An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex, Volume 3, North East. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1922.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
45. INWORTH. (B.d.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)xxxv. N.E. (b)xxxv. S.E. (c)xlv. N.E.)
Inworth is a parish 3½ m. S.S.E. of Great Coggeshall. The church is the principal monument.
b(1). Parish Church of All Saints (?) stands in the middle of the parish. The walls are of coursed flint-rubble mixed with pudding-stone, freestone and Roman brick; the dressings are of limestone and brick and the roofs are tiled. The Chancel and Nave were built about the middle of the 11th century. Probably in the 14th century the chancel was lengthened by a few feet. A south porch was built c. 1500. The church was restored in the 19th century when the West Tower and the South Porch were rebuilt.
The church is of great interest from its preConquest date, and among the fittings the carved bench and remains of paintings are noteworthy.
Architectural Description—The Chancel (19½ ft. by 15 ft.) has a modern E. window. The side walls have each a straight joint about 6 ft. from the E. end, with pudding-stone quoins, showing the original termination of the 11th-century chancel. In the N. wall (Plate, p. 140) is an 11th-century window of one round-headed light with double splays; the external head is of pudding-stone with a course of Roman bricks at the springing level on the W. side. In the S. wall are three windows, the easternmost and westernmost are probably of the 14th century, much restored, and are each of two cinquefoiled lights with tracery in a two-centred head; the middle window (Plate, p. 142) is a single 11th-century light uniform with that in the N. wall, but with bricks at the springing level on both sides; below it is a modern doorway. The chancel-arch is probably of the 11th century but is entirely covered with plaster; it is semi-circular and of two square orders on the W. side; flanking the chancel arch are two squints, that on the N. with a two-centred head, probably of the 13th century, and that on the S. modern.
The Nave (33 ft. by 19¾ ft.) has in the E. wall two recesses with pointed heads enclosing the squints; the S. recess is modern. At the E. end of each side wall is a similar recess with a two-centred head, probably of the 13th century. In the N. wall are two windows, the eastern of late 15th-century date and of two cinquefoiled lights in a square head with a moulded label; the western window is apparently entirely modern. In the S. wall are two windows, the eastern of c. 1500 is of brick and of three plain lights in a four-centred head with a moulded label; the western window is modern; between the windows is the S. doorway of c. 1500 with double chamfered jambs and segmental-pointed arch of brick; W. of the doorway are the splays and round head of a blocked window, possibly of the 11th or 12th century.
The Roof of the nave is of the 15th century and has moulded wall-plates, three cambered tie-beams and king-posts with moulded capitals and bases. The S. porch has moulded wall-plates of c. 1500.
Fittings—Door: In S. doorway—with hollowchamfered frame and fillets and trellis framing at the back, probably c. 1500. Glass: In chancel —in middle S. window, fragments of foliage, figures, etc., 14th and 15th-century. Niches: In chancel—in N. wall, double, with trefoiled heads of brick, c. 1500, use uncertain; in E. splay of S.E. window, with trefoiled head; W. of S. doorway, with trefoiled head of brick, both c. 1500. Paintings: In nave—on E. wall, N. of chancelarch, masoned diaper in red and traces of ornamental border to arch, probably 12th-century; S. of arch, two tiers of figure subjects, top tier with much defaced figures, lower tier with (a) bishop standing beside a tower and three other figures, and (b) a boat with striped sail and a man standing beside it, late 13th-century. Paving: In chancel—slip-tiles with foliated ornament, etc., 13th and 14th-century. Piscinae: In chancel— with two-centred head and round drain, probably 15th-century. In nave—in recess in N. wall, with round head, all plastered; in recess in S. wall, similar but with pointed head, both with round drains, dates uncertain. Plate: includes cup and cover-paten of 1571, with incised ornament on cup. Screen: Under chancel-arch—of three bays with wide doorway having cinquefoiled and sub-cusped head with traceried spandrels; side bays with trefoiled and traceried heads, modern beam with reset cresting; close lower panels, late 15th-century. Seating: In nave—bench (Plate, p. 181) with richly carved and traceried back with foliated spandrels, panels separated by foliated bands, c. 1500.
Condition—Good, much restored.
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys, timber-framed and plastered or weather-boarded; the roofs are tiled or thatched. Many of the buildings have original chimney-stacks and exposed ceiling-beams.
Condition—Good or fairly good, unless noted.
b(2). House, 130 yards N.N.E. of the church, was built c. 1600, with a cross-wing at the N. end. The upper storey projects at the E. end of the cross-wing.
b(3). Cottage, 140 yards N.N.E. of (2).
a(4). Bridge House, nearly 1¼ m. N.W. of the church, was built probably in the 16th century. Inside the building is an original moulded ceiling-beam. The late 17th-century staircase has twisted balusters and square newels with turned pendants. There are also some 17th-century panelled doors.
b(5). Theobald's Farm, house, about ½ m. S. of the church, was built c. 1600.
b(6). Cottage, two tenements, 1 m. S.S.W. of (5).
c(7). Cottage, on N. side of road, 270 yards S.S.E. of (6).
c(8). House, two tenements, 1,000 yards E. of (7), was built early in the 16th century, with crosswings at the E. and W. ends. Inside the building is an original window with bar mullions, now blocked. There is also part of the arched head of an original doorway.
c(9). Ship Inn, 120 yards E. of (8), has been fronted with modern brick.
b(10). House, two tenements, ¼ m. N.E. of (9), was built early in the 16th century. The 17th-century chimney-stack has three square shafts with a common capping. Inside the building is an original moulded ceiling-beam. The late 17th-century staircase has turned balusters and a close string. There is also a door of moulded battens, of the same date.
b(11). Cottage, ¼ m. E. of (10), was built early in the 18th century and has walls of red brick.