An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the County of Cambridgeshire, Volume 2, North-East Cambridgeshire. Originally published by Her Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1972.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
ROYAL COMMISSION ON THE ANCIENT AND HISTORICAL MONUMENTS AND CONSTRUCTIONS OF ENGLAND
Report to The Queen's Most Excellent Majesty
We, the undersigned Commissioners, appointed to make an Inventory of the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions connected with or illustrative of the contemporary culture, civilisation and conditions of life of the people of England, excluding Monmouthshire, from the earliest times to the year 1714, and such further Monuments and Constructions subsequent to that year as may seem in our discretion to be worthy of mention therein, and to specify those which seem most worthy of preservation, do humbly submit to Your Majesty the following Report, being the twenty-seventh Report on the work of the Commission since its first appointment.
3. Following our usual practice we have prepared an illustrated Inventory of the monuments in the area which will be issued as a non-Parliamentary publication entitled North-east Cambridgeshire. As in the Inventory of West Cambridgeshire (1968) accompanying the twenty-third Report, the Commissioners have adopted the terminal date 1850 generally for the monuments described in the Inventory though exercising discretion where reference to later monuments seemed desirable.
5. The descriptions of churches and many other monuments in north-east Cambridgeshire have been referred to the appropriate incumbents and owners, and we are satisfied that no significant standing monument dating from between earliest times and 1850 has been omitted.
6. Our special thanks are due to incumbents and churchwardens and to owners and occupiers who have allowed access by our staff to the monuments in their charge. We are indebted to the custodians of libraries in London and Cambridge for their ready assistance, particularly the Cambridge University Library, the Cambridge Antiquarian Society, the Cambridgeshire County Record Office, and the Royal Institute of British Architects, and to Dr. J. K. S. St Joseph, Director in Aerial Photography in the University of Cambridge. We are most grateful for specialized and local information offered by the Swaffham Internal Drainage Board, and by Mr. J. Clarke, Mr. H. Gingell, Mr. K. S. G. Hinde, Mr. J. T. Norris and Dr. Oliver Rackham.
7. The centres of those villages covered by the Inventory remain on the whole unchanged by modern development since most of the new housing has been kept to the periphery. The medieval churches are generally in good structural condition; however, particular attention has been paid to the study of headstones and memorial sculpture in churchyards because of the chances of their removal or destruction during the current fashion for clearing churchyards. The fenland continues to be subject to artificial drainage and intensive cultivation, but those areas on the chalk which were enclosed in the early 19th century have, as a result of modern agricultural methods and the removal of hedges, reverted to the open appearance which must have existed before their enclosure.
Earthworks and Roman Remains
9. In compiling the foregoing list our criteria have been architectural or archaeological importance, rarity, not only in the local but in the national field, and the degree of loss to the nation that would result from destruction, always bearing in mind the extent to which the monuments are connected with or illustrative of the contemporary culture, civilisation and conditions of life of the people in England, as required by your Majesty's Warrant. We have not taken into account any attendant circumstances, such as the cost of maintenance, usefulness for present-day purposes, or problems of preservation.
10. We desire to express our acknowledgement of the good work accomplished by our executive staff in the preparation of this Inventory, in particular by Mr. S. D. T. Spittle, M.A., A.R.I.B.A., F.S.A., the editor; Mr. C. C. Taylor, B.A., F.S.A., who recorded the earthworks; Mr. A. P. Baggs, M.A., F.S.A., Mr. C. A. Hartridge, M.A., F.R.I.B.A., and Mr. R. F. Taylor, B.A., who recorded the buildings; Dr. B. E. A. Jones, who undertook documentary research; Mr. P. N. Hammond, who prepared the drawings, and Mr. R. Braybrook, who took the photographs. We are also grateful for earlier work on recording buildings by Mr. R. W. McDowall, O.B.E., M.A., F.S.A., and Dr. P. M. G. Eden, M.A., F.S.A.
12. The next Inventory to be prepared by our Cambridge staff will be of the town of Stamford in Lincolnshire. Simultaneously a survey of the earthworks and other early archaeological sites in Northamptonshire will be undertaken.