An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Herefordshire, Volume 1, South west. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1931.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
60 ST. WEONARDS (D.d.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)L, N.E., (b)L, S.E., (c)L, N.W.)
St. Weonards is a village and large parish about 10 m. S. of Hereford.
a(1). Tumulus, 70 yards S.S.W. of the church, was originally round, about 45 yards in diameter and about 14½ ft. high. It was excavated in 1855, and two burnt burials discovered; they were covered with a slight mound of fine earth, covered in its turn by stones (Arch. Camh. 3rd Ser. I, p. 168). The cutting of this excavation is still visible and there are faint traces of a ditch on the E. side.
a(2). Parish Church of St. Weonard, stands in the middle of the W. half of the parish. The walls are of squared local sandstone rubble except those of the W. tower, which are of ashlar; the roofs are covered with stone slates. The 13th-century church appears to have had a N. aisle and chapel, of which the materials of the arches are re-used in the later arcades. The lower part of the S. wall of the Nave is of c. 1300. The chancel-arch was re-built early in the 14th century. Early in the 16th century the West Tower and the South Porch were added, and about the same time the North Chapel and North Aisle were re-built; at the same time the S. wall of the nave was heightened. In 1875 the N. chapel was restored and an extensive restoration of the church took place in 1884. Work then done included the lengthening eastward of the chancel about 8 or 9 ft.; the widening of the chancel-arch; the addition of the South Vestry with the porch; the re-roofing of the chancel and the nave; and the removal of a wooden gallery from the W. end of the N. aisle.
The early 16th-century screens, the glass in the E. window of the N. chapel, and the 'dug-out' chest are noteworthy.
Architectural Description—The Chancel (31¼ ft. by 17¾ ft.) has in the modern E. wall a re-set and repaired late 14th-century window of three cinque-foiled lights with tracery in a two-centred head with a moulded label. In the N. wall is an early 16th-century window of two cinque-foiled ogee lights in a square head and with a re-used 14th-century internal lintel enriched with 'ball-flower' ornament. Farther W. is a two-centred archway opening into the N. chapel; it is of early 16th-century date, but incorporates some earlier voussoirs; the arch is of two chamfered orders with semi-octagonal responds with moulded capitals and chamfered bases which have been cut into for the insertion of a screen. In the S. wall is a modern window, and farther W. are a modern doorway and archway opening into the modern vestry and its porch. The chancel-arch was widened in 1884 but was re-built with the material from the former arch of early 14th-century date; it is two-centred and of two orders, the outer chamfered and the inner rounded, but the moulded caps are original though cut into for the chancel-screen.
The Nave (41¾ ft. by 20 ft.) has a N. arcade of early 16th-century date which incorporates the voussoirs of a 13th-century arcade. It is in four bays with two-centred arches of two chamfered orders; the piers are octagonal and the responds semi-octagonal with moulded capitals and chamfered bases similar to those of the arch between the chancel and N. chapel. In the S. wall are three windows; the easternmost is modern; the two westernmost, one on either side of the S. doorway, are each of one late 13th-century light with a trefoiled head; above the westernmost is a blocked opening of the 17th century; the S. doorway is of late 13th-century date, re-tooled; it has stop-chamfered jambs and segmental-pointed head. The S. wall was heightened early in the 16th century, the later part being thinner than the wall below and with a modern external facing.
The North Chapel and North Aisle (55¼ ft. by 16¼ ft.) are structurally undivided and are entirely of early 16th-century date. The large E. window is of four cinque-foiled ogee lights with vertical tracery in a nearly round head with a moulded label. In the N. wall are three windows; the easternmost is of three cinque-foiled ogee lights in a square head; the middle window is similar but of four lights; the westernmost is of two cinque-foiled ogee lights with tracery in a square head; it has some modern repairs; the N. doorway has hollow-chamfered jambs and four-centred head with some incised mouldings between it and a segmental moulded label with ornamental stops. In the W. wall is a window of three cinque-foiled ogee lights with vertical tracery in a two-centred head; there was formerly a gallery at the W. end of the N. aisle, and a narrow vertical chase in the S. end of the wall probably contained one of the timber posts supporting it.
