An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Dorset, Volume 1, West. Originally published by Her Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1952.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
17 BURTON BRADSTOCK (C.e.)
c(1) Parish Church of St. Mary (Plates 2, 84) stands in the village. The walls are of local rubble with dressings of the same material; the roofs are covered with lead and stone slates. The Nave is of uncertain date, the earliest existing features being the 14th-century windows in the N. wall. The Transepts, Central Tower and North Porch were built late in the 14th or early in the 15th century. The Chancel was rebuilt early in the 16th century, but the S. wall has been rebuilt or refaced at a later date. The church was extensively restored in 1897 when the S. arcade and South Aisle were rebuilt.
Architectural Description—The Chancel (19 ft. by 14 ft.) has a modern E. window. In the N. wall are two early 16th-century windows of two pointed lights in a square head with a label and returned stops; the W. splay of the eastern window has two slots perhaps for fixing the lenten-veil; the early 16th-century doorway has chamfered jambs and four-centred head with a label. In the S. wall are the splays and rear-arch of a blocked window similar in character to those in the N. wall.
The Central Tower (11½ ft. by 12¼ ft.) is of three stages with an embattled parapet and a S.W. stair-turret. The ground stage (Plate 84) has, in each wall, a late 14th or early 15th-century arch, two-centred and of one moulded order with panelled reveals and soffit; the panels have trefoiled heads and the arch-mouldings are interrupted by moulded capitals. The second stage has a small rectangular light in the N. wall. The bell-chamber has, in each wall, a window of two transomed rectangular lights with solid trefoiled heads and an unpierced quatrefoil in a two-centred main head with a label and head-stops.
The North Transept (11 ft. by 13¾ ft.) is of late 14th or early 15th-century date and has a N. window of three cinque-foiled lights with vertical tracery in a segmental-pointed head with moulded reveals with head-stops; the splays are shafted.
The Nave (52 ft. by 16 ft.) has, in the N. wall, three windows, the easternmost probably of the 16th century and of one light with a segmental head, carved with two rosettes; the other windows are of the 14th century and of three cinque-foiled ogee lights with tracery in a square head with a moulded label and human or beast stops; the late 14th or early 15th-century N. doorway has moulded jambs and two-centred head. In the S. wall is a modern arcade and to the E. of it is the upper doorway to the former rood-loft. In the W. wall is an early 15th-century window of three cinque-foiled lights with vertical tracery in a two-centred head, with moulded reveals, label and head-stops; the W. doorway, of the same date, has moulded jambs, two-centred arch and label with head-stops.
The North Porch is of late 14th or early 15th-century date and has an outer archway with moulded jambs and two-centred head; it has a later rebate cut in it; above it is a niche with a trefoiled ogee head and label.
The Roof of the N. transept is of early 15th-century date partly restored and of barrel-form with embattled plates carved with paterae and shields and moulded ribs forming panels with foliage-bosses at the intersections, except two which are carved with heads. The roof of the S. transept is of similar form, with foliage-bosses; there is no apparent wall-plate on the W. side. The roof of the nave is of similar form, and of eight bays of four panels each with an embattled plate on the N. side; the bosses are carved and painted. The ceiling of the crossing rests on stone corbels, carved with half-angels and heads.
Fittings—Bells: six; 1st by James Smith, 1762; 5th by William Purdue, 1615; 6th by George Purdue, 1616. Bracket: In crossing—on N. respond of E. arch, moulded, on head-corbel, early 15th-century. Brass: In slab at W. end of nave, to Sarah Ingram, , plate. Clock: In tower—in second stage, by . . . Thwaites, London, 1788, altered by Thwaites and Reed, 1819; it came from Christ's Hospital, Newgate Street, in 1902. Coffin-lid: In chancel—tapering slab with raised foliated cross, 13th or 14th-century. Communion Rails: with turned balusters and finials, moulded top-rail with the initials and date T.B., I.D., C.W., 1686. Door: In N. doorway—of old battens, with scratched date 1681 (?). Font: octagonal bowl with cinquefoil or trefoil-headed panels, singly or in pairs, moulded under side, 14th-century, cylindrical shaft with square moulded base and spur-ornaments, late 12th-century. Monuments and Floor-slabs. Monuments: In N. transept —on E. wall, (1) to Major John Ironsyde, 1694, and Katherine, wife of John Ironsyde, 1705, moulded stone tablet with two shields-of-arms; on W. wall, (2) to Elizabeth, wife of John Best, 1747, and others later, stone wall-tablet in frame with broken pediment, cherub and emblems of mortality. In nave—on N. wall, (3) to Rear-Admiral Ingram, 1826, Sarah (King) his wife, 1810, and another, white and veined marble wall-tablet with flanking pilasters and blank shield. In churchyard—in wall of S. aisle, (4) to John Beere, 1631, and Mary his wife, 1612, slab; (5) to William Beere, 1694, slab; S.W. of