An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Dorset, Volume 1, West. Originally published by Her Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1952.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
5 BEAMINSTER (C.c.)
c(1) Parish Church of St. Mary stands on the S. side of Church Street. The walls are of local rubble with some ashlar, the dressings are of the same material; the roofs are covered with stone slates and lead. The E. part of the North Aisle seems to have been the end of the 13th-century transept of a cruciform church. In the 15th century the Chancel was rebuilt, the W. part of the Nave extended or rebuilt and the N.and South Aisles partly or wholly rebuilt. The North Chapel was added in 1505 by John Hillary and the West Tower was under construction in 1503; about the same time the E. bays of the arcades were built on the site of the former crossing; the South West Vestry was built about the middle of the 16th century. The church was restored in 1860–3 and 1889 and the North Porch is modern.
Architectural Description—The Chancel 22½ ft. by 15¾ ft.) has a 15th-century E. window of five cinque-foiled lights with vertical tracery in a two-centred head, with moulded reveals; the tracery-cusping has been removed as has that of several other windows. In the N. wall is an early 16th-century arch, moulded and three-centred and springing from moulded and shafted responds. In the S. wall are two 15th-century windows, each of two cinque-foiled lights with a quatrefoil (the cusps of the eastern removed) in a two-centred head and moulded reveals; the head of the western window has been rebuilt; the doorway, of the same period, has moulded jambs and two-centred head with foliated spandrels and blank shields. The 15th-century chancel-arch is two-centred and of one continuous moulded order; the reveals and soffit have double panels, divided into tiers by trefoiled ogee heads. S. of the arch is a squint to the S. aisle.
The North Chapel (17¾ ft. by 16½ ft.), now the organ-chamber, was added, according to a board within it, by John Hillary of Meerhay in 1505, 'beautified ' by Mary Mills of the same place in 1767 and restored by William Clarke of Beaminster in 1794. The E. window is of four cinque-foiled ogee lights with modern tracery in a two-centred head and moulded reveals. In the N. wall is a window of four trefoiled ogee lights with restored tracery in a four-centred head and moulded reveals. In the W. wall is an arch similar to that in the N. wall of the chancel, but four-centred.
The Nave (84 ft. by 15½ ft.) has N. and S. arcades of five bays, the two eastern of early 16th-century date and the others of late 15th-century date; the arches are two-centred, the later ones being of two moulded orders; the earlier ones are moulded; the piers have each four shafts with moulded capitals and bases and divided by hollow-chamfers; the responds have attached half-piers; the earlier capitals of the piers and responds have carved vine-foliage. In the S.E. angle of the nave is the rood-loft staircase.
The North Aisle (16½ ft. wide) is of late 15th-century date, but incorporates earlier work in the E. bays. The two eastern windows in the N. wall are both of three cinque-foiled lights with vertical tracery in a two-centred head with moulded reveals; the two western windows are largely modern; the N. doorway is modern except for the label-stops carved with half-angels, one holding a shield. The W. wall has a window of three trefoiled lights with vertical tracery in a two-centred head with moulded reveals and much restored.
The South Aisle (14¾ ft. wide) was built late in the 15th century. The E. window is modern except for the rear-arch and part of the jambs and splays; N. of it is the much restored lower doorway to the rood-loft staircase; the staircase projects externally on moulded corbelling with reused dog-tooth ornament. In the S. wall are four windows, the three eastern much restored and similar to those in the N. aisle; the westernmost window is probably a little later but is generally similar to the rest and has a label with returned stops; the S. doorway has moulded jambs and two-centred head. In the W. wall is an arch, perhaps of 14th-century material reset; it is two-centred and of two chamfered orders, the outer continuous and the inner dying on to the responds.
