An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Herefordshire, Volume 1, South west. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1931.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
7 BIRCH, MUCH (D.c.)
(O.S. 6 in. XLV, N.E.)
Much Birch is a parish 5½ m. S. of Hereford.
(1). Parish Church of St. Mary and St. Thomas of Canterbury, stands near the middle of the parish. It was entirely re-built in 1837, but retains, from the old church, the following:—
Fittings—Chest: In vestry—front and one end with conventional enrichment, plain top with two strap-hinges, mid 17th-century. Churchyard Cross: S. of nave—octagonal to square base with small pointed niche in W. face, three steps and lower part only of octagonal shaft, probably 14th-century. Monuments: In churchyard—S. of nave, (1) to . . ., 1713 (?), headstone with carved ornament; (2) to Elizabeth (Rogers) widow of Thomas Toy, 1696, headstone. Table: In nave—with turned legs and fluted rails, mid 17th century.
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of the 17th century, and of two storeys or one storey with attics; the walls are timber-framed, and the roofs are covered with stone slates or modern slates. Some of the buildings have original chimneystacks and exposed ceiling-beams.
Condition—Good, or fairly good, unless noted.
(2). The Cedars, house 100 yards N.W. of the church, was built probably in the 16th century, but has modern additions on all four sides.
(3). Cider House, at Ash Farm, nearly ¼ m. N.W. of the church, is of late 16th or early 17th-century date, but has been encased in stone late in the 18th or early in the 19th century. Parts of the original timber-framed walls are visible internally.
(4). Axe and Cleaver Inn, on the S.W. side of the road, ¾ m. S.E. of the church, has some exposed timber-framing.
(5) Cottage, N. of Bigglestone Farm and nearly 1 m. E.S.E. of the church, has been partly re-built in stone. Some original timber-framing is exposed.
(6). Cottage, 270 yards S.W. of (5), is built of stone and may have been reconstructed in the 18th century.
(7). Barn, at Treberva, 1000 yards S. of the church, is weather-boarded and has a projecting porch on the E. side. The roof is of five bays.
(8) Strickstenning Hall, house and barn, ¾ m. E. of the church. The House has been entirely altered internally and refaced externally. The Barn and stable, E. of the house, is partly of stone; the part forming the stable is of c. 1700.
(9) Minster Farm, house 160 yards N. of the church, has rubble walls. On the S. side is an original window of three lights.