An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Buckinghamshire, Volume 2, North. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1913.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
(O.S. 6 in. (a)xxii. N.W. (b)xxii. S.W.)
a(1). Parish Church of St. Michael, stands at the N.E. end of the village and is built of stone rubble. The roofs are covered with lead, except that of the chancel, which is tiled. The N. wall of the Nave is probably partly of the 12th century. The Chancel and chancel arch were re-built c. 1360. In the second half of the 15th century the West Tower was added, the S. wall of the nave re-built, the N. wall probably heightened, and the parapet of the nave added. The building was repaired in 1604. The North Vestry was added in 1875, and the church subsequently restored.
Architectural Description—The Chancel (23 ft. by 12½ ft.) has a modern E. window. In the N. wall, near the E. end, is a doorway opening into the vestry, all modern, except the upper part of the internal splayed jambs, which were formerly those of a window, the rest of the window being now re-set in the vestry: near the W. end is a single-light window of the 14th century, restored; the pointed head has a moulded external label with carved head-stops. In the S. wall are two windows, the eastern a single cinque-foiled light of the 14th century with a moulded external label; the western window is similar to the other, but with a square low-side light below a transom, much restored, except the sill which is rebated for a shutter. The two-centred chancel arch is of two chamfered orders, and of the 14th century, much restored; the jambs are modern, except the moulded N. capital and S. base. The Nave (28 ft. by 20 ft.) has a moulded parapet with two carved grotesque faces on the N. side and one on the S. side. In the N. wall is a window of two lights with tracery, all modern except the sill and part of the external jambs. In the S. wall are two windows of late 15th-century date; the eastern is of three trefoiled lights with modern mullions under a four-centred head which has a moulded external label; the western is of two trefoiled lights under a straight-sided four-centred head with pierced spandrels and an external label which has plain shield-stops; the mullion has been restored: between the windows is the late 15th-century S. doorway with moulded jambs and four-centred head: near the E. end is a projecting staircase, which led to the former rood-loft, and has two 15th-century doorways; the lower doorway has rebated jambs and four-centred head; built into the wall over it, and used as a relieving arch, is the semi-circular head of a 12th-century window; the upper doorway, now blocked, has a square head, and over it is a small trefoiled window which formerly lighted the rood-loft. The West Tower (9 ft. square) is of two stages with diagonal buttresses at the W. angles, and an embattled parapet. The detail is of late 15th-century date. The tower arch is two-centred, of two chamfered orders, and extends the full width of the tower. The W. doorway is slightly restored, and has moulded jambs and two-centred head with a moulded external label; the W. window is of two cinque-foiled lights and tracery in a two-centred head. The upper stage has, in each wall, a window of two trefoiled lights with a pierced spandrel. The Vestry is modern, but in the N. wall is a 14th-century cinque-foiled light with a moulded external label re-set from the chancel, except the splayed jambs, which are modern. The 15th-century Roof of the nave is flat-pitched, of three bays with chamfered tie-beams, wall-posts and brackets, purlins and ridge, most of the ridge being modern; of the plain stone corbels, only the two at the W. end are old.
Fittings—Bells: three and sanctus, 3rd, by James Keene, 1626. Door: In nave—in S. doorway, of studded battens, with strap-hinges, probably 17th-century, restored, moulded frame, planted on, partly modern. Font: octagonal bowl with plain sunk panels, octagonal stem with broach-stops at base, 15th-century. Painting: In chancel—on inner order of chancel arch, traces of scroll pattern. Plate: includes cup and cover paten of 1569. Screen: In chancel—on N. side, back of return stall made up of lower part of rood-screen, with plain chamfered top rail, rebated door-jamb and stop-chamfered muntins, probably 16th-century. Seating: In chancel—on N. side, oak standard with small foliated finial, late 15th or early 16th-century. In nave—at W. end, five standards with trefoil finials, two complete for seat and desk, two for back seat without desk, one with desk only, 16th-century, restored. Miscellanea: In tower—built into N. wall, carved head-corbel, 15th or early 16th-century. Nave— on S. wall, outside, sundial. In churchyard—S. of the church, large stone, partly buried, probably base of churchyard cross.
Condition—Good; the walls have been repointed.
a(2). The Manor Farm, on the S. side of the churchyard, is of two storeys and an attic, built c. 1680. The plan is rectangular, facing S., with a small N.E. wing of one storey; at the W. end is a modern dairy. The original walls are of red and blue bricks, with a plain projecting string-course dividing the storeys. The roofs are tiled. The eaves are boarded, and the ends of the ceiling-joists project.
Interior:—Most of the ceilings have old beams, but some are encased. The parlour has a large open fireplace with chimney-corner seats. The stairs are old and quite plain.
a(3). Rectory Farm or the Old Rectory, on the W. side of the churchyard, is of two storeys and an attic. The walls are of timber and brick; the roofs are thatched. The house was originally of the central chimney type, with a projecting staircase on the W. side; it was built in the first half of the 17th century and enlarged in the 18th and 19th centuries. The E. and W. walls retain a few original timbers, but are otherwise modern. The central chimney stack is of 17th-century brick.
Interior:—The ceilings have original beams, and the roof has curved wind-braces. Some of the rooms have old oak floors.
Condition—Good, much restored.
These cottages are of two storeys, built in the 17th century and timber-framed, almost entirely restored with modern brick; the roofs are thatched.
a (4). Cottage, 550 yards S.S.W. of the church, has modern tenements at each end. The central chimney stack is of early 17th-century brick.
b(5). Cottages, a group, 700 yards S.S.W. of the church. One chimney is original, restored at the top.