An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Herefordshire, Volume 2, East. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1932.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
88 WESTHIDE (C.c.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)XXXIV, N.W., (b)XXXIV, N.E.)
Westhide is a parish 6 m. N.E. of Hereford. The church, with its interesting slabs and effigies, is the principal monument.
b(1). Church of St. Bartholomew stands in the N. part of the parish. The walls are of local sandstone rubble with some ashlar and dressings of the same material. The roofs are covered with tiles. The West Tower is of late 12th or early 13th-century date and the Nave perhaps retains the plan of the same period. The chancel was re-built and the South Aisle added c. 1340–50. The church was restored in 1866–7 when the Chancel and the N. wall of the nave were re-built and the North Vestry and South Porch added. The W. part of the tower has been re-built or restored at some uncertain date.
Architectural Description—The Chancel (19¼ ft. by 13 ft.) is modern but incorporates the following old features. In the N. wall is a 14th-century window of two trefoiled ogee lights with a quatrefoil in a two-centred head. In the S. wall is a 14th-century window of one trefoiled ogee light; the W. end of the wall is splayed back internally to avoid the respond of the chancel-arch. The 14th-century chancel-arch is two-centred and of two chamfered orders; the responds are semi-octagonal and have moulded capitals and bases; on the soffit of the arch are nine small mortices for vertical bars, perhaps in connection with the former tympanum.
The Nave (28½ ft. by 16 ft.) has a modern N. wall. The 14th-century S. arcade is of two bays and of the same detail as the chancel-arch; the free column is octagonal.
The South Aisle (15¼ ft. wide) is of mid 14th-century date and has an E. window of three trefoiled ogee lights with net-tracery in a two-centred head with a moulded label. In the S. wall is a window of similar character but of two lights; the S. doorway has jambs and two-centred arch of two moulded orders with a moulded label. In the W. wall is a two-light window similar to that in the S. wall; farther N. is a blocked doorway with moulded jambs and two-centred arch.
The West Tower (14¼ ft. by 13½ ft.) is of late 12th or early 13th-century date, low in height and probably never finished. It is now of one stage finished with a pyramidal roof and divided internally into three storeys. The distorted two-centred tower-arch is of two chamfered orders, the inner springing from attached shafts with scalloped capitals, chamfered imposts and square bases. In the S. wall is a blocked square-headed doorway and in the W. wall is a single-light segmental-headed window. The second storey has a similar window in the S. wall and a lancet-window in the W. wall. The bell-chamber has a rough opening in both the E. and N. walls and a lancet-window in the W. wall.
The Roof of the nave is of trussed collar-beam type and of 14th or 15th-century date; six of the trusses are modern. The tower-roof has four curved principals meeting at a central post; the former tie-beams and the lower part of the central post have been cut away.
Fittings—Bells: three, 1st and 2nd from the Clibury foundry, 1674; bell-frame old. Brackets (Plate 11): In chancel—on E. wall, two moulded corbels with heads of man and woman, 14th-century. In S. aisle —on E. wall, two moulded corbels with heads of a bishop and a queen, remains of colour, 14th-century. Chest: In tower—of boards on raised feet, two strap-hinges and locks, late 17th or early 18th-century. Churchyard Cross: S.W. of church—four round steps and part of octagonal shaft, 14th or 15th-century, now terminating in a 12th-century scalloped capital bearing a sundial of 1739. Coffin-lids: In porch—(1) tapering slab with enriched cross and pellet-ornament on edge; (2) fragmentary only, with cross-head and similar ornament on edge, late 13th-century. Door: In S. doorway—modern but with old ornamental iron scutcheon-handle and old plate for latch-handle. Font: round bowl with rounded underside, cylindrical stem and chamfered base, probably 13th-century. Glass: In chancel—in N. window, fragments including letters, 14th or 15th-century. Monuments: In S. aisle —in S. wall, (1) recess with two-centred moulded arch and label, effigy (Plate 161) of man in civil dress with loose gown, tight sleeves to under-garment, feet on dog, early to mid 14th-century; remains of colour on effigy including diaper on cushion, running scroll on arch and colour on mouldings; in S.E. angle, (2) effigies of man in armour and woman in full pleated skirt and stomacher, heads, hands, and feet missing, mid 16th-century; against W. wall, (3) of Richard Monyngton, 1524, and Alice his wife, alabaster slab with incised figures (Plate 186) of man in armour and woman in pedimental head-dress, eight sons and eight daughters, tabernacled canopy and marginal inscription. Painting: In S. aisle—on soffit of E. window, remains of scrolled foliage, 14th-century; N. of window, remains of inscription on scroll and perhaps figure-subject, probably 14th-century. Piscina: In S. aisle—in S. wall, recess with trefoiled head, quatre-foiled drain, two sockets in E. jamb, 14th-century. Plate: includes cup and cover-paten, the latter with the date 1629, also stand-paten of 1709 given in 1752 and a pewter bowl. Stoup: In E. jamb of S. doorway, rough recess with drain, probably mediæval. Tile: Re-set in modern chancel-screen, slip-tile with arms of SS. Peter and Paul, 15th-century.
b(2). Westhide Court, outbuilding and moat, 60 yards E. of the church. The House is modern but to the N. of it is a 17th-century outbuilding of L-shaped plan. The upper part of the main block has exposed timber-framing but the lower part is of rubble; through the middle runs a high cartway.
The Moat, N. of the house, is incomplete and is now dry.
Condition—Of outbuilding, fairly good.
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys, timber-framed and with tile or slate-covered roofs. Most of the buildings have exposed external timber-framing and internal ceiling-beams.
Condition—Good or fairly good, unless noted.
b(3). The Parsonage, house and outbuilding, on the W. side of the road, opposite the churchyard. The House has been much altered and is now partly faced with brick and stone. The Outbuilding, W. of the house, has diagonal framing in the S. gable. A barn, N. of the house, is of five bays, weather-boarded.
b(4). House, now post office and tenement, 110 yards N. of the church, is of L-shaped plan with the wings extending towards the E. and S. and with an 18th-century wing on the N. The roof is thatched.
b(5). Cottage, 150 yards N.E. of the church, was built late in the 17th or early in the 18th century. The roof is covered with corrugated iron.
b(6). Barn, on the N. side of the road, 180 yards S.W. of the church. The lower part of the building is of rubble.
b(7). Townsend, house, 70 yards W.S.W. of (6), has modern additions at the back. The central chimney-stack has three brick shafts set diagonally. Inside the building are some original moulded ceiling-beams and two large open fireplaces.
b(8). Cottage, on the S. side of the road, 220 yards S.W. of the church, was built late in the 17th or early in the 18th century and has a thatched roof.
a(9). Cottage, on the N.W. side of the road at Dodmarsh, 1,480 yards W.S.W. of the church, was built late in the 17th or early in the 18th century and has a thatched roof.
a(10–12). Cottages, on the S.E. side of the road at Dodmarsh, at the extreme W. end of the parish, are of almost uniform design and were built late in the 17th or early in the 18th century.