An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex, Volume 3, North East. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1922.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
52. LAYER BRETON. (C.d.)
(O.S. 6 in. xxxvi. S.W.)
Layer Breton is a small parish 5½ m. S.W. of Colchester.
(1). Parish Church of St. Mary has recently been pulled down, but the traces of foundations indicate a building about 46 ft. by 25 ft. Lying on the site are various worked and moulded stones of the 15th century, including the greater part of one window of two cinquefoiled lights in a square head with a moulded label.
(2). At Stamp's Farm, 1 m. N.N.W. of the site of the church.
(3). At Whitehouse Grove, 100 yards E.N.E. of the site of the church.
(4). Cottage, 130 yards S.S.E. of (2), is of two storeys, timber-framed and weather-boarded; the roofs are tiled. It was built in the 16th century and the upper storey projects on the N.E. side. Inside the building are exposed ceiling-beams.
(5). St. Catherine's College Farm, house, about ½m. S. of (2), is of two storeys, timberframed, partly plastered and partly weather-boarded; the roofs are tiled. It was built late in the 16th or early in the 17th century. The upper storey projects at the E. and W. ends.