An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Buckinghamshire, Volume 2, North. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1913.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
SCHEDULE A. AN INVENTORY OF THE ANCIENT AND HISTORICAL MONUMENTS IN NORTH BUCKINGHAMSHIRE
Accredited to A Date Anterior To 1700, arranged by Parishes.
(1). Parish Church of St. Mary, about ¾ mile N.E. of Verney Junction, is built of stone rubble. The roofs are covered with lead, except those of the chancel and S. porch, which are tiled. The church was partly re-built in 1858, but the Chancel arch, the arcades of the Nave, and the West Tower are of the 14th century, restored. The only detail of an earlier date is a small 12th-century shaft with a capital, formerly used as a pillar-piscina. The tower was apparently altered late in the 15th century.
Architectural Description—The Chancel (22 ft. by 14 ft.) is modern, except the 14th-century chancel arch, which is two-centred and of two chamfered orders with semi-octagonal responds having moulded capitals and bases. The Nave (33 ft. by 16 ft.) has 14th-century N. and S. arcades of three bays; the two-centred arches are of one chamfered order, with labels in the nave which have modern stops; the octagonal columns are without capitals; the moulded bases are apparently modern copies of 14th-century work; the E. responds are pierced, the openings being filled with modern tracery. The clearstorey has circular windows, all modern, except the openings, which are possibly of the 14th century. The North and South Aisles are modern. The West Tower (12 ft. by 9 ft.) is of three stages with a S.W. stair-turret, and is partly enclosed by the N. and S. aisles. The ground stage has, opening into the nave and aisles, three arches, all of the 14th century, two-centred and of two chamfered orders. In the S.W. corner is a small doorway opening into the stair-turret. The late 15th-century W. doorway has moulded jambs and four-centred head with an external label; the W. window is of the same date as the doorway, and of two cinque-foiled lights under a four-centred head.
Fittings—Altar slabs: In chancel—inset in modern communion table, small (7½ in. by 5½ in.) with five well defined incised crosses, and a monogram, probably 'T. A'., scratched on it, found behind a monument when chancel was re-built. In vestry—set in frame, fragment of larger slab with one incised cross. Books: Now at vicarage—five, found behind monument in chancel, 16th-century, one mutilated. Glass: In most of the windows, panels representing various Biblical subjects, Flemish, 16th and 17th-century. In vestry— preserved in frame, fragments, one with representation of human foot, found behind monument in chancel. Monuments: In S. aisle—on N. wall, (1) to Elizabeth Busby, 1651, erected by her brother, Robert Busby, slate slab in foliated frame; on S. wall, (2) of Sir John Busby, 1700, monument with bust. Piscina: In vestry—apparently jambshaft and scalloped capital of a doorway, re-used as pillar-piscina, 12th-century, retooled.
(2). The Old Manor House, N. of the church, is of two storeys, with a cellar. The walls are of brick with stone dressings; the roofs are covered with slate. It was built apparently in the 17th century, and is part of a large house, which formerly extended towards the S.; much of the original building was pulled down in 1859–60; the S. end of the present house, then of three storeys, was reduced to two storeys, and the upper storey was added to the middle part, then of one storey. The domestic offices, at the N. end, formerly farm buildings, are of a later date than the rest of the house. The plan is rectangular, with small projections on the N.W. and S.W. A drawing preserved at the new Manor House shows the original E. front with four gables. The S. Elevation is now the front of the house; the wall has been re-faced with modern brick and has stone quoins; the five windows and the doorway are original and of stone. The W. Elevation has been partly re-faced with modern brick, and has stone quoins; at the S. end, on the ground floor, is a large bay window. The N. Elevation has two gables. The E. Elevation has, at the S. end, original stone quoins and windows with keystones. Interior:— The walls of the older part of the house are lined with oak panelling, much of it being of the 17th century. Several chimney pieces are made up of old oak panelling; that in the dining room is composed of a bedstead of mid 17th-century date. The new Manor House contains the following fittings, said to come from the old house:—some panelling, the hand-rails of the staircase, and a chimney piece made up with panelling and Ionic shafts, all of the 17th century, and in the ceiling of the hall, some early 16th-century roundels carved with heads.
A barn, N.W. of the house, is probably of late 16th-century date, and possibly was formerly a tithe-barn. The walls are of brick, pierced with two rows of narrow loop lights, each about 3 inches wide, and having splayed inner jambs. The roof is tiled. The main block is rectangular and consists of five bays, each about 12 ft. long; in the middle of each side is a projecting bay, making the plan cruciform; that on the E. side is gabled and has a large doorway; on the W. side the main roof is continued down over the projection. Interior:—At each end of the roof of the main block is a truss with cambered tie-beams, curved and ornamental struts and braced collar-beams: the other trusses have no tie-beams.
The stables, N.E. of the house, consist of a rectangular building, dated 1642, with two wings of later date at the back. The original block is of two storeys, built of brick, and covered with modern rough-cast in front. The roofs are tiled, and there was formerly a clock tower. The building is divided by an archway, which has been re-built, but over it is a stone panel bearing the date 1642. In the harness room there are some moulded ceiling-beams and a carved post.
(3). Stocks, in Addington Park, S.E. of the church, have old uprights and leg-boards with four holes; the boards are broken and repaired with iron straps. The original iron lock-clamp remains on the upper board.