An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex, Volume 3, North East. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1922.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
37. GREAT HOLLAND (F.d.)
(O.S. 6 in. xxxix. S.W.)
Great Holland is a parish and small village 4 m. N.E. of Clacton. The church is the only monument.
Parish Church of All Saints stands towards the E. side of the parish. It was entirely rebuilt in 1866 except the early 16th-century West Tower which is of red brick with black brick diapering.
Architectural Description—The West Tower (13 ft. by 9 ft.), is of three stages with a moulded plinth, embattled parapet, S.E. stair-turret and semi-octagonal turrets or buttresses at the other angles. The tower-arch is two-centred and of four chamfered orders dying on to the side walls and entirely covered with cement. The W. window is of four pointed lights with vertical tracery in a two-centred head with a moulded label and probably all of brick, but mostly covered with cement; the brick W. doorway has jambs and two-centred head of three orders, moulded in the arch and chamfered in the jambs, with a moulded label. The second stage has in the N. and S. walls a small opening with a four-centred head. The bell-chamber has in each wall a modern window set in an old brick opening with a two-centred head and moulded label of brick.
Fittings—Bells: two; 1st c. 1400 and inscribed "Omnes sancti orate pro nobis" in Lombardic capitals; 2nd by John Danyell, mid 15th-century and inscribed "Vox Augustini Sonet In Aure Dei."
Condition—Good, mostly rebuilt.