An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex, Volume 2, Central and South west. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1921.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
9. BOBBINGWORTH. (D.c.)
b(1). Parish Church of St. Germain stands in the middle of the parish. The Nave was re-built or entirely re-faced probably late in the 18th century, and the Chancel was re-built and the Tower added in the 19th century. The Roof of the nave is of uncertain date; it is of the trussed rafter type with one stop-chamfered tie-beam and modern wall-plates.
Fittings—Brasses: In chancel—on N. wall, (1) to William Bourn, 1581, inscription and achievement of arms. On S. wall, (2) to Robert Bourne, 1639; inscription and two shields. Chest: In vestry—iron-bound with shaped feet, four slits for coins, two staples, probably late 17th-century, now painted. Panelling: In nave—on N. and S. walls, dado made up of late 16th-century and later panelling, upper range of panels with raised centres, moulded top rail largely modern. Clerk's desk, next to pulpit, made up of similar panelling. Piscina: In nave—re-set in S. wall, with moulded two-centred arch, jambs with attached shafts having moulded bases and capitals carried along as imposts, 13th-century. Plate: Includes cup of 1635, and paten probably of 1683 inscribed "Bovinger 1684." Pulpit: Of oak, hexagonal, with moulded top and rail, angle-posts with simple arabesque enrichment, panelled sides with plain jewel ornament and upper panels also with arabesques, poor work, early 17th-century.
b(3). Gainthorpes, house and moat, 300 yards N. of the church. The House is of two storeys, timber-framed and covered with rough-cast and weather-boarding; the roofs are tiled. It was built in the 17th century on a rectangular plan with gables at the N. ends of the E. and W. sides. The chimney-stack has diagonal pilaster strips.
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys, timber-framed and covered with plaster or weather-boarding. The roofs are tiled. Some of the buildings have exposed ceiling-beams, wide fireplaces and original chimney-stacks.
b(5). Newhouse, house, 800 yards N. of the church, was built on a half H-shaped plan with the wings extending towards the N. and with a staircase wing on the N. side. Inside the building is some original panelling.