The West Tower (14 ft. by 14¾ ft.) is of three stages (Plate 65) with a modern floor inserted in the second stage; it is of early 16th-century date and has a moulded plinth with a band of quatrefoils at the top and an embattled parapet with panelled pinnacles at the angles and intermediate pinnacles; at the base of these and at the angles of the tower are grotesque beast-corbels. The moulded two-centred tower-arch has moulded and shafted responds, the reveals and soffit have double panels divided into tiers by cinque-foiled ogee heads. In the S. wall is a similar but much lower four-centred arch, opening into the vestry. The W. wall has a recessed four-centred wall-arch, treated like the tower-arch but with a single row of panels and enclosing the W. window and doorway; on the inner moulding are two carved half-angels; the window is modern except for the opening and label-stops carved with mitred heads; the doorway has moulded jambs and four-centred head; the flanking buttresses and one on the N. face have each a pinnacle standing on a carved beast, and two niches with tabernacle-work and modern figures standing on old corbels carved with angels, two holding shields. The roof-corbels of this stage are carved with the symbols of the Evangelists, eagle, phoenix, pelican, fox and snake, fox and goose, angel and grotesque beast. 'The second stage has, in the E. wall, a window of two trefoiled lights in a square head with a label and head-stops; in the N. and S. walls are similar windows but with cinque-foiled ogee heads to the lights; between this and the lower stage is a band of panels traceried or quatre-foiled, with paterae or blank shields; in the middle of this band on the W. face (Plate 72) is a canopied niche containing an image of the Virgin and Child, flanked by two smaller niches with figures of St. James the Less (?) and St. George; above these is a panel in the form of the N. and S. windows; set on this window-panel is a carved Crucifix with the Virgin and St. John; above the panel are three pinnacles standing on angle-corbels and between them two small panels under canopies and carved with a Resurrection and an Ascension; flanking the pinnacles are two secular figures, perhaps of donors, under canopies; at this level there are pinnacles set against the buttresses and standing on carved beasts similar to those below. The bell-chamber has, in each face, two coupled windows each of two cinque-foiled ogee lights with tracery in a two-centred head, moulded reveals and labels and cinque-foiled ogee heads under the transoms.
The South West Vestry was built in the 16th century. In the S. wall is a modern window. In the W. wall is a reset late 14th-century doorway, now blocked; it has moulded jambs and two-centred head; above it is a modern window. The roof-corbels are carved with half-angels.
Fittings—Bells: eight, all by the Bilbies, 1765; 1st and 8th by T. Bilbie senr. and T. Bilbie junr.; 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 6th and 7th by T. Bilbie; 5th by T. Bilbie and Sons. The oak bell-frame is probably contemporary. In the third stage of the tower is a weight-driven device for ringing the bells, consisting of a slatted drum of wood with projecting metal teeth which are adjustable for different chimes; the drum has shaped and moulded spokes and is mounted in a wood frame with a brass plate engraved with the maker's name and date, Thomas Bilbie, Cullumpton, 1767. Bracket: In N. chapel—on E. wall, projecting chamfered slab, mediæval. Brasses: In N. chapel—on W. wall, (1) to Ann, wife of Henry Hillary, 1653–4, inscription only; (2) to Elizabeth (Hillary), wife of William Mills, 1674–5, inscription only; (3) to William Mills of Meerhay, 1760, and Mary his wife, 1771, inscription only. In N. aisle— on E. wall, (4) to Margerie, wife of John Mason, 1591–2, inscription only; on N. wall, (5) to William Brinson, 1723, inscription only. In S. aisle—(6) to John Tone, c. 1500, inscription only. Chairs: In chancel—two with enriched backs and cresting, early 17th-century, made up with modern work. Clock: In tower—third stage, mechanism hung in wrought-iron frame with maker's name-plate attached, R.A. Cloud, 1739; it was remade by W. J. Ives in 1929 re-using much of the original material. Font: Square bowl of Purbeck stone with four round-headed panels on E. face, late 12th-century, stem and base modern. Glass: In chancel—S. wall, in E. window, memorial to Peter, the only son of Peter and Anne Cox, 1850, figure subjects in each light, Resurrection and Ascension. In N. chapel—in E. window, in heads of lights, crowns, and two fragments with foliage in tracery, early 16th-century. Monuments and Floor-slab. Monuments: In N. aisle—on E. wall, (1) to Daniel Cox, 1778, John Cox, 1783, and Samuel Cox, 1801, brothers, white and grey marble wall-monument put up in the lifetime of Samuel, with shield-of-arms and standing female figure leaning on an urn; on N. wall, (2) to John Hoskins and Mary Gifford his daughter, 18th-century, marble wall-monument with Doric side-columns with entablatures, pediment and cartouche-of-arms; (3) to Gershom Levieux, 1735, white marble wall-tablet in stone frame with flanking scroll-brackets