An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Dorset, Volume 1, West. Originally published by Her Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1952.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
79 SANDFORD ORCAS (E.a.)
(O.S. 6 in. V, N.E.)
Sandford Orcas is a parish on the N. border of the county 2½ m. N.N.W. of Sherborne. The church, the Manor House and Jerrards are the principal monuments.
(1) Parish Church of St. Nicholas stands to the N. of the village. The walls are of local coursed rubble with dressings of Ham Hill stone; the roofs are covered with stone slates. The Nave is of uncertain age but is probably the earliest part of the existing building. The Chancel was rebuilt in the 14th century and in the middle of the 15th century the South Chapel was rebuilt and the West Tower and South Porch added. The church was restored in 1871 when the North Aisle was added.
Architectural Description—The Chancel (24¾ ft. by 14¼ ft.) has a 15th-century E. window of three cinque-foiled lights with vertical tracery in a two-centred head with a moulded label, head-stops and a 14th-century trefoiled rear-arch. In the N. wall are two early 14th-century windows, the eastern of two trefoiled ogee lights with a quatrefoil in a two-centred head with a label and trefoiled rear-arch; the western window is of a single pointed light with a label. In the S. wall are two windows similar to the N.E. window but with plain rear-arches; the western has head-stops to the label; the early 14th-century doorway has chamfered jambs, two-centred arch and label. The much restored 15th-century chancel-arch is two-centred and moulded, the outer members continuous and the inner springing from attached shafts; both these and the outer members have moulded capitals carved with paterae and modern bases; S. of the arch is a squint.
The Nave (35¼ ft. by 17¼ ft.) has a modern N. arcade of three bays. In the S. wall is a 15th-century arch, two-centred and of one continuous chamfered order; further W. are a 15th-century doorway and window; the former has moulded jambs and two-centred head; the window is of two trefoiled lights with plain tracery in a two-centred head with a moulded label and returned stops.
The South Chapel (12¼ ft. by 10¼ ft.) has a 15th-century E. window of three cinque-foiled lights with vertical tracery in a two-centred head with moulded reveals and label. In the S. wall is a window of the same date and of four cinque-foiled lights in a square head with moulded reveals. In the W. wall is a partly restored doorway with moulded jambs and two-centred head.
The West Tower (about 10 ft. square) is of the 15th century and of three storeys with an embattled parapet and gargoyles. The moulded tower-arch is two-centred and springs from moulded and shafted responds with moulded bases and capitals carved with paterae. The W. window is of three cinque-foiled lights with vertical tracery in a two-centred head with moulded reveals; the W. doorway has moulded jambs and two-centred arch in a square head with leaves in the spandrels and a label with one remaining head-stop. The second storey has, in the W. wall, a window of one trefoiled ogee light. The bell-chamber has, in each wall, a window of two trefoiled lights with a quatrefoil in a two-centred head with a label and head-stops.
The South Porch has a 15th-century outer archway, two-centred and moulded, and springing from moulded and shafted responds with moulded capitals and bases.
Fittings—Alms Box (Plate 35): In nave, attached to pew—of oak with enriched framing and carved figure subjects, dated 1700, foreign. Bells: five; 1st by Thomas Purdue, 1679, given by Francis Cheek; 2nd by W. Jefferies at Bristol, 1837; 3rd by R. P., 17th-century; 4th by William Bilbie at Chewstoke, 1788. Benefactor's Table: In N. aisle—on N. wall, with details of a charity of 1726, painted 1804. Brass: In S. chapel, under E. window, to John Hutchings, 1846, and his wife Elizabeth Clark Hutchings, 1845, with two shields-of-arms. Chair: In S. chapel—with turned legs, shaped arms, arcaded back and cresting, 17th-century. Churchyard Cross: S. of church, part of square to octagonal shaft on square to octagonal base, 15th-century. Communion Table: In tower—with turned legs and enriched top-rail, 17th-century. Desk: In N. aisle—made up with 17th-century panels enriched with guilloche ornament etc. Font (Plate 13): round bowl with rounded underside, bowl enriched with large continuous vertical flutings finished with a scalloped edge at the top, moulded necking, cylindrical stem and moulded base, early 13th-century. Cover: of oak with high turned central post supported by four scrolled brackets, 