An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex, Volume 2, Central and South west. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1921.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
21. DODDINGHURST. (D.d.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)lix. N.W. (b)lix. N.E. (c)lix. S.W. (d)lix. S.E.)
Doddinghurst is a parish about 3½ m. N. of Brentwood with a small hamlet at Fox Hatch.
b(1). Parish Church of All Saints stands on the N. side of the parish. The remaining ancient wall is of flint-rubble; the dressings are of limestone. The roofs are tiled and the bell-turret weather-boarded and surmounted by a small shingled spire. The Nave, of which the N. wall is ancient, may be of the 13th century, the date of the re-set S. doorway. The South Porch was added late in the 15th or early in the 16th century and the bell-turret is probably of the same date. The church was restored in 1886 when the Chancel was entirely re-built, the North Vestry and Organ Chamber added and the S. and W. walls of the nave either re-built or entirely refaced.
Architectural Description—The Nave (47½ ft. by 22¼ ft.), has in the N. wall two modern windows. In the S. wall is a modern window and further W. the re-set S. doorway of which part of the jambs, the inner order of the arch and three stones of the outer order are of c. 1220; the jambs and two-centred arch are of two orders the inner hollow-chamfered and the other moulded, the arch having "dog-tooth" ornament on the soffit. The bell-turret at the W. end of the nave stands on four angle and two intermediate posts, all chamfered and supporting tie-beams with curved braces and cross-beams to form a square to support the turret; two modern posts have been inserted.
The South Porch (Plate p. 186) is of timber and of two bays and stands on modern dwarf walls. The four-centred outer archway has a moulded head or fascia and at each side is a moulded sill both internally and externally; flanking the archway are two openings with four-centred heads. The side walls have each ten similar lights; some of the mullions and all the heads are modern.
The Roof of the nave is of the 15th century and has four trusses with double-chamfered plates, chamfered tie-beams, king-posts with four-way struts, central purlin and trussed rafters. The roof of the S. porch has two late 15th or early 16th-century tie-beams with curved braces.
Fittings—Bells: three; said to be 1st by Thomas Laurence, early 16th century and inscribed "Sancte Nicolai Ora Pro Nobis"; 2nd by James Bagley, 1712; 3rd by Robert Mot, 1578. Chair: In vestry—with panelled back and fluted frieze, shaped arms and turned legs, early 17th-century. Images: On rood-beam—carved and painted wooden figures of Crucifix, the Virgin and St. John, foreign work possibly late 17th-century and presented by late rector. Monuments: In churchyard—S.E. of chancel, (1) to Nathaniel Snow, 16–3, John, 1670 (?), and Nathaniel, 1677, his sons, and Rhoda, wife of Nathaniel Snow, 1697, low table-tomb with defaced shield of arms; S. of chancel, (2) to Thomas Mosse, 1712, head-stone with skull. Panelling: In vestry—incorporated in modern chest and including four panels with elaborate strap-ornament and foliage, early 17th-century. Plate: includes cup of 1562 and cover-paten of 1567. Miscellanea: incorporated in modern credence table, four symetrically turned balusters c. 1600. In churchyard—stone from doorway dated 1509 and said to have come from Wishfield. (See Monument 4.)
Condition—Good, mostly re-built.
b(2). About 350 yards S.E. of the church.
b(3). On site of Doddinghurst Place, 700 yards W. of the church.
d(4). At Wishfield Farm, about 1 m. S. of the church.
b(5). Doddinghurst Hall, house and moat, about 150 yards E.N.E. of the church. The House is of two storeys; the walls are of brick and the roofs are tiled. It was built probably in the 17th century but has been entirely refaced with modern brick. Inside the building are some original chamfered ceiling-beams.
The Moat is incomplete.
Condition—Of house, good, much altered.
d(6). Park Farm, house and moat, about ½ m. S.S.E. of the church. The House is of two storeys, timber-framed and plastered; the roofs are tiled. It was built probably late in the 16th century and has a modern addition on the S. side. The original chimney-stack is cruciform on plan.
The Moat is incomplete.
Condition—Of house, fairly good.
b(7). Swallows Cross Farm, house and moat, nearly 1½ m. E.S.E. of the church. The House is of two storeys, timber-framed and plastered; the roofs are tiled. It was built probably in the 16th century on a rectangular plan. On the E. and W. sides the upper storey projects and is gabled at the N. end.
The Moat is fairly complete and lies E. of the house.
Condition—Of house, fairly good.
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of the 17th century, and of two storeys, timber-framed and plastered or weather-boarded; the roofs are tiled. Many of the buildings have original chimney-stacks, wide fireplaces and exposed ceiling-beams.
Condition—Good, or fairly good.
b(8). Priest's House, S.W. of the church, was built probably in the 16th century.
b(9). Barfields, cottage, ⅓ m. N. of the church.
a(10). The Elms, cottage, ½ m. W.N.W. of the church.
d(11). Cottage, now two tenements, at fork of road 2/3 m. S.W. of the church. The original chimney-stack has diagonal pilaster strips.
c(12). Cow Farm, house, at Doddinghurst Common, about 1 m. S.W. of the church. The upper storey projects, on curved brackets, and is gabled at the N.W. end of the S.W. front.
d(13). Day's Farm, house, about 1½ m. S. by W. of the church, is of two storeys with attics, and was built probably in the 16th century on an L-shaped plan with the wings extending towards the S. and W. Inside the building the timber framing is exposed and there is an original moulded ceiling-beam. The queen-post roof has tie-beams with curved braces. On the wall of a room on the first floor is a painted black-letter inscription above the fireplace and now protected by glass; the subject matter is a series of texts, now much defaced.
d(14). Shops Farm, house, nearly 1 m. E.S.E. of the church.
d(15). Petit's Farm, house, about 200 yards W.S.W. of (14), is of L-shaped plan with the wings extending towards the E. and S.
a(16). The Stocks (Plate p. 258), near Fox Hatch, ¾ m. W.S.W. of the church, are probably of early 18th-century date. They are of oak strengthened with iron, and have two pairs of leg-holes.