An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex, Volume 4, South east. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1923.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
27. EASTWOOD. (E.d.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)lxx. S.W. (b)lxxviii. N.W.)
Eastwood is a small parish 2 m. N.W. of Southend-on-Sea. The church is interesting.
b(1). Parish Church of St. Laurence and All Saints (Plate, pp. xxxviii-ix) stands towards the S.E. corner of the parish. The walls are of ragstone-rubble with some pudding-stone, flint and Roman brick, they are now covered with cement. The dressings are of Reigate and other limestone and the roofs are tiled. The Nave was built early in the 12th century. Early in the 13th century the S. arcade was built and the South Aisle and West Tower added; the Chancel was re-built probably about the same time. In the 14th century the N. wall was pierced by an arcade and the North Aisle added. Early in the 16th century the South Porch was added. The upper part of the tower fell or was destroyed at some uncertain date. The church was restored in the 19th century and the timber bell-turret of the tower is modern.
The church is of considerable architectural interest; the priest's room is an unusual feature and amongst the fittings the font and N. and S. doors are noteworthy.
Architectural Description—The Chancel (29 ft. by 16 ft.) has an E. window all modern except the 14th-century splays and rear-arch. In the N. wall are two windows, the eastern of mid 14th-century date and of two cinque-foiled ogee lights with tracery in a two-centred head with a moulded label; the western window is of the 13th century, possibly widened, and of a single lancet-light. In the S. wall are two windows, the eastern uniform with the corresponding window in the N. wall and the western a 'low-side' of 13th or 14th-century date and of one pointed light; it is set in a wide 14th-century recess with a two-centred arch of one chamfered order; at the W. end of the recess is an early 16th-century squint with a rough rounded head; E. of the recess is a doorway probably of the 14th century and with chamfered jambs and segmental-pointed arch. The late 14th-century chancel-arch (Plate, p. 44) is two-centred and of two chamfered orders dying on to the side walls; below it are the two ends of the rood-beam cut off flush with the walls; above the arch on the E. are the marks of an earlier gable roof.
The Nave (44 ft. by 20 ft.) (Plate, p. 44) has in the N. wall two wide 14th-century arches, two-centred and of one chamfered order; higher up are remains of three 12th-century windows, the middle one almost complete and the other two with parts of the rear-arches, etc.; they were round-headed and each of a single light; the easternmost has an ashlar rear-arch. On the S. side of the E. respond of the arcade is part of a moulded 13th-century capping probably of a former recess now cut away. The early 13th-century S. arcade is of three bays with two-centred arches of two chamfered orders with a moulded label on the N. side; the octagonal columns have moulded capitals and bases and added plinths of brick; the angles of the piers have been partly cut away; the responds have each a round attached shaft with moulded capital and base; above the W. haunch of the third arch is part of the rear-arch of a 12th-century window; E. of the arcade and in the adjoining E. wall are remains of two 13th-century recesses, the arches springing from a common moulded impost in the angle; the E. recess has been mostly cut away and blocked and the S. recess has a two-centred arch and has been pierced through at the back to communicate with the S. aisle. In the W. wall is a 15th-century window of three cinque-foiled and sub-cusped lights with vertical tracery in a segmental-pointed head with a moulded label.
The North Aisle (6½ ft. wide) has in the E. wall a partly restored 14th-century window of two cinque-foiled ogee lights with tracery in a segmental head. In the N. wall is a 14th-century doorway, now blocked and with plain jambs and a later oak lintel. In the W. wall is a 15th-century square-headed loop divided into two stages and lighting the two apartments partitioned off at the end of the aisle; the 15th-century partition is of oak with a moulded and embattled head and rail, chamfered posts and ridged muntins; the doorway has a four-centred head; the floor of the upper chamber has chamfered joists and rests on braced corner-posts; the trap-door is of feathered battens with strap-hinges.
