An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex, Volume 3, North East. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1922.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
6. BEAUMONT CUM MOZE. (F.c.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)xxix. S.E. (b)xxx. S.W.)
Beaumont cum Moze is a parish (formerly two parishes) 7 m. S.W. of Harwich.
a(1). Parish Church of St. Leonard stands in the S.W. part of the parish. With the exception of the 14th or 15th-century E. buttresses and probably the chancel walls, the church was rebuilt in the 19th century. In the S. wall of the chancel is a doorway, probably of the 14th century, with chamfered jambs and two-centred arch.
Fittings—Bells: two; said to be, 1st uninscribed; 2nd by John Darbie, 16—. Communion Table and Rails: Table with turned and twisted legs and rails, early 18th-century. The Rails are of the same date and have twisted balusters. Floor-slabs: In chancel—(1) to Mrs. R. E. Rathborne, 1689; (2) to Rev. James Rathborne, early 18th-century. Indent: In S. porch—of figure and inscription, 15th-century. Piscina: In chancel—with moulded jambs, cinquefoiled head and sexfoiled drain, 15th-century. Plate: includes Elizabethan cup and cover-paten and a paten of 1683. Miscellanea: In nave—over chancel-arch, stone carved with I H S. The S. porch has some reused timbers including a 15th-century moulded wall-plate
a(2). Foundation Mounds on site of Moze church, about 1½ m. N.E. of (1).
a(3). Beaumont Hall (Plate, p. 234), S.W. of the church, is of two storeys with attics. The walls are of brick and plastered timber-framing, and the roofs are tiled. It was built probably late in the 17th century with a semi-detached wing in the N.E. The main block has on each side two curvilinear Dutch gables of brick with oversailing copings. The wing has similar but smaller gables. Inside the building, the early 18th-century staircase has moulded rails and twisted balusters.
a(4). Cottage, at Moze Cross, 550 yards N.W. of (2), is of two storeys, timber-framed and weather-boarded; the roofs are tiled. It was built late in the 17th century, and has exposed framing and ceiling-beams.
b(5). Red Hills, several, within the sea-wall, about 1½ m. E. of the church.