An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex, Volume 3, North East. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1922.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
49. LANGENHOE. (D.d.)
(O.S. 6 in. xxxvii. S.W.)
Langenhoe is a parish on the N. side of the Pyefleet Channel and 5 m. S.S.E. of Colchester.
(1). Parish Church of St. Andrew stands at the S.W. corner of the parish. The old church was destroyed by an earthquake in 1884. The modern church on the site was built largely of old material and incorporates the following old features: In the S. wall of the chancel is a 15th-century window of two cinquefoiled lights in a square head with a moulded label. In the N. wall of the nave are two 15th-century windows, one of three cinquefoiled lights with vertical tracery in a two-centred head; the other is similar to that in the chancel. In the S. wall of the nave is a 15th-century doorway with moulded jambs and two-centred arch. The W. tower incorporates a two-centred tower-arch of two chamfered orders and a doorway, with a two-centred head, to the turret staircase; these, with the W. doorway, which has moulded jambs, two-centred arch and label with one head-stop, are all of the 15th-century; the windows incorporate many old stones.
Fittings—Chair: with carved and inlaid back, curved arms and turned legs, early 17th-century. Chest: In vestry—hutch type with panelled lid and enriched panels in front with arabesque ornament, 17th-century. Doors: In S. doorway, of battens with moulded fillets and frame, 15th-century. In doorway of turret staircase, of battens with strap-hinges, drop handle and plate, 15th-century. Font: octagonal bowl, each side with a quatrefoiled panel, enclosing a flower, octagonal stem with sunk panels having cinquefoiled heads, moulded base, 15th-century.
(2). Mounds, two on S. side of Greton Creek and about 2 m. E. of the church.
(3). Red Hills, a number from Peet Tie Hall eastwards, along the old high-water mark.