S. aisle, (6) to Samuel Beere, 1705, table-tomb; N.W. of nave, (7) to William Smith, 1706, and Dorothy his wife, 1695, table-tomb. Floor-slabs: In crossing—(1) to Gilbert Ironsyde, 1678, with shield-of-arms; (2) two enriched slabs, S. one with part of date 170., Niches: In N. porch— in E. wall, with three-centred head, canopy, bracket, buttresses and vaulting, all cut back, 15th-century; across N.E. angle, with defaced cusped arch in square head, 15th-century. Painting: Remains of colour on W. face of W. arch of crossing. Panelling: In chancel —dado made up of 17th-century panelling. Piscinae: In chancel—in S.E. angle, recess with trefoiled head, round projecting drain and stone shelf, 13th-century, recut and reset. In N. transept—in S.E. angle, pillar-piscina with moulded capping and base and small canopy with crocketed ogee heads and finials, drain with rosette, 15th-century. In S. transept—in S.E. angle, similar feature but only canopy remains. Plate: includes a cup and cover-paten of 1573, a paten of 1692, a flagon of 1778 and a second cup of 1814, the last three presented in 1824. Recess: In nave—in N. wall, with flat cinque-foiled ogee head with foliated spandrels, cusp-points carved with angels, and lions' heads, 14th-century. Royal Arms: In nave—over N. door, framed painting on wood, 1814–1837, with the initials V.R. added. Seating: In chancel—two desks, incorporating seven late 15th-century French panels with elaborate flowing tracery and plain shields and some 17th-century panelling. Stoup: In N.E. angle of porch—recess with broken basin and moulded base, 15th or early 16th-century. Tiles: Under E. arch of crossing— fragments of early 14th-century slip-tiles. Miscellanea: In nave—on W. wall, the decalogue painted on two panels with cherubs in the corners, 18th-century; painted inscription recording the charity of Matthew Darby of Bockhampton, 1784. In S. aisle—on E. wall, table of the Creed, 18th century; on S. wall, table of the Lord's Prayer, 18th century.
c (2) The Rookery, house 100 yards N.E. of the church, is of two storeys; the walls are of rubble and the roofs are slate-covered. The S. part of the main block was built in the 17th century and not long after extended to the N. and the staircase-wing and porch added. There are modern additions on the N. and S. The house retains a number of stone-mullioned windows with labels on both the W. and E. sides. The W. doorway has moulded jambs and four-centred arch in a square head with a label raised some distance above it; the battened door has ornamental strap-hinges and old fittings. The E. porch has an outer archway with imposts and pointed head. Inside the building, the drawing-room has a 17th-century plaster ceiling with decorations including a lozenge, rose, paterae, foliage, lion, fleur-de-lis and angels; the fireplace has moulded jambs and four-centred head. The doorway in the porch has a solid frame and cambered head and there is a similar doorway to the staircase. The early 18th-century staircase has turned balusters, square newels and close strings. Elsewhere in the house are other 17th-century fireplaces and a length of muntin and plank partition. The S. part of the house retains its original collar-beam roof.
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys; the walls are of rubble and the roofs, where old, are thatched. Some of the buildings have exposed ceiling-beams and original fireplaces.
c(6) Three Horse Shoes Inn, house 50 yards W. of (5), has rubble walls partly cement-rendered. The N. wing is an addition and the bay window in the S. front was inserted in the 18th century. Some original windows with stop-chamfered heads and two and three-light wood frames remain.
c(16) House, 220 yards N.W. of the church, has the main front faced with brick and the roofs covered with tiles. It was built in the 18th century. The doorway with fanlight has an eared architrave and a Venetian window above it on the first floor; the remaining sash windows have gauged-brick heads with keystones. There are two dormers with hipped roofs and the ends of the house are gabled.
c(22) White House, on the E. side of the road 40 yards S. of (19), is of L-shaped plan and retains some of its original stone-mullioned windows with labels. On the S.W. gable is a stone with the initials and date S. B. 1635. Inside the building, the drawing-room has an original moulded ceiling-beam and there are remains of an original fireplace in the dining-room. The staircase has symmetrically turned balusters and square newels with turned finials. There are two original fireplaces on the first floor. The drawing-room fireplace has an 18th-century surround with a frieze and cornice.
a(29) Mound, probably the remains of a barrow, at the W. end of North Hill, nearly 1 m. N.W. of the church, is 52 ft. in diam. and 3 ft. high; it has been much disturbed. The fairly large stones in and around the disturbance indicate the material composing the mound.
b(30) Lynchets, on the N. and W. slopes of the hill ½ m. W. of the church, extend to the cliff on the W. The terraces are divided by a cross-balk about 90 yards from the cliff. To the W. of it there are three main terraces interrupted by the cliff, about 18 yards wide and 2½ ft. high. To the E. of the balk the system is irregular but there are two main terraces.