An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex, Volume 4, South east. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1923.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
78. SANDON. (D.b.)
(O.S. 6 in. liii. S.W.)
Sandon is a parish 3 m. S.E. of Chelmsford. The church is the principal monument.
(1). Parish Church of St. Andrew (Plate, p. 133) stands at the N. end of the parish. The walls are of pudding-stone and flint-rubble with some Roman bricks; the tower and S. porch are of brick; the dressings are of limestone and brick; the roofs are tiled. The Chancel and Nave were built in the 12th century. The chancel-arch was re-built probably late in the 13th century. The N. arcade was built and the North Aisle added about the middle of the 14th century. Probably in the 15th century the chancel was extended about 5 ft. to the E. Early in the 16th century the West Tower and the South Porch were added. The church has been restored in modern times, when the walls of the N. aisle were heightened
The brick tower and S. porch are interesting, and among the fittings the pillar-piscina, communion table and pulpit are noteworthy.
Architectural Description—The Chancel (22 ft. by 13¾ ft.) retains in the N. and S. walls the Roman brick quoins of the 12th-century chancel. The early 15th-century E. window is much restored, and of three cinque-foiled lights with modern tracery in a two-centred head. In the N. wall is a late 13th or early 14th-century window of two pointed lights in a two-centred head with a moulded label. In the S. wall are two windows, the eastern uniform with that in the N. wall and the western a 'low-side,' but modern except for the moulded splays and rear-arch; this window has a casement with a 17th-century iron catch; between the windows is a partly restored 14th-century doorway with double chamfered jambs, two-centred arch and moulded label. The late 13th-century chancel-arch is two-centred and of one plain order with moulded imposts, partly destroyed; above the arch is a round-headed opening, now blocked.
The Nave (38¾ ft. by 19¼ ft.) has original 12th-century quoins at the E. angles. The mid 14th-century N. arcade is of three bays with two-centred arches of two moulded orders; the columns are of quatrefoil plan, the N. and S. shafts being of semi-octagonal form, all have moulded capitals and bases; the responds have attached half-columns, and the base of the W. respond is square. In the S. wall are three windows; the easternmost is of early 16th-century date and of two rounded lights in a square head; above it are two modern lights of similar form; the second window is modern, and the westernmost has a modern frame set in place of a partly destroyed 13th-century window; E. of it is the 14th-century S. doorway, with chamfered jambs, two-centred arch and a moulded label with head-stops.
The North Aisle (10½ ft. wide) has in the E. wall a window all modern except the splays and rear-arch. In the N. wall are two windows, both modern except for the splays and rear-arch of the eastern, which incorporates a 12th-century voussoir; further W. is the 14th-century N. doorway, now blocked, and with double chamfered jambs, moulded two-centred arch and modern label. In the W. wall is an 18th-century window set in an old opening with a 14th-century moulded label.
The West Tower (12 ft. square) is entirely of early 16th-century date and of red brick; it is of three stages, the two lower undivided externally, and has an extensive diapered decoration in black brick, including two large crosses on the W. face of the top stage, numerous crosses of St. Andrew and various ornamental lozenges; the embattled parapet rests on a corbel-table of small arches. The four-centred tower-arch is of three plain orders; the responds are splayed. The W. window is of three pointed lights with uncusped tracery in a two-centred head; the W. doorway has a four-centred head, and has been converted into a window. The N. and S. walls of the second stage have each a window of one pointed light. The bell-chamber has in each wall a window of two pointed lights set in an elliptical outer arch.
The South Porch (Plate, p. xxxviii) is of early 16th-century date and of red brick with a crow-stepped parapet resting on a corbel-table of trefoiled arches. The outer archway has chamfered jambs and moulded two-centred arch and label; above it is a wide niche or panel with an ogee head; flanking the niche are two large crosses of St. Andrew in black headers. The side walls have each a window of two pointed lights with a spandrel in a round head. The porch has a brick vault with diagonal chamfered ribs springing from angle-shafts with moulded bases. On each side is a scat resting on two segmental arches of brick.
The Roof of the chancel is boarded, and is divided into panels by 15th-century moulded ribs; the wall-plates are also moulded. The roof of the nave is modern except the 15th-century eastern truss, which has moulded hammer-beams and curved braces enclosing traceried spandrels, under a modern collar-beam.