The West Tower (16½ ft. by 16 ft.) is of early 16th-century date and is in three stages, with a moulded plinth and an embattled parapet. The tower-arch is two-centred, and of two continuous chamfered orders, with a third order on the inner face. In the S. wall of the ground stage is a blocked modern doorway, but the doorway to the vise in the S.W. angle of the tower is original and has hollow chamfered jambs and four-centred head with the spandrels and a panel above the head carved with conventional foliage and grotesque beasts. In the W. wall is an original window, slightly repaired, and of four cinque-foiled ogee lights with vertical tracery, casement-moulded jambs and two-centred head with a moulded label. The second stage has in each wall a small light with a two-centred head. The bell-chamber has in each wall a window of two plain pointed lights with a pierced spandrel in a two-centred head.
The South Porch is of early 16th-century date; it has an external plinth and the S. wall is gabled. The outer archway has moulded jambs and a two-centred head, and in each of the side walls is a window of two trefoiled ogee lights in a square head; the head of the western window is modern.
The Roof to the N. chapel and aisle is continuous; it is of early 16th-century date and of barrel-form, ceiled and divided into three bays by moulded and cambered tie-beams; the wall-plates are moulded and the ceiling is divided into panels by moulded ribs with plain bosses at the intersections. The S. porch has a collar-beam roof with vertical struts from the wall-plates to the lower ends of the rafters.
Fittings—Brackets: In chancel—re-set in E. wall two mediæval shaped corbels, used as brackets with modern top slabs. In N. chapel—in E. wall two moulded brackets, early 16th-century; on N. wall, moulded semi-octagonal bracket with half-figure of angel below with hands in prayer, early 16th-century. Brass and Indent: Brass: on E. respond of archway to N. chapel, to Roger Mynors, 1684, plate with shield-of-arms. Indent: In N. chapel, mostly hidden by modern pew. Chairs: In chancel—two with carved backs, shaped arms, seats with turned supports, turned front legs and plain stretchers, mid 17th-century, one back modern. Chest: (Plate 28) In N. chapel—large dug-out; divided internally into two compartments, each with heavy lid bound with crossed strapping and hung on three hinges; sides with remains of vertical and horizontal strapping, one lock-plate and mortices for two others, 14th-century or earlier, in dilapidated condition. Coffin-lids: re-used as rear lintel to modern doorway to S. vestry, part with foliated cross-head, 14th-century. In N. chapel—against E. wall, large but very mutilated, with cross in relief and incised chalice and book, late 13th-century; on N. wall, partly hidden by chest, small and tapering, probably early 14th-century. Cross: In churchyard—octagonal base only with chamfered upper edge and niche on W. side with two-centred head, 15th-century, now supporting modern sundial. Door: In W. tower, to staircase on first floor, plain with segmental head and strap-hinges, 17th-century. Font: octagonal bowl, partly re-tooled with quatrefoil-panelled sides, octagonal stem and chamfered base, 15th-century. Glass: In N. chapel—in E. window, considerably restored in 1875 and incorporating much modern work, but including, in four main lights, (a) large figure of St. Catherine, beneath elaborate canopy, crowned and nimbed, wearing elaborately jewelled robe, with sword in right hand and wheel in left; black-letter inscription below "Mitt Militis Felic. Willm Uxoris Eius," largely modern, and in bottom of light small triple canopy above modern shield; all set within border of mixed ruby, blue, green, fragments of foliage, birds, tabernacle work, two irradiated eyes, etc.; (b) figure of St. John the Baptist, almost entirely modern, in similar setting as (a); (c) Crucifixion with St. Mary at foot, almost entirely modern, in setting similar to (a) and below figures black-letter inscription "Orate Pro Bono Statu Ricadus Minoris 1521"; (d) modern figure of St. Weonard, with book and axe, in setting as before; glass in tracery includes (e) in top middle panel, figure of Christ displaying the five wounds; in row of panels immediately above main lights; (f) modern except some foliage in top foil; (g) crowned figure of St. Margaret transfixing dragon with a cross, standing under canopy, with partly restored shield of Mynors below; (h) crowned figure of St. Catherine, beneath canopy, with sword, wheel and book, partly restored shield of Baskerville below; (i and j) probably the Annunciation, but figure of the Virgin partly modern; (k) modern except shield in lower part with arms of Devereux; (l) figure of St. Helen beneath a canopy, below a shield-of-arms, ermine a mill-rind cross sable; (m) St. Leonard holding a staff in his left hand and carrying chains across his right arm, in smaller foils conventional foliage in yellow stain and brown lines on grey glass, all c. 1521, incorporating much modern repair. In N. aisle—in middle window in N. wall, eight crests of Mynors, each enclosed in a border of running foliage in