An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Herefordshire, Volume 2, East. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1932.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
AN INVENTORY OF THE ANCIENT AND HISTORICAL MONUMENTS IN EAST HEREFORDSHIRE
ACCREDITED TO A DATE BEFORE 1714 Arranged by Parishes
(Unless otherwise stated, the dimensions given in the Inventory are internal. Monuments with titles printed in italics are covered by an introductory sentence to which reference should be made. The key-plans of those churches which are not illustrated by hatched plans are drawn to a uniform scale of 48 ft. to the inch, with the monumental portions shown in solid black.)
1 ACTON BEAUCHAMP (D.b.)
(1). Parish Church of St. Giles stands in the W. angle of the parish. The walls are of local sandstone and the roofs are tiled. The S. doorway is of c. 1200 and was re-set when the whole church was re-built in 1819.
Architectural Description—The S. doorway, of c. 1200, has a round arch of two orders, the inner chamfered and continuous and the outer moulded and springing from detached shafts with moulded bases and abaci; the W. shaft has a scalloped capital and the E. shaft has a capital carved with three heads. The bell-chamber of the tower has in each face a lancet-window perhaps of c. 1200 re-set.
Fittings—Bells: three; 1st inscribed in Lombardic capitals "Sancte Gabrihel ora pro nobis," 2nd similar and inscribed "Sancte Petre ora pro nobis," both probably 15th-century. Font: octagonal bowl with moulded top, concave under side carved with large pateræ, plain stem and hollow-chamfered base, late 15th-century, much repaired in cement. Plate: consists of cup and cover-paten probably of late 17th-century date. Miscellanea: Incorporated in walls, various 12th-century worked stones. Re-used as lintel of S. doorway of tower, with segmental head of doorway cut out of it, tapering stone (3 ft. 7 in. by 13½ in. at top and 16½ in. at base, cut away at back and now 9 in. thick) with carved panel on face (Plate 18) of scrolled foliage with sheaths at branch-junctions, trefoiled and other leaves, bird and two beasts in the scrolls, probably part of 9th-century cross-shaft.
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys, timber-framed and with tiled roofs. Some of the buildings have original chimney-stacks and exposed timber-framing and ceiling-beams.
(2). Sinton's End Farm, house and barns 1,520 yards S.E. of the church. The House was built probably in 1633, on an L-shaped plan with the wings extending towards the S.W. and N.W. The S.W. wing was extended early in the 18th century. A piece of oak beam from the house and now preserved at Sevington in the same parish, is carved with the date and initials G.H. 1633. Inside the building, the early 18th-century staircase has turned balusters.