Ramsden Crays

Page 120

An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex, Volume 4, South east. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1923.

This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.


In this section


(O.S. 6 in. (a)lx. S.E. (b)lxviii. N.E.)

Ramsden Crays is a parish 2 m. E. of Billericay.


b(l). Parish Church of St. Mary stands near the middle of the parish. The church has been entirely re-built in modern times, but incorporates some old work. In the S. wall of the chancel is a window with two 15th-century cinque-foiled heads to the lights and part of the moulded label of the same date. The N. wall of the nave has two windows, both with old splays and rear-arches; the eastern window has also jambs and head of two trefoiled lights with a moulded label, all of c. 1400. In the S. wall are two old windows, the eastern of the 15th century and of two cinque-foiled lights in a square head with a moulded label and modern jambs, mullion and sill; the second window is similar but smaller and the label is partly modern; between them is the early 15th-century S. doorway, with moulded jambs and two-centred arch. In the W. wall is a modern window with old head-stops. The nave has a 15th-century roof with moulded plates and three tie-beams with king-posts having four-way struts. The bell-turret at the W. end stands on four 15th-century posts, with heavy braces forming two-centred arches and square framing above to support the turret.

Fittings—Bells: two, inaccessible, but said to be 2nd by Thomas Bartlet, 1617. Font: octagonal bowl and stem, entirely retooled and of doubtful date.



b(2). Homestead Moat, at Parsonage Farm, immediately S. of the church.

a(3). Hunt's Farm, about 1½ m. N. of the church, is of two storeys, timber-framed and plastered; the roofs are tiled. It was built probably in the 17th century on an L-shaped plan with the wings extending towards the S. and W. The main chimney-stack is original. Inside the building some of the rooms have exposed ceiling-beams.

Condition—Good, considerably altered.