An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Herefordshire, Volume 2, East. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1932.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
11 BREDENBURY (C.b.)
Fittings—Plate: includes a cup of 1650 given by Margaret Saunders, and a pewter flagon and stand-paten. Miscellanea: In churchyard—font-bowl from Wacton (see under that place), and a second smaller bowl.
b(2). Wicton Farm (Plate 25), house, 1¼ m. E.S.E. of the church, is of two storeys with cellars and attics; the walls are timber-framed and the roofs are tiled. It was built early in the 16th century on an L-shaped plan with a cross-wing at the W. end. The house was extended to the W. in the 17th century. The N. and E. sides of the house have exposed timber-framing mostly of fairly close-set type; the upper storey at the N. end of the cross-wing has the timbers set diagonally in square panels; the gable has small square panels with segmental timbers across the angles, forming an ornamental design; the gable projects on a moulded bressummer with carved brackets springing from attached buttresses or shafts. Inside the building are exposed ceiling-beams and joists.