yellow stain. Locker: In N. chapel—in N. wall, sill and part of jambs of early 16th-century locker covered by 18th-century monument. Monuments: In S. vestry—re-set on W. wall, (1) to Anne, wife of Charles Williams, 1678, painted wooden monument (Plate 55) with stone inscription-panel flanked by ribbed pilasters supporting curved pediments, with, above, three spheres set on pedestals, scroll-apron below. In churchyard—S. of porch, (1) to Cesar Hoskyns, 1678, head-stone; S. of tower, (2) to James Jones, 1699, flat stone. Niches: In N. chapel—in N. wall between chapel and aisle, with moulded jambs and two-centred cinque-foiled head with diapered patterns carved on spandrels and quatre-foiled circle carved on stone above head, early 16th-century. Above S. doorway to nave, with trefoiled head, 15th-century. Panelling: In N. chapel—re-set against E. wall, in three bays, with side panels carved with conventional foliage and middle panel carved with figure-subject representing Abraham sacrificing Isaac, early 17th-century. Piscinæ: In chancel—with trefoiled two-centred head, circular bowl and moulded sill, c. 1300. In N. chapel—across S.E. corner, with trefoiled ogee head in square frame, early 16th-century, no drain. Plate: includes a cup of 1628 (Plate 57) with baluster-shaped stem, and an alms-dish of 1677 inscribed with quartered shield-of-arms. Pulpit: (Plate 58) hexagonal, with door missing, four sides with upper and lower panels; upper panels carved with scroll-ornament and a fluted frieze; lower panels each carved with an enriched semi-circular arch with foliated spandrels and enriched pilasters; early 17th-century with modern cornice and base. Royal Arms: In W. tower —on N. wall, painted on wooden panel, of Queen Anne, after the Union, with the date 1710 and motto "Semper Eadem." Screens: between chancel and nave, in five bays with modern four-centred arch to middle bay; side bays with close lower panels sub-divided by moulded styles and filled with 'linen-fold' panelling; upper part with open panels with trefoiled ogee heads with cusped spandrels, mostly modern; intermediate mullions cut out and modern bosses attached at spring of tracery; moulded cornice with running vine ornament, early 16th-century, partly restored. Between chancel and N. chapel, with door at E. end; W. part divided horizontally by moulded sill with four 'linen-fold' panels below and four open panels above with moulded mullions, trefoiled ogee heads with tracery above; door of similar design in two upper and two lower panels with strap-hinges; moulded cornice carved with running vine-ornament, early 16th-century. Between N. chapel and aisle (Plate 180), and within E. bay of nave-arcade, generally similar to screen between chancel and N. chapel, in fourteen bays towards aisle and two bays towards nave with door, in latter, hung on large strap-hinges; cornice carved with conventional foliage, vine-leaf, arabesque and animal heads, early 16th-century. Seating: In N. chapel, incorporated in modern work, parts of bench with turned legs and rail carved with conventional ornament, mid 17th-century. Stoup: In S. porch—with bowl hollowed out of carved head. Table: In N. chapel—with turned legs, moulded edge to top, side and end rails, carved with conventional ornament, and shaped stretchers, mid 17th-century.
In the modern mission-room at Broad Oak are the following re-used fittings. Communion Rails: In two bays with turned balusters and moulded top and bottom rails, late 17th-century. Communion Table: with stop chamfered legs and moulded front and end rails with shaped brackets, 17th-century, with modern top. Prayer Desks: two, both incorporating early 17th-century woodwork, including some moulded panelling, a rail carved with conventional foliage, a panel carved with arabesques, etc.
Condition—Of church, good.
a(3) Treago (Plates 104, 196), castle, 800 yards S.W. of church, is a two-storeyed building with attics and basement; the walls are of local sandstone rubble and some ashlar facing; the roofs are of modern lead and slate. There is said to have been a John de Mynors living at Treago in the reign of Edward II, but, though some of the walls may be of this age, the building itself presents no definite evidence of any work earlier than late 15th or early 16th-century date. The building is square on plan with round towers at each corner. The original inner courtyard was about 26 feet square and was probably approached by a passage through the middle of the E. wing. The N.W. and S.W. towers were stair-turrets, and there was also a stair at the junction of the S.E. tower with the S. wall. Towards the middle of the 16th century a two-storeyed porch was added to the N. side; the walls of this and the main building were carried up to form an additional storey at a later or modern date. At the latter end of the 16th century the roofs were largely re-built. In the 17th century alterations were made inside the building, and most of the upper floors belong to this date. In 1840 the building was further modernised, large parts of the S. and W. walls being refaced. The interior has been much modernised and the courtyard has been built over.
