An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Buckinghamshire, Volume 2, North. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1913.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
(O.S. 6 in. v. N.W.)
(1). Parish Church of All Saints, stands on the S. side of the village. The walls of the chancel are of irregularly coursed ashlar, those of the nave and aisles are of squared stone rubble; the tower is of rubble. The roofs are covered with slate and with tiles. The Chancel, Nave, and North and South Aisles were built c. 1340: the chancel, apparently, was built first, then the nave, the S. aisle, and lastly the N. aisle. The West Tower was added early in the 15th century. The North and South Porches and the South Vestry are modern. The church was restored in 1869, and the external stonework of the nave and aisles was largely renewed.
The church is a good example of 14th-century work, the E. window of the chancel being especially fine. Among the fittings, the 15th-century brass of a priest, with a curious inscription, is remarkable.
Architectural Description—The Chancel (35 ft. by 17 ft.) has a plain plinth, an external string-course below the window-sills, and, on the N. and S. walls, a moulded cornice enriched with flowers, grotesque heads and beasts, all of the 14th century; the buttresses, one in the middle of the N. wall, and two at each E. angle, are also of the 14th century, and have gabled heads; those at the E. end of the side walls have each, in addition, a square pinnacle, with traceried sides and crocketed gables, head-corbels at the corners and a tall crocketed finial; in each buttress against the E. wall is a niche (see Fittings). The E. window is of c. 1340, and of five trefoiled ogee lights with elaborate tracery in a two-centred head; the jambs, mullions and head are moulded, and the external label has head-stops; the inner edges of the jambs have small attached shafts with moulded bases and bell-capitals; the rear arch is moulded and has a moulded label with modern stops. In the N. wall are two windows; the eastern window is of three trefoiled ogee lights and net tracery, of c. 1340, slightly restored, the western of three cinque-foiled lights and tracery of a modified net pattern, also of c. 1340, with modern mullions and a modern transom about 2 ft. above the sill; externally the jambs, two-centred heads and labels of both windows are moulded; internally the jambs have keeled edge-rolls continued round the moulded rear arches, which have moulded labels; the stops of the labels are carved as heads and grotesque beasts: E. of the western window is a doorway of c. 1340, externally restored; the jambs, two-centred head and internal label are moulded. In the S. wall are two windows similar to those in the N. wall, both restored; the transom, with the stonework below it, of the western window is modern: E. of the western window, now opening into the vestry, is a 15th-century doorway, with moulded jambs and four-centred head; the rear arch, in the vestry, is modern: at the W. end of the wall is a low-side window of early 15th-century date, of one cinque-foiled four-centred light-under a square head with sunk spandrels; it has a transom at the level of the internal string-course, which is carried across it; in the W. jamb are traces of a squint from the aisle: the 14th-century string-course is carried round the N., E. and S. walls, inside, and has modern stops under the chancel arch. The pointed chancel arch is probably of early 15th-century date, and is of two moulded orders dying into the walls; on the E. side is a moulded label, and there are traces of a similar label on the W. side. The Nave (56 ft. by 17 ft.) has mid 14th-century N. and S. arcades of five bays, with pointed arches of two moulded orders, and piers formed of four engaged shafts, with moulded bell-capitals and bases; the responds are half-sections of the piers; both arcades have moulded labels in the nave, with modern stops. The clearstorey has five modern windows on each side. The North Aisle (9 ft. wide) has, in the N. wall, three windows, each of three lights and tracery; they are all modern, except the moulded inner jambs, rear arches and labels with carved stops, and a few stones in the outer jambs, which are of mid 14th-century date: the N. doorway, between the two western windows, is also of mid 14th-century date, and has moulded jambs and two-centred head of two orders separated by a wide hollow; further W. is a modern doorway opening into the parvise staircase, and over the N. doorway is a small trefoiled light of the 14th century, opening into the parvise. A 14th-century moulded string-course is carried round the N. wall, inside, below the sill-level of the windows. The South Aisle (8½ ft. wide) has, in the S. wall, three windows, each of three lights and tracery, all modern, except the 14th-century beast-stops of the internal label of the easternmost window, and a few internal stones which have been re-cut; the S. doorway, between the two western windows, is modern. The West Tower (11 ft. by 10½ ft.) is of two stages, with a moulded plinth, an embattled parapet, a N.E. stair-turret, and diagonal buttresses at the two W. angles; all the detail is of c. 1400. The tower arch is acutely pointed, and of three chamfered orders; the outermost order is continuous with the jambs, and the two inner orders spring from three attached shafts with moulded bell-capitals and bases; on the E. side is a moulded label with returned ends. In the N.E. corner, opening into the stair-turret, is a chamfered doorway with a two-centred head. The W. doorway has a two-centred head of three moulded orders separated by wide hollows, and dying on to jambs of three chamfered orders; in the S. jamb is a deep hole for a wood draw-bar; the external label is moulded. The W. window is of two trefoiled lights with a quatrefoil in a two-centred head. The upper storey of the first stage has, in the S. wall, a trefoiled ogee light. The bell-chamber has, in each wall, a window of two trefoiled lights with a quatrefoil in a two-centred head; the jambs and head are of four chamfered orders; the moulded label is carried round the tower as a string-course: over the E. window is a single trefoiled light. The stair-turret has a trefoiled loop-light. The North Porch, with parvise, and the South Porch are modern. The ceiling of the N. porch has an arched and moulded tie-beam of the 14th century.
