An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex, Volume 2, Central and South west. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1921.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
18. CHINGFORD. (B.d.)
c(1). Church of S.S. Peter and Paul (Plate p. 53) stands about 1 m. S.W. of the town and the modern parish church. The walls are of ragstone and flint-rubble, mostly coursed, and with some septaria in the N. wall of the nave; the S. porch is of brick; the dressings are of Reigate stone; the roof of the chancel is tiled; the nave and aisle are roofless. The N. wall of the Nave is probably of the 12th century, but the upper part has been re-built in the 15th century. The S. arcade and South Aisle were built c. 1270–80. The West Tower was added c. 1400 and the Chancel was re-built shortly after. Early in the 16th century the South Porch was added. Probably late in the 17th century the walls of the S. aisle were heightened in brick. When the new church was built in 1844 the old building was allowed to fall into decay and the S. arcade has fallen.
Architectural Description—The Chancel (25 ft. by 18 ft.) is entirely of the 15th century, and has an E. window of three cinque-foiled lights with vertical tracery in a two-centred head with a moulded label and jambs; the mullions and tracery are modern. In the N. wall are two windows each of two cinque-foiled lights under a segmental-pointed head with a moulded label; both are now blocked with brick; between the windows is a doorway with moulded jambs, four-centred head and label. In the S. wall are two windows uniform with those in the N. wall. The two-centred chancel-arch is of two moulded orders, the outer continuous and the inner resting on attached shafts with moulded capitals and bases; the opening has a modern brick wall below the springing line.
The Nave (51 ft. by 21 ft.) has in the N. wall two 15th-century windows each of three cinque-foiled lights in a segmental-pointed head with a moulded label; between the windows is the 15th-century N. doorway with moulded jambs and two-centred arch with a moulded label. The late 13th-century S. arcade was probably of four bays but has fallen except the E. respond and the bases of the second and third columns, which are round; the E. respond is semi-octagonal with a moulded capital; loose stones of the former arcade are stacked in the S. aisle.
The South Aisle (9½ ft. wide) has in the E. wall a 15th-century window formerly of two cinque-foiled lights under a square head with a moulded label and now blocked. In the S. wall are two windows, the eastern is of the 15th century and of two cinque-foiled lights in a square head with a defaced label; the western window was probably uniform with the eastern but has been much altered and has a modern wooden frame; between the windows is the 13th-century S. doorway with a two-centred arch of two moulded orders, the inner continuous and the outer resting on detached shafts with moulded capitals and bases with spur ornaments. In the W. wall is a late 13th-century window opening, now blocked, and with a 15th-century window of one cinque-foiled light in a square head set in the blocking.
The West Tower (11 ft. by 10½ ft.) is of c. 1400 and of two stages with an embattled parapet. The two-centred tower-arch is of two chamfered orders, both dying into the walls. The W. window is of one cinque-foiled light with moulded jambs and is now blocked; above it is a plain loop. The bell-chamber has in each wall a window of two cinque-foiled lights in a square head with a moulded label.
The South Porch is of early 16th-century brickwork, with a moulded cornice at the base of the gable and continued under the eaves. The four-centred outer archway is of two moulded orders with a moulded label; the responds are double chamfered and have moulded imposts. In both the E. and W. walls is a window of three lights each with a four-centred head.
The Roof of the chancel is of the 15th century and of the braced collar-beam type; on the N. is a moulded and embattled wall-plate. The roof of the nave has been destroyed but marks on the W. wall indicate a king-post construction. The roof of the S. aisle has also been destroyed except for parts of two tie-beams and the 17th-century moulded and dentilled wall-plate.