Fittings—Bells: five; 1st and 2nd by John Hodson, 1653. Brasses: In chancel—(1) part of slab with two scrolls and two shields-of-arms (a) on a chief indented three roundels, a border, for Latham, (b) Goldsmiths' company, indents of heads of two figures and marginal inscription, c. 1510; on N. wall, (2) of Patrick Fearne , parson of the parish, kneeling figures of man in fur-lined gown and wife in wide-brimmed hat, scrolls and inscription-plate, all set in panel. Communion Table: with four legs at angles and three along the middle, all turned as columns and supporting arches, side rails each with three turned acornpendants, one turned pendant in middle of front and back rails, late 17th-century. Doors: In doorway of chancel—with moulded panels and pedimental head, possibly late 17th-century. In S. doorway—modern, but with three strap-hinges, 15th-century. In N. doorway—of feathered battens with one strap-hinge, probably 15th-century. In tower—in doorway to turret staircase, of feathered battens with strap-hinges, probably early 16th-century. Font: octagonal with moulded lower-edge to bowl, probably early 16th-century. Glass: In chancel—in S.E. window, various detached pieces, including four shields-of-arms— (a) argent three bends azure, on a chief sable two lions or face to face (Plate, pp. xliv-v), for St. Gregory; (b) ermine a cheveron sable with three crescents or thereon for Doreward (Plate, pp. xliv-v); (c) gules a cheveron ermine between three fleurs-de-lis or (Plate, pp. xliv-v) and (d) Darcy, 15th and 16th-century, but (d) restored and (b) of doubtful antiquity. In W. window of porch—fragmentary shield of the arms (a). Monuments: In chancel—on N. wall, (1) to Anne, wife of Brian Walton, D.D., rector, 1640, alabaster and black marble tablet; on S. wall, (2) to Deborah, wife of Samuel Smith, "pastor of this congregation," 1647, tablet. Panelling: In chancel—incorporated in quire stalls, seven panels with incised scroll-work, also one fluted panel in prayer-desk, early 17th-century. Re-set under stairs to pulpit, two arcaded panels with foliage, early 17th-century. Piscinae: In chancel—with chamfered jambs and two-centred head, round drain, 13th-century; pillar-piscina (Plate, p. xlv) with shaft ornamented with spiral fluting and beading, base with cheveron ornament and capital carved with interlacing design, 12th-century, found in N.W. buttress in 1904. Plate: includes flagon of 1624, given in 1688, and cup and cover-paten of 1628. Pulpit: octagonal with buttresses and pinnacled angles, moulded and crested top-rail, pierced and traceried lower rail, each face with cusped and traceried heads and linen-fold panel, trumpet-stem with moulded ribs and octagonal post with moulded and crested capital and moulded base, late 15th-century (Plate, p. 79).
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of the 16th-century, and of two storeys, timber-framed and plastered; the roofs are tiled. Some of the buildings have original chimney-stacks and exposed ceiling-beams.
Condition—Good or fairly good.
(2). Sandon Place, house and outbuildings, on opposite side of the road, N.E. of the church. The House has a slated roof and was built probably in the 16th century, but conclusive evidence has been entirely lost in modern alterations. The plan appears to have originally been half H-shaped, with cross-wings extending towards the N., but the space between them has been filled in by a modern addition and the roof over the central block has probably been raised. The upper storey of the cross-wings projects on the S. front. The chimney-stack to the central block is of late 16th or early 17th-century date. Inside the building some of the timber-framing shows in the walls; at the back of the house and in the wall on the W. side of the central chimney is a doorway with a three-centred head; in the staircase is a blocked window.
The Outbuilding W. of the house is of brick with diaper-work in black headers. Inside the building, in the walls, are some small recesses with four-centred heads.
(3). Cottage, 100 yards E. of (2), is a small rectangular building, partly refaced with brick. On the E. side is an original chimney-stack (Plate, p. 57) with an embattled base and moulded capping surmounted by grouped diagonal shafts.
(4). Mayes Farm, house, 1,150 yards E.S.E. of the church, is built on an L-shaped plan, with the wings extending towards the N. and W. The upper storey projects on the S. of the E. front. The main doorway is original, and has moulded jambs and four-centred head with sunk spandrels and retains an original door with moulded fillets and drop-handle. The chimney-stack at the junction of the wings has grouped diagonal shafts.
(5). House, on N. side of road at Woodhill, about 1¼ m. E. of the church, is probably of 15th or early 16th-century date, and has a cross-wing at the E. end. The main block is of one storey with attics and has the middle part of the S. wall carried up in a gable. The chimney-stack has a rectangular base with a moulded capping surmounted by grouped diagonal shafts.
Shoebury, see North Shoebury and South Shoebury.