An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Herefordshire, Volume 2, East. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1932.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
82 ULLINGSWICK (C.b.)
(O.S. 6 in. XXVII, N.E.)
Ullingswick is a parish 5 m. S.W. of Bromyard. The church is the principal monument.
(1). Parish Church (dedication unknown) stands on the E. side of the parish. The walls are of local sandstone rubble with dressings of the same material; the roofs are tiled. The Nave was built probably early in the 12th century, but was subsequently extended to the W., perhaps in the 13th century. The Chancel was re-built early in the 14th century. The church was restored in 1863 when the South Porch was re-built; the bell-turret and roofs are modern.
Architectural Description—The Chancel (23½ ft. by 16¼ ft.) is of early 14th-century date and has an E. window with pointed side-lights and the mullions carried up to the two-centred head to form the third light. In the N. wall are two windows, the eastern of two pointed lights in a two-centred head; the western window is probably a 13th-century lancet-window re-set; between them is a doorway with chamfered jambs and two-centred head. In the S. wall are two windows uniform with the eastern window in the N. wall; between them is a shallow 17th-century recess, said to have been a fireplace; it has moulded jambs and four-centred head. The much restored chancel-arch is two-centred and of two orders, the outer chamfered and continuous and the inner moulded and springing from modern corbels.
The Nave (45 ft. by 15¾ ft. average) has, in the N. wall, four windows, the easternmost of late 13th-century date and of two trefoiled lights; the second window is a round-headed 12th-century light; the other two windows are modern; below the third are straight joints indicating the former existence of a doorway. In the S. wall are three windows, the easternmost of early 14th-century date with a central mullion carried up to the two-centred head; the second window is a 12th-century light similar to that in the N. wall; the westernmost window is modern; the S. doorway has 12th-century lower jambs, of two orders, but the rest is modern. In the W. wall is a 13th-century lancet-window.
The South Porch, originally of the 14th century, has been much restored and re-built. The outer archway is modern except for part of the moulded label. The windows in the side-walls are modern except for part of the splays.
Fittings—Bells: five, inaccessible. Font: octagonal bowl, re-cut, round stem and moulded base, 13th-century. Monument and Floor-slab. Monument: In nave—on S. wall, of John Hill, 1590–1, rectangular tablet (Plate 63) with moulded frame and painted inscription above; on panel painted altar-tomb with effigy of man, kneeling figures of Elizabeth (Brooke) his wife and Jane, their daughter, also two sons, John and Francis; shrouded figures of two infants, shield-of-arms above. Floor-slab: In chancel—to I.P. (? John Pitt), 1699, cut on 14th-century slab with cross on calvary, chalice and book. Piscinæ: In chancel—recess with chamfered jambs, trefoiled head and octofoiled drain, early 14th-century. Miscellanea: In porch—stone mortar.
Condition—Good, except for some cracks at E. end of chancel.
(2). Homestead Moat, 700 yards W.S.W. of the church, encloses a small square island.
(3). Upper Court, house, S.E. of the church, is of two storeys with cellars and attics. The walls are of rubble and timber-framing and the roofs are tiled. The central wing running E. and W. dates from the 16th century. In the latter part of the 17th century a wing was added at right-angles to the S. The rest of the house is of 18th-century or modern date. The original block retains two windows with square moulded labels and a third with a chamfered label. The main chimney-stack has two 17th-century diagonal shafts. Inside the building is an original fireplace with moulded jambs and four-centred arch in a square head. A staircase has mid 17th-century turned balusters and moulded hand-rail.
(4). Lower Court Farm (Plate 23), house, 200 yards E.S.E. of the church, is of two storeys with cellars; the walls are timber-framed and the roofs are slate-covered. It is of H-shaped plan with the cross-wings at the E. and W. ends. The cross-wings both retain late mediæval work, but the main block was re-built c. 1630, together with the S. wall of the E. wing and the outer walls of the W. wing. There is a small late 17th-century addition between the E. wing and the N. side of the main block. Most of the timber-framing is exposed, that on the N. and E. sides of the E. wing being close-set and original; the upper storey projects at the N. end of this wing. The other framing is in square panels with some diagonal framing in the gables. Inside the building the main block has some 17th-century moulded ceiling-beams; above the fireplace is some plaster modelling of a cherub-head, pomegranates and fleur-delis in a moulded framing; another room has a fireplace with moulded stone jambs and flat four-centred oak head. The E. staircase is of c. 1630 and has turned balusters, moulded strings and newels. The first floor has chamfered ceiling-beams.
(5). The Pullen, house, 1,000 yards S.W. of the church, is of two storeys, timber-framed and with slate-covered roofs. It was built in the 17th century and has modern additions on the E. side. The timber-framing, in square panels, is exposed. Inside the building are some exposed ceiling-beams and in the N.E. room is an iron fire-back with an achievement-of-arms.
(6). Townsend, house, 150 yards E. of (5), is of two storeys, timber-framed and with a thatched roof. It was built in the 17th century and has exposed timber-framing.
Upper Sapey, see Sapey, Upper.