The E. Elevation has a tower at the N. and S. ends and a projecting bay in the middle. The S.E. tower has three of the original loops and two modern windows; at the N. corner there is a blocked cross-loop. There are some masons' marks on the stonework. The projecting upper storey is entirely modern. The N.E. tower is built of coursed ashlar and has small square-headed windows of c. 1500 to the basement, ground and second floors. The first floor has two two-light and one three-light windows with four-centred lights in a square head. The lower part of the middle projecting bay is ashlar-faced and of c. 1500, and shows some masons' marks. The upper part of the wall is modern. N. of this bay are two early 16th-century windows, one with a four-centred head, the other now blocked. The projecting chimney-stack above is carried on shaped corbels supporting small four-centred arches; the shaft has been re-built. S. of the bay is a mid 16th-century doorway with stopped chamfered jambs and four-centred head; the steps are modern. Above the door remain the splays of a blocked window.
The N. Elevation has a tower at each end and a projecting mid 16th-century porch of three storeys. The entrance to the porch in the N. wall has chamfered jambs and four-centred head. The first-floor window is modern. The second floor has a square-headed window with three four-centred lights, now blocked. The E. and W. walls have loops to the ground floor and single-light windows to the first floor with chamfered jambs and four-centred heads. The parapet-walls are embattled, the merlons having a moulded capping. The walls have some modern facing and the existing modern roof has been built at a lower level than the original roof. East of the porch there is a blocked window on the ground floor with a square head, and W. of the porch, adjoining the N.W. tower, a blocked early 16th-century square-headed window. On the second floor there are four blocked square-headed windows, each with two four-centred lights. The other windows are all modern. The N.W. tower has a loop and a cross-loop and three small square-headed windows, two now blocked.
The W. Elevation has a tower at each end, but most of the front is modern. Near the N.W. chimney-stack there is a small blocked window to the first floor, and there are two similar windows to the ground and first floors at the S. end. The S.W. tower is built of ashlar and has one small blocked window on the ground floor, two cross-loops on the first floor and three small windows on the second floor.
The S. Elevation is mostly modern, but has a mid 16th-century window, to the first floor, of three four-centred lights in a square head. Close to the S.E. tower there are three small windows with square heads.
Interior—The S. room of the E. Range has a wide segmental arch of one chamfered order across the gorge of the S.E. tower, and parallel with it there is a heavy stop-chamfered ceiling-beam. Across the angle is a fireplace, and to the S. a rounded recess which formerly contained the lower part of a stone stair; some of the original stone steps are visible in the second stage of the tower. There is a blocked opening at the junction of the tower with the E. wall which probably gave access to the adjoining oven. The fireplace in the tower has an unusually wide flue and appears to be original. The small room to the N. leads to a larger room having exposed ceiling-beams, and a projecting bay with a segmental-pointed arch of one plain order across the opening, which may have been the original entrance. To the N. of this room there is a mid 17th-century staircase with moulded handrail and string, twisted balusters and newels with knob-terminals.
The doorway leading from the porch to the N. Range is of mid 16th-century date and has chamfered jambs and four-centred head. The kitchen was originally the great Hall with a screens passage at the E. end; the ceiling was inserted early in the 17th century and has moulded beams. The westernmost room has a plaster ceiling of c. 1670, with moulded framing enclosing rose and oak foliage and oval panels with tulips. The door-step is a re-used floor-slab with the indent of a marginal inscription. The roof of the Hall, formerly open, survives in the attics; it is of two bays with a screens-bay at the E. end; the central truss was apparently of hammer-beam type with moulded side-posts and hammer-beams; the side-posts of the truss over the screens were probably carried down as speres; the wind-braces form four-centred arches and the roof is of c. 1500. The N.W. tower formerly had a stair, which has been removed, leaving a broken rubble wall-face.
The lower portion of the N. wall of the S. Range originally formed the S. wall of the courtyard; it is still visible in the basement, and retains the chamfered jambs and sills of four of the early windows. Near the middle of the range is a blocked stone stair leading to the ground floor.