17th-century. Glass: In chancel— S. window, in memory of Jane, wife of Joseph Collier Cookworthy, 1840, figure subjects in the two main lights and tracery. In S. chapel—E. and S. windows, in memory of John Hutchings, 1846, and Elizabeth Clark Hutchings, 1845, figure subjects in the main lights and tracery, probably post-1850. Monuments: In S. chapel—on W. wall, (1) to William Knoyle, 1607–8, painted alabaster wall-monument (Plate 19) with kneeling figures of man in armour, two wives, four swaddled infants by first wife, three sons and four daughters by second wife, entablature and three shields-of-arms; (2) to John Hutchings, 1774, and Elizabeth (Medlicott), his wife, 1757, black and white marble wall-monument with Latin inscription. It has an eared and voluted architrave with cornice, broken pediment and urn, and is supported on a moulded shelf with apron and cartouche containing a painted achievement-of-arms, much faded. In tower—(3) to Johan Peitevir, early 14th-century, broken slab with inscription in Lombardic capitals. In churchyard—S. of chancel, (4) to Joane, wife of Bernard Gould, 1645, table-tomb; (5) to T.A., 1587, table-tomb; (6) name defaced, 1636, slab. Painting: In S. chapel—on E. wall, decayed painting of a shield with the arms of Knoyle impaling Fry, 16th-century. Piscinae: In chancel—recess with trefoiled head, shelf and round drain, 13th-century. In S. chapel—recess with trefoiled arch in square head, no drain, 15th-century. Plate: includes an Elizabethan cup and cover-paten, a stand-paten, 1722, given by Mrs. Elizabeth Hunt, and a flagon, 1727 (Plate 31). Screen (Plate 205): In tower-arch—of three bays including central doorway, with moulded and buttressed posts, side bays each with three open upper panels with cinque-foiled traceried heads and crockets, moulded rail and close lower panels with traceried heads, crockets and foliage, central bay with similar heads to open panels above door-head, the latter enriched with paterae, door of two leaves in four-centred head with traceried and carved spandrels, door-leaves each with three trefoil-headed open upper panels, carved rail and close lower panels similar to those of side bays of screen, 15th-century, base and cornice restored.
(2) The Manor House, S.E. of the church, is of two storeys with attics; the walls are of squared rubble with ashlar facings and dressings of Ham Hill stone; the roofs are covered with stone slates. The house was built, on a somewhat unusual plan, in the first half of the 16th century; it consisted of a main block with a porch on the E., two wings projecting to the W. and a gate-house adjoining the N. side of the N.W. wing. A rectangular range a short distance to the W. may be of rather later date but it has been much altered and is now joined to the main building at each end, forming a small central courtyard. The house belonged to the Knoyle family in the 16th and 17th centuries, but the alliance with Fry represented by the shield on the porch has not been identified. The house passed into the possession of the Hutchings family by purchase in the first half of the 18th century and it was extensively restored by Hubert Hutchings in 1873.
The house is an interesting example of the period.
The E. Front (Plate 157) has a gable at each end surmounted by a monkey holding or formerly holding a shield; the southern gable is a modern restoration; the two-storeyed porch is also gabled and has octagonal angle-shafts with concave faces finished with finials; the outer archway has moulded jambs and four-centred head and above it is a lozenge-shaped panel (Plate 56) with a mutilated achievement of the arms of Knoyle impaling Fry of Iwerne; the upper storey has a three-light window with a label. Below the S. gable of the front is a two-storeyed bay-window of six lights on the face and one on each canted side; the lower window has a transom; the other windows of the front are of two, three and four square-headed lights. The S. End (Plate 157) of the main block has a modern gable and below it a two-storeyed bay window similar to that on the E. front but with eight lights on the face. The S.W. or Solar wing has a plinth continued from the main building; there is a single-light window on the ground floor and one of four lights on the first floor. The W. Front of the main block has a gabled staircase wing adjoining the S.W. wing. The windows have square-headed lights. The N. End has a projecting chimney-stack with a large rectangular shaft and a foliated capping; the upper part of the shaft and capping have been renewed but part of the original capping is preserved in the garden. Some of the windows on this side have been restored.
