An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Herefordshire, Volume 1, South west. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1931.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
13 CALLOW (D.c.)
(O.S. 6 in. XXXIX, S.E.)
Callow is a small parish 3½ m. S. of Hereford.
(1). Parish Church of St. Mary, stands near the W. border of the parish. It was re-built in 1830, but retains from the former building the following:—
Fittings—Bells: two, uninscribed. Font: circular bowl with convex sides, cylindrical stem and moulded base, early 13th-century. Monument: In W. tower— on N. wall, to Henry Pearle, 1670, "deceased at the English factory of Bantam," freestone and slate tablet with cartouche on apron and scrolls and shield-of-arms on head. Plate: includes an Elizabethan cup with two bands of incised ornament round bowl, but without date-letter or makers' marks, and a pewter cup and cover-paten of mid to late 17th-century design. Seating: In W. tower—small bench with four turned legs, grooved top-rail and moulded edge to seat, early 18th-century.
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys. The walls are of rubble and the roofs are covered with stone slates or modern slates. Most of the buildings have old chimney-stacks and exposed ceiling-beams.
Condition—Good, or fairly good, unless noted.
(2) House, now two tenements, immediately W. of the church, is roofed with pantiles. It is built on an L-shaped plan with the wings extending towards the S. and W. The S. wing is probably an 18th-century addition, and there is a later addition at the end of the W. wing.
(3). Callow Farm, house, 40 yards S.E. of the church, is partly of three storeys with attics and cellar. Some of the walls are of rubble and some of brick. The three-storeyed wing projecting westward at the S. end of the house is of late 16th or early 17th-century date, but the building has been added to and much altered in the 18th and 19th centuries. In the W. wing is an original stone window of three mullioned lights.
(4). Blakeways, house and barn, 280 yards E. of the church. The House is of two storeys with cellars. It is a small rectangular building with a later projection on the W. side enclosing the stairs to the cellar. Inside the building the fireplaces in both the ground-floor rooms have chamfered oak lintels. The Barn: N.E. of the house, is in five bays with the middle bay projecting as a porch. In the side walls are two ranges of loop lights, and in one end wall are three ranges of similar lights. The roof-trusses have tie-beams and collars and struts between the former and the principal rafters.
Condition—Of house, derelict, recently burnt; of barn, good.
(5). Oak Cottage, cottage and barn, 730 yards S.S.E. of the church. The Cottage was built probably early in the 18th century. The Barn, N. of the cottage, is in five bays with a central doorway on each side and two rows of loop lights in the walls.
(6). Cottage and Barn, about 100 yards E. of the Hereford-Ross road, 1040 yards S.S.E. of the church. The Cottage is timber-framed with brick and plaster panels and has a stone base. The Barn, S.W. of the house, has two wings, one at either end, projecting towards the E.
(7). Twyford Farm, house and barn, ¾ m. E. of the church. The House is of two storeys with cellars; the roofs are tiled. It is probably timber-framed, but the walls now have a modern brick base above which they are covered with rough-cast. An 18th-century granary has been built at the W. end of the house, at the E. end is the barn, and a modern addition projects southwards from the E. end of the back of the building. The house is probably of early 17th-century date, though the large chimney-stack in the middle of the building suggests that it may have been inserted in an earlier structure. The Barn has the lower part of the walls of stone and the upper part timber-framed and weather-boarded; the roofs are tiled. The roof is of five bays with king-post trusses.
(8). Brook Farm (Plate 21), at Twyford, on W. side of the road, about ½ m. N.N.E. of (7), is timber-framed with brick panels on a stone base, and the roof is covered with pantiles. Later outbuildings have been added at either end.