and pedimented cornice; (4) to Richard Symes, barrister, 1783, Elizabeth his wife, 1792, Anne their daughter, 1822, and her husband Samuel Cox, 1822, marble wall-monument with oval medallion carved with female figure leaning on an urn and shield-of-arms in frame of foliage; on S. wall, (5) to Henry Samwayes, 1706, Henry his eldest son, 1711, and five other sons, and Mary (Samwayes), wife of Giles Merefeild, 1712, freestone and slate wall-monument with Corinthian side-pilasters, entablature, pediment and cherub-heads. In S. aisle—on S. wall, (6) to Thomas Strode, Sergeant at Law, 1698–9, marble wall-monument (Plate 68) with standing figure in wig, gown, etc., side-pilasters supporting cornice, pediment, urns and achievement-of-arms, two putti (Plate 171) in front of pilasters; (7) to George Strode of Parnham, 1753, and Catherine his wife, daughter of Richard Brodrepp of Mapperton, 1746, white and veined marble monument (Plate 173) probably by P. Scheemakers, erected by Thomas Strode, brother of George, with reclining figures of a man and woman on a sarcophagus and on either side standing allegorical figures one with a cornucopia the other an anchor, above is an achievement-of-arms. In churchyard—W. of the tower, (8) to Betty, daughter of William and Ann Pavy, burnt in the Beaminster fire of 1781, headstone, recently restored. Floor-slab: in N. aisle, towards E. end, to John H..ll and Mary, 179.. Piscinae: In chancel—recess with hollow-chamfered jambs and two-centred head, shelf and rectangular drain with boss, 14th-century. In N. chapel—in S. wall, recess with two-centred head and shelf, mediaeval, sill modern. In S. aisle—in S. wall, recess with trefoiled head and gable, 13th-century, no drain; further W., recess with trefoiled arch in square head with glass-groove, rectangular drain with boss, 15th-century. Plate (Plate 29): includes a cup of 1611 with slender moulded stem, another of 1797 with band of engraved key-pattern ornament round the top of the bowl and plain curved stem, a third of 1845 with twelve-sided bowl embossed with figures of the Apostles in canopied niches and with serpententwined stem, with stand-paten to match, and a pair of flagons and a pair of salvers of 1749 given by George Strode of Parnham. Pulpit (Plate 67): of oak, octagonal with enriched cornice and base-moulding, enriched styles and two tiers of enriched arcaded panels, early 17th-century, restored fluted stem, base modern; said once to have had a canopy with an inscription recording that it was built by Richard Hillary and Lancelot Hallett, 1619. Stoup: In N. aisle—E. of doorway, recess with pointed head, sill modern. Weather-vane: On tower—large gilt cock (Plate 54) 17th or 18th-century. Miscellanea: Incorporated in rood-loft staircase, 13th-century stone with dog-tooth ornament. Incorporated in N.W. buttress of N. aisle, four stones laid horizontally, each with a relief design of a plant and flowers in a vase, probably 16th or 17th-century reused material.
c(2) Holy Trinity Church, on the N. side of the town, was begun in 1849 and consecrated in 1851; Carver and Giles of Taunton were the architects. It contains two late 17th-century high-backed chairs with turned frames, panelled splats and carved cresting, turned legs and carved front stretchers.
c(3) Congregational Chapel, on the N. side of Whitcombe Road 280 yards E.S.E. of the parish church, has walls of squared and coursed stone with ashlar dressings and roofs covered with slates. A tablet on the S. front records that it was built in 1749 and enlarged 1825; the present building appears to date mostly from 1825. In the S. front are two doorways with fan-lights in semicircular heads, with round windows over, and two lofty semicircular-headed windows with mullions and simple tracery. The other fronts have windows with segmental and two-centred heads. Inside there are E. and W. galleries on square moulded posts of wood. On the N. wall is a marble wall-tablet to James Daniel, 1711, put up in 1835.
c(5) Parnham, house 1,100 yards S.S.W. of the church, is of three storeys; the walls are of local rubble, ashlar-faced, and the roofs are covered with stone slates and lead. A house is said to have been built here c. 1400 by John Gerard and some building was done here by William Strode at the end of the 15th century. Robert Strode seems to have largely or entirely rebuilt the house about the middle of the 16th century; to this date belongs the hall with its porches, the wing, originally the kitchen-wing, immediately adjoining the hall on the N., and no doubt another wing to the S. The present kitchen-wing to the N.W. was built as a separate structure in the 17th century. The house was much altered by George Strode (d. 1753) who enlarged it and remodelled the S. and W. fronts. The house passed to the family of Oglander in 1764, and in 1808 various minor alterations were made. In 1810 the Dining Room was added from the designs of Nash who probably remodelled the S. front, and the parapets, pinnacles and gables are mostly of this period. There have been various later alterations and restorations, the kitchen-wing has been joined up to the main building and almost completely modernised.
