An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex, Volume 4, South east. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1923.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
99. WEST HORNDON. (B.c.)
(O.S. 6 in. lxvii. S.E.)
West Horndon is a parish 3 m. S.E. of Brentwood. It was united to Ingrave, ecclesiastically, in 1712, and the site of the former church is S. of that of the Old Hall.
(1). Foundations of brick on the site of the Old Hall about the middle of the parish.
(2). Mound, called "Pigeon Mount," 200 yards W. of (1), is about 100 ft. in diameter and 12 ft. high.
(3). Mounds, two, 100 yards E. and W. of Thorndon Hall respectively, are probably pieces of landscape-gardening.