An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex, Volume 2, Central and South west. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1921.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
73. NOAK HILL (D.d.)
(O.S. 6 in. lxvii. N.W.)
Noak Hill is a small civil parish formed out of Romford in 1895.
(1). Church of St. Thomas is entirely modern, but contains the following ancient:—
Fittings—Brasses: Fixed on gallery front—(1) of civilian, early 15th-century; (2) of civilian, late 15th-century; (3) of civilian in cloak, late 16th-century. Glass: In E. window under Renaissance canopy large Crucifixion with the two thieves, four angels, St. Mary Magdalene, the Virgin, St. John, Mary, the mother of James, and Mary Salome, two figures on horseback, and two soldiers holding the sponge and spear respectively; in lower part of window, the Virgin, man and woman, probably St. Elizabeth and Zacharias, St. John the Baptist and St. Peter, early 17th-century; upper part said to have come from Notre Dame du Lac, Tirlemont, Belgium; lower part from Rouen. In easternmost window on N.—five medallions, (a) badge of Jane Seymour (Plate p. xxxvii.), in a wreath with initials H. A. wrongly placed; (b) crowned shield of France, modern, quartering England in a wreath with initials H.A.; (c) fleur-de-lis in wreath, all early 16th-century; (d) shield of the arms of the duchy of Lorraine in a wreath; (e) shield of the arms of the duchy of Barre in a wreath, 16th-century; also a picture-panel of Doeg before Saul with inscription below, 17th-century. In second window on N.— quartered shield of Manners, Earl of Rutland, with Garter, 17th-century. In third window, achievement of Neave arms, 17th-century, with modern additions. In easternmost window on S. side— three medallions of French heraldry, 16th-century; below, three picture panels of (a) the Incredulity of St. Thomas; (b) the Scourging; (c) the Agony in the Garden; (a and b) 17th-century, (c) later. In second window—in a cartouche, arms of Charles II. In third window—quartered shield of arms, late 17th-century. In W. window—panel with Garter and Arms of Queen Anne. Miscellanea: In chancel—on N. wall, carved wooden panel of the Crucifixion with predella of the bearing of the cross, foreign work, probably 17th-century.
(2). Homestead Moat, at site of Cockerells, 1 m. S.E. of the church.
(3). Angel Cottage, about ½ m. E.N.E. of the church, is of two storeys, timber-framed and plastered; the roofs are tiled. It was built early in the 16th century, and originally had a central Hall with a gabled cross-wing at the N. and S. ends; the S. wing has been destroyed. On the W. front the upper storey of the cross-wing projects on exposed joists and curved brackets. The N. chimney-stack has two 17th-century shafts set diagonally. Inside the building, the Hall-block has an original cambered tie-beam with a small king-post on a stepped base.