The Gatehouse (Plate 156) is of two storeys divided by a string-course. The inner and outer archways have moulded jambs and four-centred heads; the outer arch is flanked by small buttresses and above it is a lozenge-shaped panel with foliage-bosses at the angles; above it again is a three-light window; to the S. of the main arch is a doorway with moulded jambs and four-centred head opening into the passage for foot-passengers; the corresponding doorway at the inner end of the passage has chamfered jambs and four-centred head. Projecting from the N. side of the gatehouse is a small gabled garderobe wing. The W. Range, formerly a detached block of outbuildings, is of one storey with attics. Externally it has been completely modernised, except for a doorway with moulded jambs and four-centred head.
Interior: The 16th-century doorway, within the porch, has moulded jambs and four-centred arch in a square head and is hung with a panelled and nail-studded door; the corresponding doorway at the W. end of the screens has chamfered jambs and four-centred head; in the N. wall adjoining is a doorway to a circular stone staircase and further E. a second doorway, both with moulded jambs and four-centred head. The early 17th-century screen (Plate 51) across the N. end of the Hall, is of five bays, including two doorways, divided by fluted Corinthian pilasters supporting a panelled entablature with pierced pinnacles and strapwork-cresting above; the bays are panelled and there are similar panels above the door-heads. The Hall has a 16th-century stone fireplace with moulded jambs and four-centred arch in a square head; the fireplace is flanked by fluted Ionic pilasters of oak supporting an overmantel of two stages, the lower of four and the upper of five bays; the latter are divided and flanked by terminal figures supporting a carved frieze; the bays have enriched arched panels; the overmantel is of late 16th or early 17th-century materials made up with some modern work. In the S. window is the following heraldic glass—(a and c) fleur-de-lis in a wreath; (b) Henry VIII impaling Anne Boleyn; (d) Knoyle impaling Payne; (e) Knoyle quartering Payne; (f) (e) impaling the quartered arms of Martin of Athelhampton, 16th and 17th-century. To the S.W. of the Hall is a second circular stone staircase. The Dining Room has a fireplace with moulded jambs and four-centred arch in a square head; the late 16th or early 17th-century overmantel is of four bays divided and flanked by fluted pilasters supporting an entablature; the bays are panelled. There is some 17th century panelling on the walls. In the E. window are two glass roundels with a Crucifixion and a figure-subject probably from the Old Testament. On the first floor, the room over the Dining Room is entered from the N. circular staircase by a panelled porch or lobby of c. 1600 with an entablature. The fireplace is modern or much restored; it is flanked by fluted oak columns supporting an overmantel, said to have come from the Joiners' Hall, Salisbury; it is of three bays divided and flanked by Composite pilasters or columns supporting an enriched cornice and the middle bay has a large carved achievement of the Royal Stuart arms (Plate 56); the overmantel has been made up with modern work. On the W. wall is some early 17th-century panelling with an enriched entablature; in the E. window are four roundels of 16th-century German glass with the symbols of the Evangelists; in the N. window is a made-up shield-of-arms. The room over the porch has three pieces of 15th-century glass with (a) a Crucifixion, (b) the initials Ihc and (c) a chalice and wafer. The bedroom over the N. end of the hall has a reconstructed porch or lobby of panelling of c. 1600; on the W. wall is a dado of early 17th-century panelling; in the window are two roundels, one with a hunting scene and one with a shield of a stag's head. The bedroom over the S. end of the hall has a restored porch or lobby of c. 1600 with fluted Ionic pilasters and an entablature; the fireplace has moulded jambs and four-centred head; in the windows are the following pieces of glass—quartered shield of Sir William Kingston, K.G. (d. 1540); heads of a man and woman, German, dated 1531; figure-subject, German, dated 1634; 15th-century roundels with the heads of a bishop, bearded saint and female saint; two shields of the arms of the see of London; shield-of-arms of Urswick; Jacob and the angel, German. A window in the S. circular staircase has the following pieces of glass: two crowned and rayed roses; a knot with the initials A.D.H.; the symbol of St. Matthew; parts of inscriptions; four figure-subjects including Joseph being put in the pit. The top window of the staircase has twenty-two small panels of foreign figure-subjects, one dated 1556. The Solar, in the S.W. wing, has a fireplace with moulded jambs and four-centred head; the dado incorporates some early 16th-century linenfold panels and some early 17th-century panels; the overmantel incorporates 17th-century materials including arched panels and strapwork cartouches. The window has five pieces of glass—(a) head of a crowned female saint, c. 1300; (b) head of a bearded man, c. 1300; (c) country-scene; (d) country-scene, foreign, dated 1702; (e) woman, foreign, dated 1695. In the Gatehouse the room above the gateway has a fireplace with moulded jambs and four-centred head; the early 17th-century overmantel is of three bays with fluted pilasters supporting an entablature; the bays have ornamental panels.
