An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Herefordshire, Volume 2, East. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1932.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
59 MUNSLEY (D.d.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)XXXV, N.W., (b)XXXV, S.W., (c)XXXV, S.E.)
Munsley is a parish 4 m. N.W. of Ledbury, between the valleys of the Leadon and the Frome. The church is the principal monument.
b(1). Parish Church of St. Bartholomew stands in the N. part of the parish. The walls are of local sandstone rubble with dressings of the same material; the roofs are covered with stone slates. The church, consisting of Chancel and Nave, was built c. 1100. It was restored in 1863 when the S. walls were partly re-built; the bell-cote and South Porch are modern.
Architectural Description—The Chancel (18½ ft. by 16½ ft.) has some herring-bone work in the E. gable; the E. window, of c. 1100, is of one round-headed light. In the N. wall are two windows, the eastern of the 14th century and of one trefoiled light, partly restored; the western window is of c. 1100, partly restored, and of one round-headed light. In the S. wall are two windows, the eastern a 13th-century lancet-light and the western of the 14th century and of one ogee-headed light; the S. doorway is modern. The chancel-arch, of c. 1100, is semi-circular and of one plain order, with square responds and moulded imposts.
The Nave (37½ ft. by 20 ft.) has, in the N. wall, three windows, the easternmost of late 13th-century date and of two trefoiled lights with a pierced spandrel in a two-centred head; the middle window is a single round-headed light of c. 1100; the westernmost window is similar to the easternmost but with a modern head and mullion; the N. doorway, now blocked, has a flat segmental-pointed head. In the S. wall are two windows, the eastern of late 14th-century date, much restored and of two trefoiled lights with tracery in a two-centred head; the western window is modern; the 14th-century S. doorway has sunk-chamfered jambs and segmental-pointed head. In the W. wall is a modern window.
Fittings—Bells: two, inaccessible. Chests: In nave—(1) dug-out chest with two cambered lids, staples and locks, 13th-century, locks later; (2) framed chest with ends carried down to form feet, 17th or early 18th-century. Coffin-lids: In nave—on E. wall, (1) with formy cross at top and foliated cross below, inscription, in Lombardic capitals, to Robert Chaumberleyn, 13th-century, cut for use as window-sill; (2) with cross-head in circle, 13th-century. Floor-slabs: In chancel—(1) to Benjamin Mason, 1665; (2) to Richard Skynner, 1707, Sarah, his wife, 1718–9, and Richard Skynner Jun., 1736, with achievement-of-arms; (3) to Catherine, wife of Henry Jones, 1656. Font: octagonal bowl with concave under - side, octagonal stem and octagonal to round base, 15th-century. Glass: In nave—in middle N. window, 15th-century fragments of borders, leaves, leopard's head, etc. In S. windows of nave, roundels and border, 14th and 15th-century. Inscription: In nave—on S. wall, stone with a number of cut letters of various sizes and of uncertain date and purport. Sundial: On S.E. angle of chancel—scratched dial. Miscellanea: Incorporated in S. wall of nave—stone with cut circles.
b(2). Mound (Plan, p. xxvi), probably castle-mound, at Lower Court, 100 yards S.W. of the. church, rises about 6 ft. above the approach on the N.E. On the W. side is a dry ditch and on the E. a large marshy area, perhaps formerly flooded by the small stream which runs through it. To the S.W. of the mound is an L-shaped length of wet moat formerly enclosing an outer court.
b(3). Lower Court, house on the mound above described, is of two storeys with cellars; the walls are partly of brick and partly timber-framed and the roofs are tiled. It is mainly of 18th-century date but incorporates a 17th-century timber-framed wall.
c(4). Paunceford Court, house, barn and remains of moat, ¾ m. E.S.E. of the church. The House is of two storeys with attics; the walls are of timber-framing and brick and the roofs are covered with tiles and slates. The timber-framed N.E. wing is of early 17th-century date; the main block was re-built in the 18th century and there are modern additions. Inside the building are some original chamfered ceiling-beams.
The Barn, S.W. of the house, is of the 17th century, timber-framed and of seven bays.
The Moat is represented only by a pond, S.E. of the house, with a dry continuation of the ditch beyond it and by remains of a ditch to the N. of the farmbuildings.
Condition—Of house, good.
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys, timber-framed and with tile or slate-covered roofs. Some of the buildings have original chimney-stacks and exposed ceiling-beams.
Condition—Good or fairly good, unless noted.
c(5). Cottage, on the S. side of the road at Waller's Green, over 1¼ m. S.E. of the church, has exposed timber-framing and a thatched roof.
b(6). Vergons Cottage, on the N. side of the road, 1,500 yards S.S.E. of the church, has exposed timber-framing and a thatched roof.
b(7). Orchard Cottage, two tenements, ¾ m. S.S.W. of the church, has exposed timber-framing.
b(8). Pickerills, cottage, 800 yards S.E. of the church, has exposed timber-framing. The W. half is an 18th-century addition.
b(9). Moorend Farm, house and granary, 600 yards N.W. of the church. The House is partly of two storeys with attics and of irregular L-shaped plan. The middle part of the house was re-built in the 18th century. The older parts have exposed timber-framing. Inside the building is some original panelling, re-used to form an overmantel.
The Granary, N. of the house, is timber-framed and of two bays.
a(10). Old Parsonage, cottage, 1,400 yards N. of the church, has exposed timber-framing.
b(11). Barn, N.E. of Nupend Farm, 1,000 yards W. of the church, is of seven bays and of three periods of construction.
b(12). White House, 1,400 yards W.N.W. of the church, was built late in the 16th or early in the 17th century on a T-shaped plan with the cross-wing at the W. end. Some of the timber-framing is exposed.
b(13). Cottage, two tenements, on the N.E. side of the road, 300 yards S.W. of (12), has an early 18th-century extension at the E. end.