Though much restored the house is still a building of considerable interest and the W. front by John Nash and the S. front, almost certainly attributable to him, are an important early 19th-century composition in the romantic style (Plate 75). Inside the house there are various notable fittings.
The E. Front (Plate 73) has been very considerably restored and few of the details are original. The windows generally have four-centred lights and square heads with moulded reveals and labels. The middle window of the hall is an insertion with the chimney-stack above it. The three-storeyed porch (Plate 74) has diagonal buttresses and a moulded plinth; the outer archway has moulded jambs and four-centred head; above it is a two-storeyed oriel window, resting on moulded corbelling; the windows are of three lights on the face and one on each return; above the lower window is a 17th-century cartouche with the arms of Strode impaling three helmets. The N. Front has been refaced. The S. Front, remodelled early in the 19th century, is divided into bays by shallow buttresses in two stages finishing in pinnacles above the embattled parapet, the lofty windows on ground and first floors are transomed and mullioned; the fifth bay from the E. is gabled and contains a two-storey bay-window. The W. Front retains an original four-light window in the W. wall of the original porch on the first floor; the dining-room block and the outer porch are additions of 1810 and their features are similar in design to those of the S. front, with the exception of the dining-room windows which were altered later in the century and have square-headed lights. The Kitchen Wing retains some 17th-century ashlar-facing but the details have all been renewed.
Interior. The Great Hall is entered, from the E. porch, by an original doorway with moulded jambs and four-centred arch in a square head with foliated spandrels enclosing blank shields; the door, of the same age, has five ranges of panels, strap-hinges and a knocker; the corresponding doorway on the W. has chamfered jambs and restored head and is fitted with a 17th-century panelled door. In the N. wall are two doorways, one reset, similar to the E. doorway of the hall; one is fitted with a restored and altered door. The screen, brought from elsewhere, is of c. 1600 and has three ranges of panels finished with a moulded and embattled cornice; the upper panels are enriched and the doorway has jamb-shafts and a four-centred head; the gallery-front is made up of old materials. At the S. end of the hall are three original doorways with four-centred heads and partly restored. The two 16th-century windows in the W. wall were formerly blocked; they are both of four four-centred and transomed lights. The fireplace is modern but has a wooden surround, consisting of parts of a 15th-century screen. The ceiling has moulded beams and joists. The three E. windows contain old glass as follows: in the first window, eight mid 16th-century shields-of-arms, mostly with wreaths, (a) Trenchard, (b) Wadham, (c) Burt, (d) Strangways, (e) quartered coat of Courtenay, (f) quartered coat of Strode and the date and name, 1559, John Strode, (g) quartered coat of Paulet with the garter, (h) Delalynde; in the second window, series of eight Flemish 16th-century roundels in wreaths; they include figures of St. Peter, St. Jerome, St. James the Less (?), St. John the Baptist, an abbess, etc., with some Flemish heraldry; in the third window, eight mid 16th-century shields-of-arms, with wreaths, (a) quartered arms of Arundel, (b) Tregonwell, (c) Paulet impaling Tregonwell (?), (d) quartered coat of Morgan (?), (e) Sacheverel, (f) made up quartered coat of Bitton, (g) quartered coat of Morgan, (h) Marward (?). The S.E. Staircase is of early 17th-century date, brought from elsewhere and rearranged; it has turned balusters, enriched strings and newels with shaped and pierced finials; the walls are lined with reset 17th-century panelling. The Drawing Room has two late 17th-century doorsurrounds with enriched eared architraves, carved friezes and cornices; a reset doorway of the same date in the E. wall has Corinthian side-pilasters, enriched entablature and broken pediment; the late 17th-century-style fireplace has a moulded marble surround and an overmantel with carved festoons and pendants of fruit and flowers; the room has a panelled dado. The Dining Room has reset 17th-century panelling and a reset early 17th-century fireplace with moulded jambs and four-centred arch in a square head; above it is an enriched double frieze. The windows have two large glass panels of c. 1500, partly repaired and bearing the arms of Henry VII and figures of St. George and the dragon. The Staircase N. of the hall is of c. 1710–30; the walls are lined with mid 17th-century panelling and in the W. wall is a wooden five-light window of the same period. The Cloak Room, to the W. has a 16th-century five-light window in the W. wall, formerly external. The Oak Room or Sitting Room at the N. end of the main block is lined with early 16th-century linen-fold panelling, said to have come from West Hawsley Place. In the windows is a series of Flemish or Dutch roundels with heraldry and figure-subjects including (a) the Baptism, dated 1611, (b) Judith and Holofernes, dated 1666, (c) Zacharias and Elizabeth, dated 16. 