An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex, Volume 3, North East. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1922.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
29. FRINTON. (G.d.)
(O.S. 6 in. xlviii. N.W.)
Frinton is a small parish and town by the sea, 5 m. N.E. of Clacton.
Parish Church of St. Mary stands about 160 yards from the cliffs. The walls are of septaria and flint-rubble with dressings of limestone; the roofs are tiled. The Nave was built probably in tle 14th century. The South Porch was added in the 16th century. The church fell into ruin in the 17th or 18th century. The Chancel was added in 1879 and the church restored; there is a modern extension to the nave.
Architectural Description—The Nave (25 ft. by 18½ ft.) has been partly refaced. In the N. wall are two modern windows and between them is the 14th-century N. doorway with chamfered jambs and a modern head. In the S. wall are two modern windows and between them the 14th-century S. doorway with chamfered jambs and two-centred arch with a moulded label.
The South Porch is of c. 1600 and of brick. The outer archway has a four-centred head. The side walls have each a window of two restored four-centred lights in a four-centred head.
Fittings—Glass (Plate, p. 192): In chancel— in N. window, two 14th-century shields, partly restored—(a) checky or and azure for Warenne; (b) gules three cheverons ermine for Elderbeke. Stoup: In nave—in S. wall, with cinquefoiled head, 15th-century, no basin.
Condition—Good, much restored.