The South Aisle (9½ ft. wide) has in the E. wall a window of two lights and of doubtful date with a modern head. In the S. wall are two windows, the eastern is of the 14th century and of two trefoiled ogee lights with tracery in a square head; the western window is of the 13th century and of one wide pointed light; further W. is the 13th-century S. doorway with hollow-chamfered jambs and modern head. The walls of the S. aisle were heightened or the upper part re-built probably in the 17th century.
The West Tower (6½ ft. square) is of two stages, the lower of early 13th-century date and the upper modern. The tower-arch is two-centred and of two chamfered orders; the responds are similar to the responds of the S. arcade. In the W. wall is a small lancet-window.
The South Porch is of brick and of the 16th century and has an outer archway with chamfered jambs and four-centred arch; the gable has foiled barge-boards. The side walls have each a window of one light with a segmental head.
The Roof of the chancel is probably of the 14th century and is of braced collar-beam type with two moulded tie-beams and moulded wall-plates; the eastern bay may be of later date. The 15th-century roof of the nave has four trusses with octagonal king-posts having moulded capitals and bases, and one truss with a plain king-post. The roofs of the aisles are ceiled. The porch has re-used timbers.
Fittings—Bells: three; said to be, 1st by Charles Newman, 1693; 2nd by William Burford, 14th-century, and inscribed "Sancta Katerina Ora Pro Nobis"; 3rd by the same founder and inscribed "Sancte Gregori Ora Pro Nobis." Bier: of oak with turned legs and shaped brackets and the initials and date C.F. 1706. Brackets: In chancel —flanking E. window, two, moulded and cut back to wall-face, late 14th-century. Brass and Indent. Brass: In chancel—of Thomas Burrough, 1600, figure of man in civil dress. Indent: In N. aisle— of civilian, two wives and inscription-plate, c. 1480. Chest: At vicarage—of hutch - type with plain styles, two lock-plates, 13th or early 14th-century, lid later. Doors: In N. aisle—now unhung, of three battens, with elaborate ironwork (Plate, pp. 4–5) including two hinges with crescent-shaped enrichments and scrolled ends, also separate straps and crescent-shaped pieces similarly ornamented, late 12th or early 13th-century; in doorway of partition, of overlapping battens with chamfered frame and strap-hinges, 15th-century. In S. aisle—in S. doorway, of three battens covered with extensive remains of scrolled and foliated ironwork (Plate, p. 45), nail-studded, on this has been applied two hinges and a strap similar to those on the door in the N. aisle, one of these is defective and the strap has remains of an inscription in Lombardic letters probably reading "Pax regat intrantes eadem regat egredientes," cross-shaped scutcheon with foliated ends and a straight border with enrichment of cheverons or crossed lines, late 13th-century with late 12th or early 13th-century hinges, etc., applied. Font (Plate, pp. xlii–iii): round tapering bowl with round interlacing arcade with simply foliated spandrels and resting on tall pilasters with crudely moulded capitals and bases, plain stem and moulded base, late 12th-century. Monuments and Floor-slab. Monuments: In churchyard—on S.E., (1) to Elizabeth, wife of Thomas Dighton, 1708, Thomas her son and Mary her granddaughter, head-stone; E. of chancel, (2) to Thomas Purchas, 1657 (?), table-tomb. Floor-slab: In N. aisle— to Elizabeth Hooker, 1666. Niches: In S. aisle —in E. wall, with moulded jambs and modern head, probably 14th-century. On S. porch—above outer archway, of brick with trefoiled head and square label, early 16th-century. Paintings: Traces of paintings on piers of S. arcade, date uncertain. Panelling: Incorporated in modern framing in porch, 17th-century. Piscinae: In S. aisle—in S. wall, with square head and quatre-foiled drain, 14th-century. Loose in N. aisle—square bowl and drain, said to have come from chancel. Plate: includes cup and cover-paten of 1562, the former with band of engraved ornament. Stoup: In S. porch—rough recess partly broken away and covered with plaster. Miscellanea: In S. aisle— forming sill of S.E. window, stone slab with moulded edge from tomb or altar, possibly 14th-century.
Condition—Fairly good, but roofs defective.