1, (d) Abraham and the angels, 16.0, (e) Samson and the Philistines, 1679, (f) four oval quarries with ships and sea-battles, dated 1666 and 1667, (g) St. Peter and St. Catherine, 1585, and heraldry dated 1658, 1655, 1607 and 1542. The doorway has a four-centred head and E. of it is a hatch with a head of the same form. On the first floor the room above the cloak-room has a five-light 16th-century window in the W. wall and a wooden 17th-century window of four lights in the E. wall; the reset early 17th-century fireplace has a four-centred head and above it is a later 17th-century overmantel with three ranges of panelling, painted with putti, flowers, etc. The room over the Oak Room has some reset 17th-century panelling and a 16th-century fireplace with a four-centred arch in a square head. The rooms further S. have a considerable amount of reused 17th-century panelling; the room over the Drawing Room has carved 17th-century woodwork round the fireplace and the room over the Library has a reset 17th-century overmantel (Plate 47) of three bays with a carved entablature and terminal figures on the pilasters; the side panels have conventional foliage and the middle panel has a figure-subject of Joseph and Potiphar's wife. The room over the Dining Room has a reset overmantel of c. 1630 and of two bays divided and flanked by fluted Ionic pilasters supporting an enriched entablature; the bays have each an enriched arched panel.
c(6) The Manor House (Plate 78), 420 yards E.N.E. of the church, is of two and three storeys with attics and cellars. The walls are of finely finished ashlar and the roofs are slate-covered. It was rebuilt late in the 18th century and altered and considerably enlarged in 1822; plans prepared by G. A. Underwood are preserved in the house. It incorporates a ceiling-panel and fireplace from Fonthill; the former consists of a painting by Andrea Casali of the Feast of the Gods (Plate 76) and the fireplace, late 18th-century, has scenes from the Trojan War (Plate 77). One small room is lined with early 18th-century panelling with a dado-rail, from Clifton Maybank. The Stables, E. of the house, were built c. 1670 and greatly resemble those at Mapperton, they are of one storey, ashlar-faced; the mullion and transom windows have architraves and pediments; the carriage-entrance is probably of 1863. In the garden, E. of the house, is a gateway made up of fragments from Clifton Maybank. These include mid 16th-century enriched pinnacles and shafts with string-courses and later terminals; between them is the archway with moulded jambs and four-centred head. The great Avenue to the N.E. of the house ending at the Pinnacles, a gateway placed for scenic effect on White Sheet Hill, was laid out late in the 18th century. There is a Grotto to the N.W. of the lake.
c(7) Farrs, house 310 yards E.S.E. of the church, is of two storeys with attics; the walls are of stone and the roofs are covered with stone slates. The middle part of the N. wing was built in the 17th century and subsequently extended towards the N. Early in the 18th century the main block, forming the W. wing of the L-shaped plan, was added with the staircase-wing at the back. The early 18th-century S. front has a central doorway with architrave, entablature, consoles and pediment; the two ranges of stone windows are of two lights and those to the ground floor have labels. At the back are similar windows and an oriel-window lighting the staircase. The doorway between the staircase-wings is an 18th-century insertion and has a wooden architrave and pediment; the second staircase wing is modern. The original part of the house retains a four-light window with a label to the kitchen and a two-light window above it; there are windows of the same character on the E. face of the wing. Inside the building, the kitchen retains its original fireplace with moulded jambs and four-centred head. The 18th-century wing has plaster cornices with bay-leaf decoration and, at the E. end, a fireplace with marble slips and a wood surround of c. 1750 (Plate 48) with carved side-scrolls, frieze and cornice-shelf; the rococo enrichment in the frieze includes a heron and C-scrolls.
