An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Buckinghamshire, Volume 2, North. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1913.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
140. GREAT WOOLSTONE.
Fittings—Bells: one, by Anthony Chandler, 1679. Font: circular bowl with four attached shafts having scalloped capitals and chamfered bases, brought from the church of St. Cuthbert, Bedford, 12th-century, brick pedestal modern. Monuments and Floor-slabs. Floor-slabs: In nave—(1) to George, son of George Dudly, 1697; (2) to Ketura, daughter of George Dudly, 1695; (3) to [Ge]orge, son of John Gilpin, 1683; (4) to Ann, daughter of John Gilpin, 1694; (5) to George Dudly, 1699; all have been slightly reduced in size. Plate: includes cup of 1569. Seating: In nave—at W. end, on S. side, one seat with traceried N. standard partly cut away, S. standard, plain and narrow, back rail moulded, early 16th-century.
(2). Farmhouse, about 100 yards N.W. of the church, is of two storeys, built towards the end of the 17th century, and apparently timber-framed, but entirely covered with plaster. The roofs are tiled. The plan is of F-shape, the long range running N. and S., and the two short wings extending towards the E. The range is divided in the middle by a large chimney stack; S. of the stack are the hall and staircase, the parlour and a smaller room; N. of the stack are also three rooms, forming kitchens and offices. Each wing contains one room on each floor. Elevations:—Under the eaves is a plain cornice with mutules; the principal doorway, on the E. front, is probably of c. 1700, and has a shell canopy carried on carved modillions. Many of the windows are original, and have plain wooden frames and mullions, leaded glass and metal casements, and some of them also retain wrought iron furniture. The N. half of the central chimney stack is original, the S. half apparently of c. 1700, or later date. The chimney stack at the N. end of the house has a string-course of moulded brick.
Interior:—The hall has a large ceiling-beam enclosed in panelling, which is probably of c. 1700; the walls are lined with bolection-moulded panelling in two stages, also of c. 1700; the fireplace is surrounded by a heavy moulding and is now blocked; the floor is paved with stone, set in a diamond pattern. The staircase is of c. 1700, and has twisted balusters, a close string and a plain moulded handrail without ramps. The room on the ground floor in the S.E. wing is lined with panelling similar to that in the hall. The two kitchens have plain chamfered ceiling-beams and tiled floors.
(3). Cottage, 140 yards N. of (2), is of two storeys and of the central chimney type, built late in the 16th or early in the 17th century, with a modern extension and porch at the N. end of the E. front. The walls are timber-framed, with brick filling, partly restored and partly whitewashed; at the S. end the lower storey is of modern brick. Some of the window frames are original. The central chimney stack is of thin bricks, and has a rectangular shaft with small square pilasters on all sides; the top has been restored with modern brick.
Interior:—On the ground floor the N. room has an open timber ceiling, and a large open fireplace with a stop-chamfered lintel; the S. room has stop-chamfered beams in the ceiling, an open fireplace with traces of corner seats, and an oven now converted into a boiler. On the first floor is a fireplace with a three-centred arch.
(4). The Cross Keys Inn, 100 yards N. of (3), is of two storeys, built in the 17th century, with modern additions at the back. The walls are of stone, except the gable at the N. end, and the W. wall, which are timber-framed with brick filling. The roofs are thatched. Two of the chimneys are apparently of late 17th-century date. Interior: Some of the ceilings have chamfered beams, and there is one wide fireplace, partly blocked.
(5). House, 130 yards N.W. of the church, is of two storeys, built of stone in the second half of the 17th century. The roofs are tiled. The plan is L-shaped, with the wings extending towards the N. and E. Each wing has a chimney stack of original brick, restored at the top. Interior:— Some of the ceilings have stop-chamfered beams; in the kitchen is a wide, open fireplace, and a similar fireplace in another room has been partly blocked.