(3) Jerrards, house and outbuildings, 620 yards S.S.W. of the church. The House is of two storeys with attics; the walls are of rubble and the roofs are covered with stone slates. The S. part of the main block of the house was built probably late in the 15th or early in the 16th century; the rest of the main block with the porch on the E. and the two small wings on the W. was built early in the 17th century, and to the same period belongs the kitchen-wing on the S. There is a modern extension on the N. The E. Front (Plate 158) of the main block has an original buttress at the S. end; the windows are of the 17th century and of two and four square-headed lights; the outer archway of the porch has moulded imposts and a round head with strapwork-ornament; above it is a band of strapworkornament with the date 1616 and a cornice; in the gable is a lozenge-shaped panel with a shield of the arms of Gerrard. The W. Front (Plate 158) has two small gabled wings of three storeys; the windows, where old, are of the 17th century, mostly with labels; those in the N. wing are of four lights and the lowest has a transom; in the S. wing the top window has a pediment; in the modern wall, between the bays, is a lozenge-shaped panel with a crowned lion. The Kitchen Wing retains some 17th-century windows, partly reset, and a doorway of the same period with moulded jambs and four-centred arch. Inside the building, the Entrance Hall has a 17th-century fireplace with moulded jambs and four-centred arch in a square head; the doorways are of the same period and have moulded jambs and four-centred arches. The Writing Room in one of the W. wings has a 17th-century fireplace and some reused panelling. In the modern wing is a reset 17th-century fireplace with moulded jambs and four-centred arch in a square head with a band of conventional carving above. On the first floor, one 17th-century fireplace is preserved.
The Pigeon House adjoins the Kitchen Range on the S.E. and is a square gabled building of late 17th or early 18th-century date. The Outbuilding to the E. has been much altered and is now used as a guest-house. It is probably of the 17th century and contains a 16th-century iron fire-back with leopards and shields with the initials E.E. The Outbuilding, S.E. of the Pigeon House, is probably of early 18th-century date. The doorway has a moulded architrave and cornice; the windows have each a mullion and transom and a cornice. The Gateway to the courtyard has reset 17th-century moulded jambs. In the courtyard an open lean-to shelter has a stone column of late 17th or 18th-century date. The Barn, W. of the Kitchen wing, was built late in the 16th century and is now a building of seven bays with a porch on the N. and S. sides. The W. end has original buttresses and a loop-light. The porches have original buttresses at the E. angles and in the E. wall of each is a doorway with moulded jambs and four-centred head; the main entrances to the porches have moulded jambs and flat lintels. The W. part of the roof is original and is of collar-beam type with curved braces. In the N.E. angle of the barn is a reset 15th-century stone with a quatre-foiled panel.
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys; the walls are of rubble and the roofs are thatched or covered with modern materials. Some of the buildings have exposed ceiling-beams and original fireplaces.
(4) House, on the E. side of the road at Higher Sandford, ¾ m. S.S.E. of the church, has been much altered.
(5) Higher Dairy Farm, house 140 yards N.N.W. of (4), retains two original mullioned windows, one with a label.
(6) Cottage, on the N.W. side of the road, 70 yards N. of (5), has been much altered.
(7) Cottage, on the E. side of the road, 80 yards N.E. of (6), is somewhat dilapidated.
(8) Cottage, 120 yards N. of (7) and 950 yards S.S.E. of the church.
(9) Cottage, 200 yards N.N.E. of (8), has a later extension on the S.
(10) Cottage, W. of and nearly opposite (9).
(11) House, on W. side of the road, 250 yards S.S.E. of the church, has walls of roughly dressed stone. It was built early in the 18th century. The windows are of three lights with wood frames flush with the wallface. The N. and S. ends are gabled.
(12) Mill House, 230 yards N.W. of the church, has some 18th-century windows with solid frames.
(13) Weathergrove, house over ½ m. N.N.W. of the church, was built c. 1700.