An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex, Volume 2, Central and South west. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1921.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
78. ROMFORD URBAN. (C.e.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)lxvi. S.E. (b)lxxiv. N.E.)
Romford is a market town and outer suburb of London, 6 m. S.W. of Brentwood. The Parish Church contains some handsome alabaster monuments that were in the old church.
a(1). Parish Church of St. Edward the Confessor was entirely re-built in 1849, but contains from the old church the following:—
Fittings—Monuments: In N. aisle—against N. wall, (1) of Sir Anthony Cooke, 1576, preceptor to Edward VI., and Anne (Fitzwilliams), his wife, alabaster monument (Plate p. 203), with panelled base and three bays divided by Corinthian columns supporting an entablature with a pediment over the middle bay and four panelled obelisks; in middle bay, kneeling figures of man in armour and wife in ruff and cloak, at prayer-desk; in W. bay, kneeling figures of two sons in armour; and in E. bay, kneeling figures of four daughters; cartouche and seven shields of arms; (2) epitaph to Sir Anthony Cooke, 1576, on alabaster tablet with strapwork frame. In S. porch—against E. wall, (3) of Sir George Hervy, 1605, Lieutenant of the Tower, and Fraunces (Beckwith), his wife, marble monument (Plate p. 251), flanked by Corinthian columns supporting an entablature and enclosing two enriched wall-arches with kneeling figures of man in armour and wife at prayer-desk, five sons and six daughters, two shields of arms, (one defaced); against W. wall, (4) of Anne (Hervy), wife of George Carew, 1605, marble monument (Plate p. 102), with moulded base supporting effigy of lady in ruff, stomacher, etc., reclining on left elbow, panelled back to monument, surmounted by coffered cornice and two pendants with Corinthian capitals, cartouche of arms above; (5) chamfered slab with long defaced inscription, early 17th-century. In churchyard—S. of S. aisle, (6) Nathaniel Rogers, 1683, slab. Plate: Includes cup and stand-paten, probably of 1623; large cup of 1661 with shield of arms; salver of 1654 with shield of arms and two flagons of 1653.
a(2). Church House (Plate p. 45), formerly the Cock and Bell Inn, E. of the churchyard, is of two storeys, timber-framed and plastered; the roofs are tiled. It was built late in the 15th century, but the front has been much altered in the 18th century, when the former projecting upper storey was under-built. On the N. part of the W. side the upper storey projects and has a moulded bressumer with one curved bracket; below is an original doorway with moulded jambs and four-centred arch in a square head. Inside the building the ceiling-beams are exposed, and there is an original doorway with a four-centred head, now blocked, and with three lights above it. On the first floor the front room is lined with 17th-century panelling and has an original roof with stop-chamfered tie-beam and king-post with struts and a central purlin; the tie-beam has one curved brace.
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of the 17th century, and of two storeys, timber-framed and plastered; the roofs are tiled. Some of the buildings have original chimney-stacks and exposed ceiling-beams.
Condition—Good or fairly good.
a(3). Block of Shops and houses, on the S. side of the Market Place, opposite the church, is of three storeys and has been entirely altered in front. At the back are two small shaped gables of brick and probably original.
a(4). The Golden Lion, at the S.W. corner of North Street, 70 yards S.W. of the church, was built in the 16th century. On the E. side the upper storey projects on curved brackets and has a small gable in the middle. Inside the building one room has original moulded ceiling-beams and plates.
London Road, N. side
a(5). Block of Shops and houses, 350 yards S.W. of the church, has five gables in front.
a(6). House, now three shops, 30 yards S. of (5), is of three storeys.
a(7). House, four tenements, 50 yards S.W. of (6).
a(8). House, now two shops, 30 yards S.W. of (7), has an original window with a moulded frame. The original central chimney-stack has four grouped shafts, set diagonally.
b(9). Bell House (Plate p. 128), about 1¼ m. S.W. of the church, was built probably late in the 16th century. In a bell-cote in the middle of the roof is a bell by Gerrit Schimmel, 1670, cast at Daventry.
a(10). Mound, about ½ m. E.N.E. of the church, is about 6 ft. high and is surrounded by a wet ditch; it was probably a mill-mound.