An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex, Volume 3, North East. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1922.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
21. EAST DONYLAND. (D.d.)
(O.S. 6 in. xxxvii. N.W.)
East Donyland is a parish with a village at Rowhedge on the right bank of the Colne, 3 m. S.E. of Colchester.
(1). Parish Church of St. Laurence stood 700 yards S.W. of the modern church. It was entirely destroyed about 1837. The modern church contains from the old building the following:—
Fittings—Brasses: On wall—(1) of Nicholas Marshall, 1621, figure of man in ruff, puffed breeches and cloak, erected by Alice (Brooke), his second wife; (2) of Mary, wife of Nicholas Marshall, and after of William Graye, 1627, figure of woman in ruff, full gown, etc. Monuments: On W. wall— (1) of Elizabeth Marshall, 1613, marble monument with seated figure of woman in niche flanked by obelisks, entablature, figures of three children, two dead, two shields and achievement of arms In churchyard of old church—(2) to Susanna, wife of Ralph Turpin, 1706, headstone.
(2). East Donyland Hall, house and moat, 750 yards S.S.W. of the modern church. The House is of two storeys, with attics; the walls are of brick and plastered timber-framing; the roofs are tiled. It was built early in the 17th century, but reconstructed c. 1700 and refronted c. 1800. Inside the building the main staircase has turned and twisted balusters and moulded rails of c. 1700.
The Moat surrounds the house.
Condition—Of house, good, much altered.
(3). Mound, 270 yards N.N.W. of (2), is about 65 ft. in diameter and 8 ft. high.