An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Buckinghamshire, Volume 1, South. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1912.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
(O.S. 6 in. xli. N.E.)
(1). Parish Church of St. Botolph, stands at the E. end of the village. The walls are of flint rubble, those of the N. chapel being covered with rough-cast; the dressings are of stone; the roofs are tiled. The Nave was built late in the 11th or early in the 12th century; the West Tower was added late in the 15th century, and the North Chapel was built by William, second Lord Windsor, in the middle of the 16th century. The Chancel was re-built in 1863; the South Porch was added also in the 19th century, and the nave much restored.
The original S. doorway is especially interesting. Among the fittings the most noticeable are two of the few remaining bells cast by Michael de Wymbis (late 13th or early 14th-century).
Architectural Description— The Chancel (22½ ft. by 13 ft.), including the arcade of two bays opening into the N. chapel and the chancel arch, is modern. The North Chapel (22 ft. by 18 ft.) has a 16th-century E. window of three uncusped lights under a square head. In the N. wall are two similar windows, each of two lights. In the W. wall is a 16th-century doorway with chamfered jambs and four-centred head. The Nave (39 ft. by 16 ft.) has, in the N. wall, two windows; that at the E. end is modern, the second, of two trefoiled lights with tracery in a pointed head, is of late 14th-century date, but restored. In the S. wall the two windows are similar to those in the N. wall, but the tracery of the western window is of the 18th century, or modern; the S. doorway, of late 11th or early 12th-century date, has a narrow square-headed opening; the jambs have edge-roll mouldings, rough attached shafts and chamfered capitals with a cable neck moulding; the W. capital has a lozenge pattern on the abacus, the E. capital is partly modern; the lintel is supported on moulded brackets, and has, on the outer face, a cable moulding with a lozenge pattern carved in low relief above it; the semi-circular arch is of the same section as that of the jambs, and has a solid recessed tympanum. The West Tower (11 ft. by 10 ft.) is of two stages, with diagonal buttresses, a N. stair-turret, and a plain parapet now covered with cement. The two-centred tower arch is of one square order, covered with cement. In the N. wall, opening into the stair-turret, is a small 15th-century doorway, with chamfered jambs and four-centred head. The W. doorway has moulded jambs of late 15th-century date, but the three-centred arch under a square head and the moulded label are apparently of the 16th century; the W. window is original, of three trefoiled lights with uncusped tracery and a moulded label. The bell-chamber has, in the N. wall, a late 15th-century window of two lights with four-centred heads; the S. and W. walls have each a similar window with a single light below it, and in the E. wall is also a single light.
Fittings—Bells: three, 2nd and 3rd inscribed 'Michael de VVymbis me fecit', late 13th or early 14th-century. Bracket: over recess in N. wall of chancel, a semi-octagonal chamfered stone. Brass: In chancel—on floor, S. side, of Richard Redberd, rector of the parish, small figure of priest in Mass vestments, with undated inscription, early 16th-century. Chest: in tower, panelled oak, possibly 17th-century. Glass: in E. window of N. chapel, heraldic, 17th and 18th-century, and a few fragments of earlier date. Monument: In N. chapel—on S. wall, to Charles West, eldest son of Charles, Lord Lewarr (De La Warr), 1684, large black and white marble monument, two figures supporting cornice, with arms and inscription.
Some of the walls of the Churchyard are built partly of 17th-century brick, and on the N. wall, not in situ, are a few 15th or 16th-century coping stones.
Condition—Good, much restored.
(2). Bradenham House, S.E. of the church, is modern externally, except the S. end of the W. front, which may be of late 17th-century date, and is built of brick. The E-shaped plan is possibly that of the manor house built by the second Lord Windsor, who died in 1558, but foundations recently discovered in the garden possibly indicate a former S.W. wing. The interior has been much altered. On the ground floor one room has a small recess, probably of late 17th-century date, with wood jambs and lintel carved with foliage; in the fireplace is a cast-iron fire-back with a double-headed eagle and the date 1626. Another room has richly moulded, 17th-century panelling, now painted. On the first floor, in a passage, there is some early 17th-century panelling, and one room has a late 17th or early 18th-century panelled door within a moulded and carved architrave. Two staircases are of mid 17th-century date, and have turned balusters, massive moulded handrails and square newels with moulded tops.
A wall between the garden and the churchyard is built of 17th-century brick.
The Green, N. side
(3). House, and two groups of Cottages, all of two storeys, were built in the 17th century; the roofs are tiled. The House, at the E. end of the green, probably formerly two or three cottages, has cemented walls and a modern parapet. The central chimney stack is of original bricks. Three Cottages, on the W., form an L-shaped block, built of red bricks with blue headers in the S. front, which is gabled at the E. end, and has dormer windows. The original chimney stack has a square shaft with a moulded cap. Two Cottages further W., form a rectangular block, and were originally of earlier date than the others, but have been re-built, except the E. end, which is timber-framed with brick filling. The central chimney stack has three grouped square shafts built of thin bricks. All the buildings retain old ceiling-beams.
(4). Grims Ditch (see also Aston Clinton, Buckland, Drayton Beauchamp, Great and Little Hampden, Great Missenden, Lee, Monks Risborough, Princes Risborough, and Wendover): two sections, each about 500 yards long, running S.S.E. through Beamangreen and Park Woods. The bank is about 4 ft. above the ditch, which is 30 ft. wide.