An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Buckinghamshire, Volume 2, North. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1913.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
214. WATER EATON.
(O.S. 6 in. xv. S.W.)
These buildings are all of two storeys, erected probably in the 17th century, and originally timber-framed; the filling has been almost entirely renewed, and many of the walls have been re-built with modern brick; all the roofs, except one, are thatched. The cottages are of rectangular plan, each with a central chimney stack, now re-built above the roof.
(1). The George Inn, about ¾ mile S.S.W. of Fenny Stratford Church, on the E. side of the road to Stoke Hammond, and S. of the cross-road to Bletchley. The plan is L-shaped, the wings extending towards the S. and E. The S. wing has an original chimney stack at the S. end, and a tiled roof. The N. wall of the E. wing is of old timber and brick. Interior:—At the junction of the wings is a large open fireplace.
The Bletchley road, N. side
(2). Cottage, about 120 yards N.E. of (1), retains the 17th-century timber-framing at the E. end, which has a half-hipped gable.
(3). Cottage, E. of (2), set back from the road. The timber-framing remains in front, at the E. end, and at the back. Some of the mullioned window-frames are original. Interior:—The ceilings have rough beams, and a large fireplace is partly blocked.
(4). Cottage, 40 yards E. of (3), at a bend in the road. The walls are covered with rough-cast.