An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex, Volume 2, Central and South west. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1921.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
40. HAVERING ATTE BOWER. (C.d.)
(1). Parish Church of St. John the Evangelist was entirely re-built in 1878. The former church formed part of the buildings of Havering Palace. The modern church contains from the old building the following:—
Fittings—Font: octagonal, tapering bowl of Purbeck marble, each face with two round-headed panels, formerly painted, late 12th-century. Floor-slabs: In N. aisle—(1) to Thomas Cheek, 1688, Lieutenant of the Tower; (2) to Henry, son of Thomas Cheek, 168–.
(2). Stocks and Whipping Post (Plate p. 258), on the Green, S.E. of the church. The Stocks are for two persons; the Whipping Post, at one end, has lost its ironwork except the staple. The woodwork is probably of late 17th or early 18th-century date.