An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Buckinghamshire, Volume 2, North. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1913.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
200. STOKE HAMMOND.
(O.S. 6 in. xx. N.W.)
(1). Parish Church of St. Luke, stands on high ground at the N. end of the village, and is built of ironstone, with limestone dressings. All the walls have plain parapets, covered with cement, except those of the chancel and the W. wall of the nave, which are of modern stone. The roofs are covered with lead. There is no detail to show the date of the Nave; it formerly extended to the W. wall of the chancel, and traces of the original S.E. angle are visible in the E. wall of the S. transept; c. 1350 the Chancel was enlarged, and the Central Tower was built in the E. end of the nave. The North and South Transepts were built possibly at the same time as the tower, but more probably they were added late in the 15th century, when the walls of the nave were raised, windows inserted, and new roofs added; probably at the same time the upper part of the tower was re-built and the South Porch added. In 1852 the W. wall of the nave was re-built, and the whole building restored.
The church is especially interesting on account of the development of the plan. Among the fittings the communion table (see Plate, p. 50), dated 1619, the 14th-century bell and some remains of 15th and 17th-century glass are noteworthy.
Architectural Description—The Chancel (23 ft. by 16 ft.) has a late 15th-century E. window of three cinque-foiled lights and tracery under a three-centred head, all restored externally with cement. In the N. wall is a window of two cinque-foiled lights and tracery in a two-centred head with a modern label; the jambs and head are of the 14th century, restored; the mullion and tracery are covered with Roman cement. In the S. wall are two windows; the eastern is similar to that in the N. wall, but the label has 14th-century head-stops; the western is a low-side window of one pointed light with feathered cusping, internally of the 14th century, externally modern, except a few stones: between the windows is a small 14th-century doorway, with moulded jambs and two-centred head, much restored. The Central Tower (8½ ft. square) is of one stage above the nave, with a modern embattled parapet; on the E. and W. walls can be seen the weathering of the former steep-pitched roofs of the nave and chancel. The four arches of the ground stage are of mid 14th-century date, two-centred, and of two chamfered orders; in the E. and W. arches the outer order is continuous; the inner order of the jambs has moulded capitals and bases; the capitals of the W. arch have been renewed or re-cut: the N. and S. arches die into the walls at the springing. In each wall of the bell-chamber is a 14th-century window of two trefoiled ogee lights and tracery in a two-centred head, all partly restored; those in the N. and S. walls are set at a lower level than the others, as the E. and W. walls were originally gabled. The North Transept (10 ft. by 8½ ft.) has, in the E. wall, a modern doorway opening into the vestry. In the N. wall is a late 15th-century window, of three cinque-foiled lights and tracery, under a four-centred head and a label, all much restored externally with cement. The South Transept (10 ft. by 8½ ft.) has, in the S. wall, a window similar to that in the N. transept. The Nave (33½ ft. by 20 ft.) has, in the N. wall, a late 15th-century window similar to those in the transepts, and also restored with cement: at the E. end of the wall is a doorway, now blocked, formerly opening into the stair-turret of the tower; it has rebated jambs and pointed head, and two hooks for the door; some of the stones of the jambs have diagonal tooling and are possibly 12th-century material, re-used: the N. doorway has plain chamfered jambs and two-centred head with a label, and is of uncertain date, externally covered with cement, and now blocked. In the S. wall is a late 15th-century window similar to that in the N. wall; the 15th-century S. doorway has moulded jambs and two-centred head. The W. window is modern, except a few stones in the jambs and one in the head. In the external angle between the N. transept and the N. wall of the nave, is a small chamber forming the entrance to the stair-turret of the tower; in the W. wall is a small blocked window with rebated jambs and pointed head, of uncertain date. The South Porch has an outer entrance probably of late 15th-century date with double chamfered jambs and two-centred arch, partly covered with cement; the label is also cemented and has modern stops. The gable is of brick, covered with cement, and has a sunk panel with a moulded lead slab bearing an 18th-century inscription. In each side wall is a small rectangular window, with chamfered jambs and head; the jambs of the W. window are rebated for a shutter. The weathering of a former roof of the porch is visible in the wall of the nave above the porch. The Roof of the chancel has been considerably restored, but the tie-beams are of the 15th century. The late 15th-century roofs of the N. and S. transepts are each of two bays with cambered tie-beams which have modern carved bosses in the middle of the soffit, and are supported by curved brackets springing from stone corbels, carved as angels holding plain shields. The roof of the nave is of three bays, and has hollow-chamfered cambered tie-beams, moulded ridge and purlins, and chamfered rafters, all of the 15th century, except one tie-beam, dated 1703, and the modern carved bosses; the wall-plates, brackets and corbels are modern.
