An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Herefordshire, Volume 1, South west. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1931.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
6 BIRCH, LITTLE (D.c.)
Fittings—Font: round bowl with cable-ornament round base, 12th-century, repaired, stem and base modern. Plate: includes an Elizabethan cup with band of engraved ornament round bowl; cover-paten of pre-reformation origin with traces of engraved vernicle or a heart on a cross; on the handle is inscribed "Letul Burche, 1576," the date when it was re-made.
(2). New Mills Farm, house 1 m. S.E. of the church, is partly of two storeys with attics and partly of one storey with attics; the walls are timber-framed and the roofs are covered with slates. It was built in the 17th century on an L-shaped plan with the wings extended towards the E. and S. The S. and W. walls of the S. wing have been re-built in stone. Inside the building, the chamfered ceiling-beams are exposed.
(3). Upper House, 200 yards S.S.E. of the church, is of two storeys with attics; the walls are timber-framed and plastered. It was built probably late in the 15th century, but is now roofless and ruinous. Inside the building are some chamfered ceiling-beams.