An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex, Volume 2, Central and South west. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1921.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
46. KELVEDON HATCH. (D.d.)
(1). Parish Church of St. Nicholas. The old church, which stands 1 m. N.W. of the modern church, was re-built in 1753 and was finally dismantled in 1895. The church retains the following fittings except the bell which has been removed to the new church—Bell: inscribed "Sancte Andree Ora Pro Nobis" with shield of arms, a cheveron with three molets in chief and a crescent in base, possibly by John Kebyll, 15th-century; the former oak stock lies on the floor of the old church. Brasses and Indents. Brasses: In chancel—on N. wall, (1) to John Wright, 1608, inscription-plate from indent (3); on floor (2) to Ann (Suliard) wife of John Wright, 1617, inscription-plate, slab also inscribed to John Wright, 1654, and John Wright, 1656; (3) to Richard Luther and his brother Anthony, inscription-plate and shield of arms; no date; inscriptions cut in slab to Richard Luther, 1638, and Edward Hitchcock, 1672; (4) to Jane (Armstrong) wife of Anthony Luther , inscription-plate and shield of arms; (5) to Abigal (Hawes) wife of Robert Thurkettle, 1656, inscription-plate and shield of arms. Indents: In chancel, (1) of two figures with inscription-plate, 16th-century; the slab also inscribed to Francis (Waldegrave), wife of John Wright, 1656; (2) of figure, inscription-plate and four shields, probably late 15th-century; (3) of brass (1), slab also inscribed to the same John Wright. Monuments and Floor-slabs—(see also under Brasses and Indents). Monuments: In churchyard—(1) to Jonathan Wingrue, 1704, headstone carved with hour-glass, skull and crossbones; (2) to Rebekah, wife of Jonathan Walmesley, 1710, headstone. Floor-slabs: In chancel—(1) to Bridget (Sadler), wife of Anthony Luther, 1649, and Mrs. Anne Luther, 1680, with shield of arms; (2) probably to one of the Luther family, inscription defaced; (3) to Anthony Luther, 1665, his son Gilbert, 1664, and Anthony Luther, 1692, with shield of arms; (4) to Robert Thurkettle, 1679, with shield of arms. Plate: includes cup and paten of 1674, inscribed 1675.
(3). Germains, house and moat, 500 yards S.S.W. of the old church. The House is of two storeys, timber-framed and plastered; the roofs are tiled. It was built probably early in the 16th century with a central Hall and cross-wings at the E. and W. ends. Inside the building, one room has exposed ceiling-beams and joists and at the junction of the Hall and the E. wing is an original curved and chamfered brace.
(4). House and moat, 100 yards E. of the modern church. The House is of two storeys, timber-framed and faced with 18th-century brickwork; the roofs are tiled. It was built probably in the second half of the 16th century, and has an original chimney-stack with a moulded capping and modern shafts (Plate, p. 129). Inside the building, the original staircase has moulded handrails, flat shaped balusters and newels with moulded cappings; the walls have plaster panelling with moulded ribs, two plaster medallions, one defaced, and a crowned fleur-de-lis. On the first floor are two original doorways with stop-moulded jambs and head.
(5). Cottage, about 150 yards W.S.W. of the modern church, is of two storeys, timber-framed and weather-boarded; the roofs are tiled. It was built probably late in the 16th century on an L-shaped plan with the wings projecting towards the W. and S. Two chimney-stacks are original and have two and three octagonal shafts respectively. Inside the building is an original fireplace with chamfered jambs and elliptical head.
(6). The Rectory, about ½ m. E. of the old church, is of two storeys, timber-framed and plastered; the roofs are tiled. The N. part of the house was built probably in the 16th century. The central block was added c. 1700, and there is a modern extension on the S. Some windows of c. 1700 with moulded mullions and transoms remain in the central block. Inside the building, the original timber-framing is partly exposed in the N. part of the house.