Fittings—Bells: three and sanctus; 1st, by Bartholomew Atton, 1590; 2nd, inscribed 'Ave Maria,' probably by John Rofford, c. 1370; sanctus, with initials and a coin inlaid, by John Sturdy, 15th-century. Communion Table: In chancel— with six large turned legs, fluted at the top, shaped, carved and inlaid top rail, with date 1619 in four small panels, foot rails moulded, top of table modern. Door: In nave—in S. doorway, modern, with old strap-hinges inside. Font: circular bowl, central stem with four shafts, originally detached, now attached to stem, moulded capitals of shafts die into bowl, stem and shafts with chamfered bases, c. 1350. Glass: In chancel—in S.W. window, with arms of Disney, quarterly (1) and (4) argent a fesse gules with three fleurs de lis thereon, (2) and (3) argent three leopards gules, a martlet sable in centre point, mantled helm and crest with motto 'Deus scutum meum', and date 1681. In nave—in tracery of N. window, (1) figure of bishop with staff, diaper background, (2) to (5) figures of four prophets, three holding books, the other holding a scroll, all with names inscribed in black-letter on scrolls, (2) 'Johel', much discoloured, (3) 'Osee', half-figure only, fragmentary, (4) 'Sofonias', background patched, (5) 'Ezekiel', diaper background, (6) figure of archbishop with pallium, etc., fragmentary, all late 15th-century. Monuments and Floor-slabs. Monuments: In chancel—on N. wall, (1) to Mary, daughter of Thomas Disney, 1658, inscription with skull and crossbones, and lozenge bearing arms; (2) to Mary, daughter of Thomas Disney; to Thomas Disney, rector of the parish, son of Sir Henry Disney, 'lord' of Norton Disney and Swinderbey in Lincolnshire, 1686; to Joane, daughter of Edward Wilks, and wife of Thomas Disney, 1680; to Marke, son of Edward Wilks, 1678; columns supporting pediment with five figures in relief, inscription with skull and crossbones, and two coats of arms—the quartered arms of Disney, and paly of eight pieces a chief with three roses therein. In N. transept—on W. wall, (3) slab, divided into eight partitions, with inscriptions to Mary, wife of Thomas Fountaine, 1650; Joanna, wife of William Fountaine, 1680; Thomas, son of Thomas Fountaine, 1636; Thomas Fountaine, 1668; Thomas, son of William Fountaine, 1656; Bernard Fountaine, 1690; and two other members of the same family, 18th-century. Floor-slabs: In chancel—(1) to Thomas Hillersden, 1658. In nave—(2) to Frances, daughter of Richard Wigg, 1689, also to two children of John Frank. Piscina: In chancel—with trefoiled ogee head and sexfoil basin, 14th-century, basin re-cut and restored. Plate: includes cup, parcel gilt, marks destroyed, late 16th-century, small paten, 1685. Poor-box: In nave—square block with moulded angles, hinged lid with three fastenings, turned baluster stem, dated 1618. Sedilia: In chancel—two, in range with piscina, with cinque-foiled ogee arches in square head with foiled spandrels, in division between first seat and piscina small opening with trefoiled ogee head, use uncertain, all 14th-century. Miscellanea: On S. doorway of chancel, outer archway of porch, and S.E. buttress of S. transept— traces of sundials.
Condition—Good; except the windows, buttresses and parapets, which have been badly restored with cement.
These buildings are almost all of the 17th century, and of two storeys. The walls generally are timber-framed with brick or plaster filling; the roofs are thatched or tiled.
(2). Cottage, now three tenements, on the W. side of the road, about 100 yards S. of the church, is probably of late 16th-century date. The upper storey is partly in the roof, which is half-hipped. The original plan is rectangular, with small addi tions of later date making it T-shaped. The main posts and wall-plates are of considerable size.
(3). Cottage, now two tenements, on the E. side of the road, opposite to (2). The upper storey is partly in the roof, and is lighted by three dormer windows. All the windows have original iron casements.
The Newton Longville road, S.W. side
(4). Cottage, now tenements, 250 yards S. of the church. The back has been re-faced with modern brick, and there are some small modern additions. The wide chimney stack is of old bricks, and is stepped on two sides.
(5). Cottage, about 100 yards S.W. of (4), is of late 16th-century or possibly earlier date. The upper storey is partly in the roof, which is half-hipped at the ends. The walls are constructed in bays, with heavy wall-posts, wall-plates and curved braces, and lighter intermediate studs; some of the braces are missing; the original wattle and daub filling has been almost entirely replaced with brick. At the E. end the upper storey has been under-built with modern brick, and has a heavy tie-beam with a natural camber; in the soffit of the beam are traces of the four-centred head of a doorway, possibly indicating the former existence of an external staircase. The W. end is covered by a small lean-to addition.
(6). The Bell Inn, about ¼ mile S.E. of the church, is of one storey and an attic; the walls are of red and black bricks of late 17th-century date. The original plan is of central chimney type, now sub-divided internally, and with additions of later date at the back. The plain chimney stacks are original.
(7). Cottage, now three, probably formerly two tenements, 800 yards S.E. of the church; the brick filling in the walls is probably not original. The plan is rectangular, with a central chimney stack. Many of the windows have original metal casements.
(8). Cottage, now three tenements, S. of (7). The S. front was completely re-faced with brick in the 18th or 19th century.
(9). Cottage, 50 yards S.E. of (8), is of central chimney type, with modern lean-to outbuildings at each end. The timber-framing of the walls is set fairly close, with plain diagonal braces; the brick filling has been restored.
(10). Cottage, almost opposite to (5). The windows have iron casements.
(11). Cottage, now an outbuilding of the Manor House, ¼ mile S.E. of the church. Only one window remains, and has an iron casement.