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys; the walls are of rubble and the roofs are thatched or covered with modern materials. Some of the buildings have exposed ceiling-beams and original fireplaces.
c(8) House (Plate 41), on the N. side of Whitcombe Road 150 yards S.E. of (7), has modern additions at the back and a modern porch. The front has two ranges of three-light windows, with a string-course running over the lower range.
c(9) Hitts House, 400 yards E.S.E. of the church, retains, on the N.E. front, five original stone-mullioned windows; the doorway has a four-centred head and is surmounted by an early 18th-century shell-hood on console brackets. Inside the building the N.W. wall has an original fireplace with moulded jambs and four-centred head and next to it is a semi-circular stone staircase. The garden has 18th-century gate-piers with ball-terminals and a trough with a nozzle discharging from a lead-panel dated 1761.
c(12) Bridge House, on the E. side of Prout Hill 240 yards E. of the church, has original but restored windows of stone with labels. Recent removal of plaster from the W. front has revealed a small blocked window with two triangular-headed lights.
c(14) The Walnuts, house, on the S. side of Prout Hill 180 yards E. of the parish church, reputed formerly to have been the Green Dragon Inn, is of two builds, the N.E. half is probably an 18th-century building remodelled in the 19th century, the back part is modern. The front has panelled stucco pilasters at either end and an eaves-cornice; the central doorway with panelled reveals has flanking pilasters and entablature.
c(20) Almshouses, range of tenements on the N.W. of the churchyard, are of one storey. They were founded by Sir John Strode for six persons but are of three tenements only. The front has two original stone windows and one original doorway with a four-centred head; above them runs a continuous label. A stone panel bears the inscription " God's house, sit honos trino Deo Anno Dom. 1630". There are three original windows at the back.
c (21) House, 90 yards N.W. of the church, is of two storeys with attics. The walls are of brick. It was built in the second half of the 18th century. The front is symmetrically designed with an eaves-cornice of bricks set on arris, and dormers. The windows have stucco-lintels with key-blocks and the doorway has a flat hood on shaped brackets. In the brickwork at first-floor level is a decorative band four courses deep incorporating blue headers.
c(24) House, divided into two shop premises, on the S. side of the Market Place at the corner of Church Street, was built in the 18th century and has been added to later on the S. The N. front has a stone eaves-cornice, plain sash windows and an entrance doorway with moulded architrave and pedimented hood on shaped brackets. Two shop-fronts have been inserted; the E. is modern, the W. (Plate 49) is of c. 1800 and consists of twin bow-windows with doorway between under a continuous cornice.
c(25) House, on W. side of the Market Place 10 yards S. of Hogshill Street, with ashlar walls, was built in the 18th century. The E. front has a chamfered plinth and an eaves-cornice of one dentilled member; there is a central bay-window two storeys high with cornices over the windows on each floor, and to the N. of it an entrance doorway with panelled reveals between Roman Doric half-columns with full entablature breaking forward over each column. The N. and S. ends are gabled with flat copings; on the W. is a wing almost the width of the frontage.
c(26) Houses and shops, formerly the King's Arms, at the S. corner of Hogshill Street and the Market Place, retain two original windows of three lights with a label on the E. front; there are four original windows on the N. front. The 19th-century shop-front facing the Market Place has a doorway in the centre with a bay-window on each side, the one to the S. is built into a carriage-way and the segmental arch is visible at the back. The E. part of the building has attics.
c(27) Garage, 40 yards W. of (26), formerly called Whitehall and then the New Inn, has been greatly altered but retains an original doorway with a four-centred head and a three-light stone window, both probably reset.
c(28) Devonia, house on the S. side of Hogshill Street 100 yards W. of the Market place, has walls of ashlar and brick. The plan is L-shaped. It was built in the 18th century. The N. street front is symmetrical and has a plinth, rusticated quoins, dentil-cornice and parapet, the four windows on each floor have moulded architraves and key-blocks; there is no entrance door in this front. The E. and W. ends are gabled. The S. front and S. wing have brick walls to the upper floor and windows with moulded stone architraves and key-stones.