The buildings on the site of the Courtyard incorporate re-used 17th-century material, and the original well is still in use. The wooden screen below the top-light at the first-floor level has some re-used 15th-century tracery, and there is some re-set mid 17th-century panelling and some doors of the same date.
The Roofs to the N., S. and W. ranges are of early 17th-century queen-post type.
a(4). Treago Bridge (Plate 11), 120 yards N. of the Castle, is built of rubble with some ashlar dressings. The bridge is 15 ft. wide and the side walls are 30 ft. long, with outcurving ends. The stream is bridged by two rounded arches springing from a plain pier and side walls; the W. side of the pier has an ashlar dressed cutwater, and above it is a recessed panel inscribed R.M. 1712.
a(5). Barn at Treago Farm, 120 yards N. of the bridge has ashlar walls and a modern slate roof. There is a sundial in situ dated 1664. The barn has E. and W. porches. Modern additions include a farmhouse which incorporates the northernmost bay. The walls are pierced by numerous loops in three or four ranges, and the upper walls have several square-headed windows with wooden diamond-shaped mullions. The door in the S. wall of the W. porch has strap-hinges with shaped ends. The roof, of braced tie-beam construction, is in six bays.
a(6). House (now the Police Station), on the W. side of the churchyard, is of two storeys; the walls are of stone and timber-framing with brick nogging; the roofs are of modern slate. It is an L-shaped building of early 17th-century date with a modern extension at the S. end and a one-storeyed addition against the E. wall. The E. and W. walls of the S. wing have exposed timber-framing. Inside the building there are some stop-chamfered ceiling-beams and exposed timber-framing.
a(7). The Mount (now the Post Office), 100 yards S.S.W. of the church, is of two storeys, with a re-built W. part of three storeys. The walls are of rubble and the roof is covered with slates. The house is of the 17th century. Inside the building there are some chamfered ceiling-beams.
Condition—Good, but much modernised.
b(8). Trippenkennett, house and outbuildings, about 1¼ miles S.S.E. of the church. The House is of two storeys and basement; the walls are of roughly squared and coursed sandstone; the roof is covered with slates. It was built in the second half of the 16th century on a rectangular plan with a small projecting wing at the S.E. angle; this wing was extended S. in the following century. Modern additions have been made at the N.E. corner, and at the W. end of the S. side; the S. porch is also modern, but is probably on the site of the original porch. The S. front has been refaced. The entrance to the porch has a re-used four-centred head. There are several original windows with square heads and most of them now blocked. The N. wall has also some original windows and a weathered chimney-stack. The W. wall has been refaced. Inside the building there are some moulded ceiling-beams and some exposed timber-framing. The staircase leading to the basement through an opening with a four-centred chamfered head, has original steps. E. of the staircase there is a timber-framed partition with a blocked doorway with a four-centred head. There is some panelling of mid 17th-century date on the first floor, but the upper part of the house has been much altered.
The Outbuilding, N.E. of the house, is of 17th-century date with walls of roughly squared rubble and plastered timber-framing, and a corrugated iron roof. It is in a ruinous condition, but preserves the original queenpost roof and windows with wood mullions.
The Barn, E. of the house, incorporates, at the N. end, the remains of what is said to have been a Chapel-of-ease to St. Weonards. Only the W. wall and a few feet of the return walls remain. The W. wall is gabled with a shaped pinnacle and moulded lower ends; within the gable is a bulls'-eye window in a square recessed frame with the date  87. The 17th-century door is nail-studded. The window has a moulded label and square moulded head. The wall has a chamfered plinth, and below it is a blocked square-headed window. The roof has been re-built and a queen-post truss and other material re-used.
Condition—Of house, fairly good.
a(9). Old Furnace, house and barn, 1,100 yards S.S.W. of church. The House is of two storeys and basement; the walls are of rubble and the roof is covered with slate. The earliest part of the house is of L-shaped plan and comprises the S.E. angle, the lower walls of which are probably of 16th-century date. The upper walls were re-built early in the 17th century, and an extension made at the N.E. end. About the middle of the century the S.W. wing was extended, and later a square block was inserted between the two wings. The addition to the N.E. of this block is modern. There appears to have been another wing at the S.E. corner of the house, but this has now disappeared. Inside the building there are stop-chamfered ceiling-beams and exposed joists.