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of the 17th century, and of two storeys, timber-framed and plastered or weather-boarded; the roofs are tiled. Some of the buildings have exposed ceiling-beams and original chimneystacks.
b(2). House, now two tenements, 300 yards W.S.W. of the church, was built in the 16th century and has a later addition at the S. end. Inside the building some of the timber-framing is exposed.
b(3). Old Workhouse, 550 yards W.S.W. of the church.
b(4). Bellhouse Farm, house, about 1½ m. W. of the church, is of two storeys with attics. It was built in the 16th century on an L-shaped plan with the wings extending towards the S. and W. and a staircase in the angle. Modern additions have been built on the W. side of both wings. The upper storey projects on the N. front and has an original moulded fascia and curved brackets. In the roof are two gabled dormers. The S. front of the E. wing of the original house is gabled and has a projecting upper storey with curved brackets. The chimney-stack at the W. end of the original house has stepped offsets. Inside the building a ceiling-beam in the N. wing is supported on moulded brackets.
b(5). Dandies Farm, house, at Noblesgreen, about 1 m. W.N.W. of the church.
b(6). Blatches, house (Plate, pp. xxxiv-v), about 1m. N.W. of the church, is of two storeys with attics. It was built in the 16th century on an L-shaped plan with the wings extending towards the E. and N. There is a modern addition on the W. At the end of the S. front the upper storey projects and has an original moulded bressummer with curved brackets. In the E. end of the S. wall is an original window, now blocked, of three lights with moulded frame and mullions. On the N. front the W. wing has two similar blocked windows; E. of the staircase is an original chimney-stack with stepped offsets. Inside the building is an original staircase with a central newel. The roof is of collar-beam type and has curved wind-braces.
a(7). Eastwood Lodge, house, nearly 2¼ m. W.N.W. of the church, is of two storeys with cellars. It was built early in the 16th century on a modified half H-shaped plan with the cross-wings extending westwards. In the 17th century a staircase was added in the angle formed by the N. and central blocks. There are modern additions on the N. side and the house has been much altered. On the S. side of the N. wing the upper storey projects but has been partly cut into by the staircase. Inside the building, in the walls of the N.E. cellar are four brick niches, three with shaped heads and one with a two-centred head.
b(8). Westbarrow Hall, house, now two tenements, ½ m. N.N.E. of the church, was built in the 15th century with a central hall and cross-wings at the E. and W. ends. The W. wing was re-built in the 17th century and has since been largely refaced with brick. The roofs to the hall and W. wing have been partly re-built, and smoke-blackened timbers in the former suggest that the first floor of the central block is an insertion. There is a modern addition on the N. On both the N. and S. fronts the upper storey of the W. wing projects. In the W. wall of the E. wing is a partly blocked window with diamond-shaped mullions. Inside the building, in the E. wing, is a 17th-century staircase with flat-shaped moulded rail and square newel posts with shaped tops. The roof of the E. wing is original and of three bays with cambered tie-beams, and octagonal king-posts with moulded capitals and bases. The roof over the W. wing retains one old tie-beam with queen-posts; the side purlins have curved wind-braces.
b(9). Old Workhouse, on E. side of the main road to Rochford, 1m. E.N.E. of the church. The N. end of the building is of 15th-century date and is probably all that remains of a fairly large house, the existing building on the S. being of 18th-century date. On the E. the upper storey projects and has one curved bracket. On the N. is an original chimney-stack with crow-stepped offsets. Inside the building on the ground-floor the timber-framing is exposed.
b(10). Three Ashes Inn, now a shop and two tenements, 300 yards N.N.E. of (9), was built late in the 16th century. Late 17th-century and modern additions on the E. make the existing building L-shaped on plan with wings projecting to the S. and W.
a(11). Cottage, on E. side of the main road to Rochford, about 1¼ m. N.E. of the church, was built probably in the 16th century as the W. wing of a larger house; it has been very much altered. On the S. front the upper storey projects and has a moulded barge-board to the gable. Inside the building the timber-framing is exposed.
Fambridge, see North Fambridge and South Fambridge.