An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Herefordshire, Volume 1, South west. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1931.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
66 TYBERTON (B.b.).
(O.S. 6 in. (a)XXXII, S.W., (b)XXXII, S.E., (c)XXXVIII, N.W., (d)XXXVIII, N.E.)
Tyberton is a small parish 8 m. W. of Hereford.
a(1). Parish Church of St. Mary, stands in the middle of the northern part of the parish. The present church was re-built in 1720 and has a remarkable oak reredos; it incorporates as the S. doorway a late 12th-century doorway from the former church and retains some of the old fittings.
The 14th-century churchyard cross is a noteworthy example of its kind.
The late 12th-century doorway is of local sandstone; it has a semi-circular arch of two roll-moulded orders, the inner continuous and the outer carried on detached shafts with scalloped capitals and moulded abaci. Inside the building the keystone to the chancel arch and also those to the end windows in both the N. and S. walls of the nave are of carved shields of Brydges, which may be contemporary with the building, but have the appearance of having been re-used from a late 17th-century funeral monument.
Fittings—Churchyard Cross: (Plate 156) S. of church, with square base, on three steps, tapering octagonal shaft with stepped square base, cross at head with octagonal arms with Crucifixion on E. face and Virgin and Child on W. face, gabled top with roll at apex and ends, 14th-century. Monuments and Floor-slabs. Monuments: In chancel—on N. wall, (1) to William Brydges, 1668, and Anne (Marshall) his wife, 1656, painted stone monument with slate inscription-panel in moulded frame, flanked by twisted Corinthian columns on console-brackets supporting entablature with broken curved pediment enclosing shield-of-arms; below panel, apron with a cherub-head; (2) to Anne (Sheet), wife of Edmund Brydges, 1696, mural monument (Plate 55) with twin inscription-panels flanked by twisted Composite columns on pedestals, with entablature and curved pediment above, surmounted by urn and swags with seated cherubs over columns; shields-of-arms in pediment and on pedestals to columns and carved cherubs holding skull below panels; apron below with cherub's head; on S. wall; (3) to Margaret, daughter of William Brydges, 1671, painted stone monument with inscription tablet flanked by two allegorical figures of Faith and Hope with apron below, and above, segmental pediment surmounted by cartouche with lozenge-of-arms and two reclining cherubs; set up by her sister Hester who died 1685; (4) to Francis Brydges, 1727, and Elizabeth (Oswald), his first wife, 1690–1, mural monument with twin panels flanked by Composite columns on lion mask-corbels and supporting entablature with broken pediment surmounted by vases and achievements-of-arms; below shield of arms and apron-cartouche. In churchyard (5) to Mary, daughter of John Arnold, early 18th-century, but date missing, headstone with shaped top with cherub-head and ornamental border. Floor-slabs: In chancel—(1) to Mary (Kemp), wife of Marshall Brydges, 1700–1, and Marshall Brydges, 1709, twin floor-slab with ornamental border and shield-of-arms; (2) to Dorothy (Kemp), wife of James Green, 1713–14, and James Green, 1714, also to William and Margaret Green, his parents, twin floor-slab with ornamental border. Panelling: In nave—incorporated in dado, 17th-century panelling, some with carved enrichments. In W. tower—to E. and W. walls, dado of re-used early 17th-century oak panelling, also flat shaped and pierced balusters on N. and S. walls.
a(2). Eynon's Farm, house and barn, 250 yards S. of the church. The House is of two storeys with attics, timber-framed with brick filling; the roofs are covered with stone slates. It was built early in the 17th century, but may incorporate portions of an earlier building. The southernmost chimney-stack is possibly of late 17th or early 18th-century date, and there are later additions on the W. side and at the N. end. The E. or front-elevation has a stone plinth and exposed timber-framing; the middle portion of the front is carried up in a gable, with a smaller gable on each side having the half-timber work in the form of tangent semi-circles. The S. elevation of the main house is gabled and has a stone base and timber-framing with brick-nogging above. The lower part of the W. elevation is hidden by later stone additions, but the upper part of the wall at the S. end is carried up in two half-timbered gables. The N. end of the main building is of stone, but the lower part is covered by later additions. Inside the building the ceiling of the middle room on the ground floor has chamfered ceiling-beams. Along the S. wall at the E. end, now showing in a small lobby, is a moulded beam. In the southernmost room are two early 17th-century panelled doors. The kitchen has some exposed ceiling-beams and a heavily moulded fascia across the fireplace opening; in the N.E. angle, rising out of the E. wall a few feet below the ceiling, is a curved strut or brace. On the first floor, in one of the bedrooms, is some re-used early 17th-century panelling.
The Barn, S. of the house, is of the 17th century and of timber-framing and brick on a stone base; in the upper part of the walls is some interlacing lath or slat-work between the timber-framing. The barn is six bays in length with a roof of stone slates.
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys, or one with attics; the walls are timber-framed with plaster or brick infilling, and the ceiling-beams are exposed.
b(3). Cottage, on the W. side of the road, 480 yards S. of the church, has a stone plinth and a thatched roof.
d(4). Cottage, on the E. side of road, nearly ½ m. S. of the church, is of L-shaped plan with the wings extending towards the N. and S., the N. wing being possibly an addition. There is a projecting stone oven in the wall of the N. wing.
c(5). Cottage, at Stockley Hill, on the N. side of the road, 1,550 yards S.W. of the church, is of L-shaped plan with the wings extending N.E. and N.W. The N.W. wing was probably added in the 18th century and has a modern addition. The gabled end of the N.W. wing is of stone, and the N.E. end of the N.E. wing is also of stone and gabled, and has a projecting stone chimney-stack with a detached rectangular brick shaft.
Condition—Poor, N.E. wing condemned.
c(6). Yew Tree Cottage, at Stockley Hill, on the S. side of the road, 1 mile S.W. of the church, has a thatched roof.
c(7). Cottage (formerly Brydges' Arms Inn), at Stockley Hill, nearly 1 mile S.W. of the church.
Upper Bullingham or Bullinghope, see Grafton