An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex, Volume 2, Central and South west. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1921.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
77. ROMFORD RURAL (C.e.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)lxvi. S.E. (b)lxvii. N.W.)
Romford Rural is a large civil parish adjoining Romford Urban on the N.
b(1). Roman tiles are said to have been found at the N. end of the parish adjoining the road between the Bear Inn and Haroldhill House.
a(2). Homestead Moat, at the site of Marks Hall, 1½ m. W. of Romford Church.
a(3). Stables, at Gidea Hall, about 1 m. N.E. of Romford church. The house was built in 1718, but the stables W. of it incorporate portions of a brick and timber-framed building, probably of early 16th-century date. One original window, now internal, is of three transomed lights with moulded mullions. Brick foundations are said to have been found at the back of the house.
The following monuments, unless otherwise stated, are of the 17th century, and of two storeys, timber-framed and plastered; the roofs are tiled or thatched. Some of the buildings have exposed ceiling-beams, wide fireplaces and original chimneystacks.
Condition—Good, or fairly good, unless noted.
a(4). Lowland's Farm, house at the S.W. end of the parish, N. of the London Road and 1 m. W.S.W. of Romford church, was built probably on a rectangular plan with a small wing on the centre of the N. side; later in the 17th. century a small wing containing a porch was added to the centre of of the S. side; at the W. end and the back are additions, probably of the 18th century. On the S. front the upper storey of the porch-wing projects, and the upper storey of the main block E. of this wing apparently also projected, but has been under-built. The original central chimney-stack is of irregular L-shaped plan.
a(5). Pigtails or Crown Farm, house, 500 yards W.N.W. of (4), was built probably in the 16th century on a half H-shaped plan with the wings projecting towards the N.; later additions at the back make the present plan rectangular. The original chimney-stack has grouped diagonal shafts. Inside the building an original fireplace has a massive oak bressumer carved with conventional leaf ornament between two large rosettes.
a(6). Hawkin's atte Well, house, 1½ m. N.N.E. of (4) and 1 m. N. of Romford church, was built probably on a half H-shaped plan with the wings extending towards the W.; at the back are extensive 18th-century and modern additions. On the E. front the upper storey probably projected. Two original chimney-stacks have detached diagonal shafts.
a(7). Ship Inn, on the N. side of the London Road, at Hare Street, 1 m. N.E. of Romford church, was built probably c. 1600 on a rectangular plan, but has been extended at the E. end and has a modern wing at the back. The original central chimney-stack has grouped diagonal shafts. Inside the building, the W. room on the ground floor is lined with original panelling, and has an oak overmantel of three panelled bays, divided by tapered Ionic pilasters and surmounted by an enriched frieze and a cornice.
a(8). Cottage, adjoining railway, 700 yards S.E. of (7), has modern extensions at each end. The original chimney-stack has two diagonal shafts on a stepped and moulded base.