c(29) House, 30 yards W. of (28), built of brick in the second half of the 18th century, has been refronted in ashlar in the first half of the 19th century. This later street front is symmetrically designed, with the entrance doorway in the middle under a porch with freestanding Doric columns and entablature flanked by two bay-windows the full height of the two storeys. The E. front is built in header-bond with dentil-cornice and rusticated stone quoins; it is symmetrical, with central round-headed doorway with reeded architrave flanked by sash windows with flat brick arches and key-blocks.
c(31) House, in Hogshill Street 150 yards W. of (29), with ashlar front, was built in the 19th century. The windows have flat heads and contain casements of two and three lights with four-centred openings.
c(34) The Elms, immediately W. of the White Hart 170 yards N.N.E. of the parish church, has walls of squared local rubble and ashlar, the roofs are partly covered with stone slates. It was built in the 17th century but has been remodelled and considerably enlarged and the S. front is entirely of late 18th or early 19th-century date. This front has a cornice and parapet; the central doorway has flanking pilasters and a hood over and the windows have recessed beaded architraves. The doorway in the W. front has a moulded architrave and bracketed pediment. The N. front contains ranges of two-light stone-mullioned windows with continuous labels over on each floor. The house has been divided into flats.
c(35) Houses, forming block on the E. corner of Fleet Street and the Market Place, have been considerably altered and the S. front rebuilt in the 18th century. The back parts of the block have a number of stone windows of the 17th and 18th centuries.
c(36) House with shop, on the N. corner of North Street and the Market Place, has several stone-mullioned windows with labels. On the N. front is a gabled dormer with a panel inscribed "This town burnt in 1684 House rebuilt in 1687 W.L.". Inside the building is an original fireplace with a four-centred arch in a square head.
c(37) House, on the N. side of North Street 260 yards E.N.E. of the parish church, is of two storeys with attics. The walls are of stone and brick with ashlar dressings. It was built early in the 18th century but has been considerably modernised internally. The street front has a hollow chamfered stone plinth and brick eaves-cornice with dentils; the doorway in the middle has a moulded architrave with scrolled sidepieces, pulvinated frieze, and bracketed pediment; there is a central window on the first floor with segmental head and moulded architrave with stone shaped side-pieces flush with the wall-face and carved with open flowers. The other windows are tripartite with moulded stone architraves and mullions. Inside there are stop-chamfered beams, a small 18th-century fireplace with enriched moulded stone surround and some 18th-century panelling on the staircase wall.
c(38) House, formerly the Manor Arms Inn, on the N. side of North Street 285 yards E.N.E. of the church, retains a number of original stone-mullioned windows with labels. Near the E. end of the front is a two-storeyed bay-window of three lights with one in each return. The original doorway has a four-centred head.
c(41) House and Shop, on the W. side of Fleet Street 180 yards N.E. of the parish church, has walls of ashlar. It was built late in the 18th century. The shop-front (Plate 49) consists of twin bow-windows with door and fanlight between them, the frieze and cornice over follow the curves of the windows and bow out over the doorway; the glazing bars of the fanlight are set out as interlacing circles. The house-door to the S. with a reeded architrave has a fanlight in a round head.
c(43) Barton End, house on the E. side of Fleet Street 80 yards N. of (42), was shortened towards the W. to make way for the existing 18th-century front block. The old block retains a number of original stonemullioned windows with labels and a two-storeyed porch; the outer archway has chamfered jambs and a flat arched head with a label. Inside the building are some old battened doors with ornamental strap-hinges. The front block of c. 1730–40 is symmetrically designed and has a brick front with a parapet and dormers. The windows have architraves and key-blocks, and the doorway has a bracketed pediment.
c(44) House, 50 yards N. of (43), has original stone windows of two lights and a doorway with side-pilasters and a pediment. The long S. wing forms offices and store-rooms and retains some original stone-mullioned windows.