The Barn, N.W. of the house, is of late 16th-century date and is in a ruinous condition. The walls are of rubble and the roof of stone slates; the E. gable is weather-boarded. There are loop lights and a doorway in the N. and S. walls; the roof is in five bays and is of queen-post construction.
b(10). Penrose, house, about 1½ m. S.W. of the church, is of two storeys. The walls are of rubble and plastered timber-framing; the roofs are covered with modern slates. The rectangular N.W. wing is of late 16th-century date; additions and alterations were made in the 18th and 19th centuries and, recently, the W. wall has been re-built. Inside the building there are stop-chamfered ceiling-beams and, on the ground floor, a partition with heavy chamfered studding. The roof is of queen-post type.
Condition—Good, much altered.
b(11). Cottages, at Broad Oak, three tenements, about 2 m. S.W. of church, are of two storeys. The walls are of rubble with ashlar dressings, and the roofs are covered with stone slates and modern tiles and slates. They were built in the 17th century and have a modern addition on the W. side. Inside the building there are some exposed chamfered ceiling-beams.
b(12). Caldicott Farm, house and barn, about ¼ m. S.S.E. of (11). The House is of two storeys, the walls are of ashlar and rubble, and plastered timber-framing; the roofs are covered with modern slates. The E. wing S. of the porch is of early 16th-century date; the remainder of the E. wing N. of the porch and the W. wing were added in the 17th century. The W. wing was extended in the 18th century and modern additions have been made in the angles of the E. and W. wings. The doorway in the porch has chamfered jambs and four-centred arch in a square head; the original door has large strap-hinges and is nail-studded. N. of the porch the wall is of ashlar. The N. wall of the W. wing is of ashlar and has the original square-headed window-openings. Inside the building, several of the rooms have chamfered ceiling-beams with moulded stops; one beam in the hall has an unusual type of diagonal stop. The southernmost room on the ground floor has a plaster ceiling of late 16th or early 17th-century date with a moulded panel in low relief enclosing four fleurs-de-lis in heart-shaped strap-work frames.
The Barn, immediately S.W. of the house, is in Garway parish. There are three bays of late 14th or early 15th-century 'crutch' construction. The outside rubble walls were probably built round the timber structure in the 16th century. The 17th-century S. wing has loops. Inside the building there are two floors, the upper carried on stop-chamfered beams and vertical posts and reached by an external stone stair.
Condition—Of house, fairly good.
b(13). Royal Elms, house, about 200 yards N. of (11), is of two storeys. The walls are of local stone rubble with ashlar dressings, and the roof is covered with modern slates. It was built late in the 17th century and has modern additions on three sides. Inside the building there are some exposed beams.
c(14). Glasshouse Farm, house, about 1½ m. W.S.W. of church, is of two storeys. The walls are of rubble, and the roofs are covered with modern slates. The earlier part of the house is of 16th-century date and of L-shaped plan. Early in the 17th century a rectangular block was added to the original S. wall. The porch is modern and the roofs have been largely re-built. The N. wall of the N. wing has a four-light square-headed window with diamond-shaped wooden mullions. There is a similar three-light window in the N. end of the E. wall. On the first floor the window in the N. wall of the N. wing retains its original frame and a three-light window at the S. end of the E. wall has moulded mullions and frame. A window in the S. wall retains the original chamfered frame. Inside the building are some stop-chamfered ceiling-beams and exposed timber-framing.
c(15). Carwendy, house, about 2 m. W.N.W. of the church, is of two storeys with attics and basement. The walls are of rubble and ashlar, and the roofs are covered with slates. The house is built on an irregular plan on a steep slope, with a basement on the E. side only. The northernmost room is of 15th-century date. The two rooms to the S.E. and upper part of this side of the house were added in the 17th century. Later additions have been made to the W. and to the E. and N. sides of the original wing. The doors and windows are modern. Inside the building there is a re-used moulded beam in the modern N.E. addition. In the 15th-century room adjoining there is a wide fireplace, now blocked; in the S. wall there is a doorway with chamfered ashlar jambs; the head is missing. In the W. wall is a square-headed two-light window with stone mullion. The room has a segmental arched stone vault. Adjoining this room is a 17th-century staircase with square newels with moulded panels, turned and moulded balusters and moulded hand-rail and string; the lower steps are of stone. The S.E. room in the basement has two moulded ceiling-beams. The door in the S. wall has chamfered jambs and square head. Adjoining it on the E. side is a blocked window. The room on the ground floor above the 15th-century basement has moulded ceiling-beams and joists; along the S. wall is a panelled wood partition of 17th-century date.