastered; at the back the lower storey is of brick and flint. The house was built originally in the 17th century, but the bricks are of various dates; the E. end and gable are modern, and there is a modern addition at the W. end. The plan is rectangular, facing N., with a central chimney stack which has square shafts of thin bricks; a second chimney stack near the E. end has a rectangular shaft of thin bricks, with over-sailing courses at the top.
Condition—Good, but the central chimney leans towards the W.