c(50) Meerhay Farm, house 370 yards N.E. of (49), is of two storeys with attics. It belonged to the family of Hillary and was rebuilt c. 1610 and lengthened at a slightly later date. The N.W. wing was added later in the 17th century, making the plan T-shaped. The N.W. front is ashlar-faced and has an original doorway with moulded jambs and square head; W. of it are two windows of four and six lights respectively with moulded labels; a four-light window remains on the N.E. of the wing; there is also one original window on the first floor. The S.E. elevation (Plate 41) is of coursed rubble and has an original doorway with moulded jambs and four-centred arch in a square head; the original ground-floor windows are of three and four lights with labels and there are some original windows on the first floor; the bay-window is modern. The N.W. wing retains some original stone windows on the S.W. side. Inside the building, the S.W. room of the main block is lined with original plank-partitioning brought from elsewhere in the house. An external doorway retains an old nail-studded door and in the S.W. wall is a stone staircase; the fireplace has moulded jambs and four-centred arch in a square head. The N.E. room retains three quarries of old glass, one with the initials I.R. and a crown, the second with the initials H.H. and the date 1610 and the third with a rayed rose. The kitchen has an open fireplace with a heavy chamfered lintel. The staircase, of c. 1700, has turned balusters. On the first floor is an original fireplace with moulded jambs and four-centred arch in a square head.
a(51) Chapel Marsh Farm, house 1¾ m. N. of the church, retains a number of original stone windows, some with labels. Inside the building are two original muntin and plank partitions and an original fireplace with a four-centred head.
a(52) Buckham Mill, house ¾ m. N.W. of (51), retains some original stone windows on the N.E. front; they are of three and four lights with labels. Inside the building are some original partitions, one having moulded rails; two original fireplaces have four-centred heads.
c (55) Coombe Down Farm, house ¼ m. E. of (5), has been altered and enlarged in the present century. The E. front retains a number of original stonemullioned windows, some with labels; there are also some small windows with triangular heads.
d(56) Whitcombe Farm, house nearly ¾ m. S.E. of the parish church, has walls of brick with stone dressings. It was built late in the 18th or early in the 19th century. The S. front is symmetrical, the doorway has a pedimentshaped stone hood and the windows are of two and three lights with square stone mullions.
d(57) Storridge Farm, house nearly 1¼ m. E.S.E. of the church, has a later addition on the E. The S. front retains four original four-light windows with labels; there are similar three-light windows on the N.
d(58) Mapperton Marsh Farm, 600 yards E. of (57), retains some original stone-mullioned windows with labels on the E. side; the doorway has a door dated 1782; on this side is a square staircase-wing. Inside the building is one original fireplace with moulded jambs and depressed arch in a square head. In the attics is some plain 17th-century panelling. A cottage of two tenements forms a N. extension of the house; it retains some original stone windows with labels.
d(59) Coombe Cottage, now three tenements, 670 yards S. of (57), was built c. 1600 and has a later extension on the W. Inside the building are three original moulded beams carved with paterae. There are also some old oak partitions.
a(60) Tunnel, 13/8 m. N.W. of the church, has the S.E. entrance in this parish, the N.W. in Broadwindsor. The internal lining is of brick and the entrances are built of rubble and ashlar. There is an inscription panel at each end recording the public's indebtedness for the erection of the tunnel chiefly to Giles Russell of Beaminster; it was begun in 1831 and finished in 1832; M. Lang, civil engineer. The entrances consist of semi-circular rusticated arches with keystones and plain imposts; each has a heavy string over and a parapet wall above containing the inscription panel. The embankment-walls flanking the approaches are shaped and battered.
b(61) Bowl Barrows, on Beaminster Down 1¾ m. N.E. of the church, are four in number. The more southerly (a), 65 yards N. of the road, is 53 ft. by 70 ft. in diam. and 6 ft. high. (b), 480 yards to the N., is 66 ft. by 96 ft. in diam. and 10 ft. high. These barrows were opened in 1874 by S.S. Cox who found in one of them, near the middle, an inverted "crock" full of bones and with charred wood lying near; a second vessel was found at a higher level (R. Hine, Hist. of Beaminster, 1914, p. 3). Two small barrows (c) and (d), 90 yards S.E. of (b), have been ploughed in the past, they are approximately 21 ft. and 24 ft. in diam. and 9 in. and 1 ft. high.
d(68) Lynchets, on the W. and S.E. slopes of White Sheet Hill 1¼ m. N.E. of the church and extending some distance to the E., form a number of groups of which those on White Sheet Hill are the best defined.