Fittings—Bells: In modern church—three; 1st by Anthony Bartlet, 1657; 2nd by Robert Oldfield, 1626. Brass Indents: In chancel— (1) with figures of man and wife, shield and inscription plate of former brass to Robert Rampston, late 16th-century; on S. wall, (2) of rectangular plate. Chest: In modern church—iron-bound with three locks, 17th-century. Doors: In chancel— in N. doorway, of feathered battens with strap-hinges, 15th-century. In N. doorway—of battens with strap-hinges, 15th-century. Font: In modern church—square bowl, of Purbeck marble, each face with five shallow panels, circular stem with four angle-shafts, and chamfered base, late 12th-century, top modern. Locker: In nave—S. of chancel arch, square with rebated reveals, 15th-century. Monuments and Floor-slabs. Monuments: In chancel—(1) to Thomas Boothby, 1669, black and white marble tablet with drapery, cherubs' heads and shield of arms. In modern church—(2) of Margaret, wife of Robert Leigh, 1624, wall-monument with kneeling figure of woman at prayer-desk in arched recess surmounted by entablature, broken pediment, obelisks and figure of time, three shields of arms; (3) of Sir Robert Leigh, 1612, wall-monument with kneeling figure of man in armour at prayer-desk under arched recess, flanked by obelisks and surmounted by cornice with three shields of arms; (4) of Mary, wife of Robert Leigh, 1602, wall-monument with reclining figure of woman and swaddled infant, in bed under draped canopy, enriched pilasters at sides with entablature and shield of arms. Floor-slabs: In chancel—(1) to Margaret, daughter of Sir Thomas Leigh, 1644; (2) to Anne, daughter of Sir Thomas Leigh, 1640; (3) to Edward Leigh, 1691, with shield of arms; (4) to Thomas Boothby, 1669; (5) to Robert Leigh, 1672/3, with shield of arms. In nave—(6) to Elizabeth (Stone), wife of Edward Leigh, 1673. In S. porch—(7) to Sarah, wife of Nicholas Pigot, 1670. Panelling: In chancel—panelled dado, late 16th-century. Piscina: In S. aisle—in S. wall, with projecting quatre-foiled drain, possibly 13th-century, modern head. Plate: includes cup and cover-paten of 1595; stand-paten of 1699 and flagon of 1705. Screen: Under chancel-arch—at springing level, moulded and dentilled beam surmounted by a pierced ornamental finial at each end, of wood, early 17th-century. Stoup: In nave—E. of N. doorway, with chamfered jambs, two-centred head and round bowl, 15th-century. Miscellanea: In chancel—moulded capital of former W. respond, and other fragments, 13th-century.
b(5). "Queen Elizabeth's Hunting Lodge," now museum, 1¾ m. E.N.E. of the old church, is of three storeys, timber-framed and plastered; the roofs are tiled. It was built early in the 16th century as a 'Standing' or building from which to view the hunting. The two upper floors had open studding, above breast height, except at the junction with the staircase wing, and the floors are said to have been laid to a fall to carry off rain-water. Late in the 19th century the building was restored, the timber-framing cased with boards externally and the roof opened out; the open studding is now partly filled in.
Inside the building the timber-framing is exposed. The ground floor has chamfered ceiling-beams and old doorways. The first floor forms a single room and has original moulded ceiling-beams; between the studding is moulded framing, partly fitted with modern windows; the doorway from the staircase has an original moulded frame and four-centred head with foliated spandrels. The second floor has also a single room of three bays with two roof-trusses; these trusses appear to have originally had tie-beams, now cut back near the walls, and the collars have the mortices of a former central purlin; the existing curved and moulded principals appear to have been inserted late in the 16th century; the moulded wall-plates and posts are original. The former open studding has late 16th-century framing similar to that on the floor below. The staircase wing has similar moulded framing and a collar-beam truss to the roof; the doorway has moulded jambs, four-centred head and sunk spandrels.
c(6). Pimphall Farm, house, dove-house and barn, 1 m. E.N.E. of the old church. The House is of two storeys, timber-framed and plastered; the roofs are tiled. It was built probably late in the 16th century on an L-shaped plan with the wings extending towards the N.W. and N.E. On the S.W. front is an original window of two lights with a moulded frame. Inside the building are original ceiling-beams.