Fittings—Brass: In chancel—on N. wall, of John Mordon alias Andrew, 1410, with figure of priest in Mass vestment, scroll issuing from mouth inscribed, 'Jon preyth the sey for hy~ a pat' nost' & an ave', and inscription "Orate p~ aīa mrī Johīs Mordon als~ Andrew quondm~ Rectoris isti' eccliē qui dedit isti eccliē portos missai~ ordinal~ ps~ oculi in crat' ferr' manual p~cesonal~ & eccliē de Olney catholicon legend' aur' & portos in crat' ferr' & eccliē de Hullemorton portos in crat' ferr' & alia ornamēta qui obiit . . . . . die mens' . . . . . an° dnī M°cccc°x cuius aīe ~ppiciet' deus ame'." Chairs: In chancel—two, richly carved, with shaped arms, turned legs, and red velvet seats, late 17th-century. Door: In tower—in doorway of staircase, with plain strap-hinges, possibly 15th-century. Font (see Plate, p. 45): octagonal bowl, with panelled sides of window-tracery pattern, and moulded lower edge, stem also panelled, base moulded, late 14th or early 15th-century. Locker: In chancel—in N. wall, plain, date uncertain. Niches: Chancel—in two E. buttresses, each with trefoiled pointed head, crocketed and gabled label, 14th-century. Piscinae: In chancel—in range with sedilia, jambs with small attached shafts, moulded capitals and bases, cinque-foiled ogee head with moulded label, octofoil basin, jambs 14th-century, much restored, head modern. In S. aisle—with chamfered pointed arch, no jambs or basin, possibly remains of 14th-century piscina. Plate: includes cup and cover paten of first half of 17th century, no marks; large salver of 1671 dated 1694; two pewter flagons, possibly late 17th-century. Recesses: Chancel—under E. window, outside, 1 ft. 5 in. square, with chamfered jambs, lintel and sill, carried down about 2 ft. in thickness of wall, probably led formerly to a charnel vault under the chancel; under N.E. window, inside, plain, possibly modern. Screen: In chancel—across front of recess under N.E. window, remains, of oak, with three cinque-foiled and sub-trefoiled four-centred heads, carved spandrels, 15th-century, restored, mullions modern, westernmost head much damaged, all cusp-points broken. Sedilia: In chancel—three in range with piscina, jambs and intermediate shafts of similar detail to that of piscina, 14th-century, bases perished, heads and spandrels modern.
Condition—Good; except the plinth of the tower which is much decayed.
(2.) The Rectory, about 150 yards N.E. of the church, is of stone, almost entirely re-built in the 18th century. A cellar with two windows opening into an area on the N. side of the house, is of the 17th century; the windows are each of two lights, with jambs, head and mullion of moulded stone.
(3). House, now two tenements, on the E. side of the road to Olney, 170 yards N.E. of the church, is of two storeys, built c. 1699, the date inscribed on the central chimney stack. The walls are of stone rubble; the roof is covered with slate. The plan is rectangular; the central chimney stack is of stone, with a panel, apparently of plaster, on which are scratched the initials and date, 'TPS 1699.' The S. end is gabled, and has a chimney stack of late 17th or early 18th-century brick. Interior:—The wide fireplaces are partly blocked, and the original ceiling-beams are encased.
(4). House, adjoining (3), at the N. end, is of two storeys, built of stone rubble, probably early in the 17th century; the roof is thatched. At the S. end is a large projecting chimney stack of stone, restored at the top with modern brick; at the N. end is a chimney stack of brick, probably of late 17th-century date. Interior:—On the ground floor one room has an open timber ceiling.
(5). House, on the W. side of the road, about 340 yards N.N.E. of the church, is of two storeys and an attic, built of stone rubble, probably late in the 16th century; the roof is tiled. The plan is rectangular. The E. end, facing the road, has a gable with chamfered coping and a moulded apex; the windows have old stop-chamfered lintels of oak. On the N. side, near the E. end, is a large projecting chimney stack of stone, with a 16th-century chamfered plinth; the top is of modern brick; the windows have stop-chamfered oak lintels. The W. end has a gable similar to that at the E. end. On the S. side, near the W. end, is a 16th-century doorway with a moulded oak frame.
Interior:—The ceilings have stop-chamfered beams. On the ground floor is a 16th-century door of battens, and in the S. wall, near the E. end, is a doorway with a moulded oak frame similar to that further W., and formerly external, now covered by the adjoining modern house, and blocked. The kitchen has a little re-used panelling of late 16th or early 17th-century date. On the first floor, in the large N.E. stack, is a square fireplace of moulded stone, probably of the 16th century; in it is set a smaller moulded stone fireplace, probably of later date. The staircase, from the ground floor to the attic, is of late 16th or early 17th-century date, and has square newels with moulded caps, turned balusters and a moulded rail.