An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the County of Cambridgeshire, Volume 2, North-East Cambridgeshire. Originally published by Her Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1972.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
3. A reference number is printed before the account of each monument. This number appears on the specially-drawn map of the inhabited area of the parish; these maps have been taken from the available sheets of the O.S. 25 ins. maps which have not been revised for modern detail. Monuments outside this area are also given national grid references.
4. Appropriate map-sheets (Ordnance Survey, 6 ins. to the mile) are listed at the head of the parish account; small letters prefixed to the sheet numbers and to the monument numbers indicate the sheet on which each monument appears.
7. Churches are normally described in the order E. to W. and N. to S., repetitive features such as arcades and windows being numbered in the same order. Dates in the descriptions of memorials are those of the deaths of the persons commemorated, as recorded; surnames in brackets are maiden names. Proper names are recorded as they appear on the memorials or other objects but otherwise the normally accepted spelling has been adopted. Church plate is of silver unless otherwise described.
9. For brevity, a roof described as 'tiled' implies a covering of plain tiles; buildings having 'exposed timber-framing' infers a plaster infilling flush with the studwork; unqualified 'timber-framing' indicates an outer skin of plaster on lath.
12. A glossary of archaeological and architectural terms at the end of the volume contains only those terms which are used in the inventory and for which an insufficient definition is given in the Consise Oxford Dictionary, 4th ed. (1951), reprinted with revised addenda (1954).