An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Buckinghamshire, Volume 1, South. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1912.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
39. FLEET MARSTON.
(1). Parish Church of St. Mary, stands 2¾ miles N.W. of Aylesbury. The walls are of stone rubble, set in courses in the S. wall of the nave; the roofs are tiled. The Chancel and Nave were built possibly in the 12th or 13th century; the S. wall of the nave was re-built probably late in the 14th century. A small projection at the W. end of the N. wall of the nave was added to support a wooden bell-turret which has disappeared; the present bell-turret over the W. end is modern. The church was restored in 1868–9, and the North Porch and E. wall of the chancel have apparently been re-built.
Architectural Description—The Chancel (19 ft. by 13½ ft.) has an E. window of one trefoiled light with modern jambs; the head and small external label are of uncertain date, probably not mediæval. In the N. wall is a 14th-century window of one trefoiled light with a chamfered external label; near the middle of the wall are traces of a small single-light window, possibly of the 12th or 13th century; in the S. wall are traces of a similar window, and, at the E. end, a 14th-century window of two trefoiled ogee lights with modern tracery in a square head; near the W. end is a window similar to that in the N. wall, but partly restored and without a label; between the windows is a 14th-century doorway with chamfered jambs, partly restored, two-centred head and external label. The chancel arch, of c. 1320, is of two chamfered orders, originally two-centred, now spread to a slightly four-centred form; the moulded capitals each have four ball-flowers carved on the bell; the lower parts of the jambs are formed partly out of the remains of a stone screen. The Nave (39 ft. by 14 ft.) has, in the N. wall, two windows; the eastern, of c. 1400, partly restored, is of two cinque-foiled lights with a sexfoil in a two-centred head having an external label; the western window, a wide pointed light, has an original rear arch but has been much restored; between the windows is a 14th-century doorway with chamfered jambs, two-centred head and external label, which has head-stops made up with cement. In the S. wall is a late 14th-century window of four cinque-foiled lights with pierced spandrels in a square head having a moulded external label. The North Porch is modern, but re-set in each side wall is a small trefoiled light of the 14th century. The Roof of the chancel is modern, except one cambered and chamfered tie-beam. The 15th-century roof of the nave is of four bays, with five queen-post trusses, curved wind-braces and struts; on the E. truss are remains of colour (see Paintings); the westernmost bay is a copy of the other bays, made when the N.W. bell-turret was destroyed.
Fittings—Font: roughly made, uneven bowl with tapering sides and lower edge roll, plain cylindrical stem, probably 13th-century, re-cut. Glass: in head of S.E. window of chancel, fragment, yellow and white, with foliated design, 14th-century: in head of E. light of N.E. window of nave, larger fragment, representing apparently wings of angel, the outline of head and shoulders filled in with other pieces. Locker: in N. wall of chancel, square, rebated for shutter, early 15th-century. Monument: In chancel—on S. wall, to Agnes, wife of John Hoffman, rector of the parish, 1639, and their two daughters. Niche: in N. porch over N. doorway, with moulded jambs, trefoiled head and sunk spandrels, 14th-century. Paintings: on inner jambs of N.E. window of nave, traces of red colour with two palimpsest coats of colour: in nave, on jambs of N. doorway, and on easternmost tie-beam of roof, traces of red colour. Piscina: in sill of S.E. window of chancel, sexfoil basin, 14th-century. Miscellanea: at E. end of N. wall of nave, stone corbel formerly supporting bressumer of rood-loft: in S. wall of nave, outside, sundial.
(2). House, now two tenements, on the E. side of Akeman Street, about 220 yards N.W. of the church, is of two storeys, built early in the 17th century. Much of the walling has been re-faced with modern brick; the E. front has a gable covered with plaster; the back is partly of old stone in courses, and a gable near the N. end has timber-framing, now plastered. The roof is tiled. The plan is rectangular, with a modern addition at the S. end. The central chimney stack is of thin bricks. Inside the house are chamfered ceiling-beams with moulded stops, and the original winding staircase of oak.
(3). Fleet Marston Farm, nearly ½ mile N.W. of the church, is a house partly of two storeys and an attic, partly of one storey. The walls are covered with rough-cast; the roof is tiled. It consists of a rectangular block, facing S., built probably c. 1650, with modern additions at each end and at the back, and a S.E. wing making the plan L-shaped, probably also modern, but with some re-used material. The original central chimney stack is repaired at the top. Inside the house are chamfered ceiling-beams, with moulded stops, and some original doors of oak battens; the lower part of one staircase is of old elm, the upper part, of oak, is original.