An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex, Volume 4, South east. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1923.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
15. CHILDERDITCH. (B.d.)
Fittings—Font: octagonal bowl with quatre-foiled panels enclosing carved rose, leopards' heads, pomegranate, rose and pomegranate dimidiated, fleur-de-lis and foliage; round upper edge blackletter inscription, "This is the cost of Jhon Throsscher and Ceceli his wiffe," moulded base, early 16th-century.
(3). Cottage, on E. wide of road, nearly 800 yards N.N.E. of the church, is of two storeys, timber-framed and plastered; the roofs are tiled. It was built in the 17th century and has an original chimney-stack of cruciform plan.
(4). House, on W. side of road, 250 yards N.N.W. of (3), is of two storeys and of timber-framing, partly plastered and partly weather-boarded; the roofs are tiled. It was built probably in the 16th century and is of L-shaped plan with the wings extending towards the S. and W. The upper storey projects at the N. end of the E. front.