An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex, Volume 3, North East. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1922.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
12. BURES. (B.b.)
(O.S. 6 in. xvii. N.E.)
Bures is a parish on the Suffolk border and partly in that county, 8 m. N.W. of Colchester. The parish church is in the Suffolk portion of the parish.
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys, timber-framed and plastered or weather-boarded; the roofs are tiled or thatched. Several of the buildings have original chimney-stacks and exposed ceiling-beams.
Condition—Good or fairly good, unless noted.
(1). Old Toll House, house and shop, 100 yards W. of Bures Bridge, was built early in the 16th century. The cross-wing at the W. end has an upper storey, projecting at the N. end. Inside the building is a considerable quantity of 17th-century panelling. The roof has remains of the original construction.
(2). Eight Bells Inn, 60 yards S.W. of (1), has extensive modern additions.
(3). Cottage, 180 yards S. of (2).
(4). Cottage, W. of (3).
(5). Cottage, 300 yards W.N.W. of Bures Bridge.
(6). Cottage, W. of (5).
(7). Parsonage Farm, house, 700 yards W.S.W. of Bures Bridge, was built probably in the 16th century and has a projecting upper storey on the E. side.
(8). Cottage, N. of Valley Green Farm and nearly 1¼ m. S.S.W. of Bures Bridge.
(9). Upper Jennys, house, nearly 1½ m. S.W. of Bures Bridge, was built in the 16th century. The plaster of the front is dated 1769.
(10). Ravensfield Farm, house, nearly 1¾ m. W.S.W. of Bures Bridge.
(11). Hill Farm, house 1,200 yards N.W. of Bures Bridge, has an original chimney-stack with two grouped hexagonal shafts.