An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex, Volume 3, North East. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1922.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
92. WAKES COLNE. (B.c.)
(O.S. 6 in. xvii. S.E.)
Wakes Colne is a parish and small village 5 m. E. of Halstead. The church is the principal monument.
(1). Parish Church of All Saints stands at the S. end of the parish. The walls are of flint rubble coursed in the earlier work and with limestone dressings; the roofs are tiled. The Nave and a central tower were built about the middle of the 12th century. In the 14th century the Chancel was rebuilt probably of greater length than the existing building. Probably in the 14th century the central tower with its E. arch was removed. Early in the 15th century the W. bellturret was erected and the North Porch added. The church was restored in the 19th century when the E. wall was rebuilt and the South Vestry and organ-chamber added.
Architectural Description—The Chancel (34½ ft. by 17½ ft.) has a modern E. wall and window. The side walls have each a set-back showing the eastern extent of the former central tower. In the N. wall is a 14th-century window, very much restored and of two cinquefoiled lights with a quatrefoil in a two-centred head with a moulded label; further W. is an early 16th-century doorway with a three-centred head, opening into a staircase in the thickness of the wall; the top of the staircase is at a suitable level for a rood-loft but its easterly position is more appropriate to a lenten-veil screen. In the S. wall is a window uniform with N. window and further W. is a modern arch and doorway to the organ-chamber and vestry. The two-centred chancel-arch, formerly the W. arch of the tower, is of 14th-century date and of three chamfered orders; the plain responds are thicker at the base and have on the W. face the angle roll of the outer order of the 12th-century responds.
The Nave (49¼ ft. by 22 ft.) has in the N. wall four windows; the easternmost is of early 14th-century date and of two trefoiled ogee lights with a quatrefoil in a two-centred head with a moulded label; the other three windows are of the 12th century and each of a single round-headed light set high in the wall; the 12th-century N. doorway is round-headed and of two orders, one plain and continuous the other moulded and springing from a shaft with cushion capital and defaced moulded base. In the S. wall are four windows; the easternmost is similar to the easternmost in the N. wall; further W. were three 12th-century windows similar to those in the N. wall, but of these the middle one is now blocked and the western has been widened and a modern two-light window inserted in the opening; below the blocked window is a late 16th-century window of brick, of three transomed lights in a square head; the 12th-century S. doorway has plain jambs and round arch. In the W. wall is a modern window. The bell-turret at the W. end of the nave stands on tie-beams, the eastern resting on wall-posts with curved braces and moulded corbels and the western with four posts carried down to the floor and all of early 15th-century date; the two middle posts are octagonal with moulded stops.
The North Porch is of timber standing on modern brick walls. The framework is partly of the 15th century together with the cusped and sub-cusped barge-boards.
Fittings—Bells: three; said to be, 1st by Henry Pleasant, 1707; 2nd by Henry Jordan, inscribed "Wox Augustine Sonet in Aure Dei," late 15th-century; 3rd by Miles Graye, 1662. Brasses: In chancel—on S. wall, (1) to William Tyffin, 1617, and Mary (Jenour), his wife, 1616, also John Tyffin, 1616, and Mary, his wife, 1620, inscription only. In nave—(2) to Edmund Sandford, 1611, with three shields of arms. Coffin-lid: In nave—on sill of W. window, tapering slab with double hollow-chamfered edge and remains of cross, 13th-century. Door: In N. doorway—of oak battens, with strap-hinges and domed handle-plate, 16th-century. Font: hexagonal bowl, each face with three round-headed panels, late 12th-century, base modern. Glass: In nave—in tracery of N.E. window, white and yellow foliage, 15th-century. Monument: In chancel—on S. wall, to William Tyffin, 1617, and Mary (Jenour), his wife, 1616, alabaster tablet with Jacobean frame, cresting and shield of arms. Painting: In nave—on E. wall, diaper of black roses on white ground, 16th-century. Plate: includes a cup of 1702. Stoup: In N. porch —with moulded jambs and cinquefoiled head, 15th-century, basin removed.
(2). Homestead Moat, at Alcock's Green, about 1 m. N.N.E. of the church.
(3). Fisher's Farm, house and moat, 300 yards S.W. of (2). The House is of two storeys, timberframed and plastered; the roofs are tiled. It was built probably late in the 16th century and has a later E. wing. The original chimney-stack has six octagonal shafts.
The Moat, W. of the house, is fragmentary.
Condition—Of house, good, much altered.
(4). Little Loveney Hall, house and moat, 1¾ m. N. of the church. The House is of two storeys, timber-framed and plastered; the roofs are tiled. It was built probably late in the 16th century. The central chimney-stack has three diagonal shafts. Inside the building are exposed ceiling and tie-beams.
The Moat surrounds the house.
Condition—Of house, good.
(5). Crepping Hall, house and moat, 1¼ m. E. of the church. The House is of two storeys, timber-framed and plastered; the roofs are tiled. It was built probably in the 15th century but has been almost entirely altered. Inside the building is an original doorway with chamfered jambs and two-centred head and remains of an original king-post roof with smoke-blackened timbers.
The Moat is fragmentary.
Condition—Of house, good, much altered.
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys, timber-framed and plastered or weather-boarded; the roofs are tiled or thatched. Many of the buildings have original chimney-stacks and exposed ceiling-beams.
Condition—Good or fairly good, unless noted.
(6). Oldhouse Farm, house, ½ m. N.E. of the church, was built in the 16th century, with crosswings at the N. and S. ends.
(7). The Watch House, 750 yards E. of the church, was built in the 16th century, with a cross-wing at the E. and W. ends. Inside the building the main block has original moulded ceiling-beams and joists.
(8). House, now three tenements, 80 yards E. of the church, was built in the 16th century and has inside the building an original doorway with a four-centred head.
(9). House and Post Office, S.E. of the church, has an original chimney-stack with four octagonal shafts.
Wakes Colne Green
(10). Cottage, two tenements, 350 yards W.N.W. of (3).
(11). Jordan's Farm, house, 170 yards S.W. of (10), has an original chimney-stack with one hexagonal shaft.
(12). Cottage, 200 yards W. of (11).
(13). Sturgeon's Farm, house, 130 yards N.W. of (12), has in front the date 1715, probably that of the plastering only.
(14). Cottage, 170 yards N. of (13).
(15). Norman's Farm, house, ¼ m. W. of (14), was built in the 16th century with a cross-wing at the E. end. The upper storey projects at the N. end of the cross-wing.
(16). Cottage, ½ m. S.E. of (4).