An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Herefordshire, Volume 2, East. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1932.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
17 BURGHILL (B.c.)
d(1). Parish Church of St. Mary (Plates 4, 105) stands in the village. The walls are of local sandstone rubble and ashlar, with dressings of the same material; the roofs are covered with tiles. The N. wall of the Chancel is partly or wholly of early 12th-century date, but the form of the rest of the church at this period is uncertain. About 1200 an enlargement of the church was undertaken, beginning with the W. front, N.W. respond of the Nave, and the W. walls of the aisles, all probably built outside the earlier nave. The N. arcade of the nave was then built, beginning at the W. end, and the North Aisle completed. The S. arcade was built c. 1300 from E. to W., and the South Aisle was, perhaps, completed at the same time; the chancel was widened towards the S., perhaps also in the 14th century, and a N. chapel and Vestry added. The clearstorey was added late in the 14th century, and the South Porch late in the 15th or early in the 16th century. The West Tower was re-built in 1812, and the church was restored in 1824, 1854, 1862, 1879–80, and 1894, when the S. wall of the S. aisle was largely re-built, and the vestry and organ-chamber reconstructed.
Architectural Description—The Chancel (41 ft. by 24½ ft.) has an E. window, all modern except for the 14th-century splays and rear-arch. In the N. wall is an early 12th-century window of one round-headed light; farther E. is a doorway, possibly of the 12th century, re-set; it has chamfered jambs and round head; W. of the window is a square-headed doorway, now blocked, and a two-centred archway of one chamfered order, probably both of the 14th century. In the S. wall are three windows: the easternmost is of early 14th-century date, and of two trefoiled lights in a segmental-pointed head; the middle window is modern; the early 14th-century westernmost window is of two trefoiled lights with a sunk panel, and a looped knot between the heads; the doorway is modern. There is no chancel-arch.
The Nave (57½ ft. by 23 ft.) has a N. arcade of five bays with two-centred arches of two chambered orders; the western arch is wider than the rest, and of early 13th-century date, while the other bays are rather later; the columns are cylindrical with moulded bases and capitals, the westernmost pier having earlier detail than the others; the responds have attached half-columns, that on the W. being of c. 1200 with a scalloped capital. The early 14th-century S. arcade is of five bays with two-centred arches of two chamfered orders, and octagonal columns with moulded capitals and bases; the responds have attached half-columns; the details of the E. respond and first column are of earlier date than the rest. The late 14th-century clearstorey has one window in the N. and S. walls of two trefoiled ogee lights; farther W., in the S. wall, are four other windows all square-headed; the three western are of one light and perhaps of 16th or 17th-century date; the easternmost window is a modern enlargement of a window of the same character.
The North Aisle (8¾ ft. wide) has a modern arch in the E. wall. In the N. wall are five windows, the easternmost probably of late 14th-century date and of two trefoiled ogee lights; the three middle windows are modern; the westernmost window is a single square-headed light of old material, probably not in situ; below the fourth window are traces of a destroyed doorway. In the W. wall is a lancet-window of c. 1200.
The South Aisle (10 ft. wide) has thick end walls returned a short distance along the S. wall; these portions are perhaps of c. 1200. In the E. wall is a modern window. In the S.E. return are remains of a blocked recess or window with an arched head. In the main S. wall are four modern windows; the S. doorway, probably of the 14th century, has rounded jambs and two-centred head. In the W. wall is a single square-headed light probably of c. 1200, subsequently altered.
Fittings—Bells: eight; 4th, 6th and 7th by Abraham Rudhall, 1704. Brackets: In chancel—re-set in reredos, plain, mediæval. In S. aisle—on E. wall, two with moulded undersides, mediæval; socket probably for beam in return of S. wall, and probably connected with these brackets. Brasses: In chancel—on N. wall, (1) to Robert Masters, 1619, traveller, inscription, plate with globe and shield-of-arms on stone panel with interlacing quatrefoils; (2) of John Awbrey, 1616, plate with kneeling figures of man and wife at prayer-desk, shield-of-arms and inscription. Churchyard Cross: S.E. of chancel—square base with trefoil-headed niche in W. face, and set on four steps, 14th-century, shaft and cross-head modern. Communion Rails: with turned balusters, moulded rails and panelled standards, late 17th or early 18th-century. Font (Plate 53): lead bowl, modern, but with applied lead ornament consisting of a foliage scroll above a series of shallow arches, c. 1200; cylindrical stem of stone with arcade of thirteen bays with round arches and shafts, each bay with figure of a man, probably Christ and the twelve apostles, but much defaced; defaced band above and running foliage below, late 12th-century. Locker: In chancel—in N. wall, rectangular with rebated reveals and hooks for door, probably 12th-century. Monument: In chancel— against S. wall, of [Sir John Milbourne and Elizabeth (Devereux) his wife], c. 1440, altar-tomb with alabaster effigies (Plate 106) of man and wife, figure of man in plate armour with taces and tuilles, feet on beast, wreathed sallade on head, resting on crested helm; figure of wife with close-fitting gown, loose cloak and horned head-dress; altar-tomb, largely modern repair, but with three crocketed niches in the E. end with group of figures before the Virgin and Child, and two angels holding blank shields; three similar niches at W. end with angels holding blank shields. Panelling: In nave— front desks of two blocks of seats, with plain lower panels and upper panels enriched with arabesques, early 17th-century. Piscina: In nave—in S. wall, above the rood-loft, recess with trefoiled ogee head and projecting bowl, 14th-century; it is now too high above the floor of the existing loft to have served for an altar in that position, but was perhaps connected with a higher and earlier loft. Plate: Includes cup, without date-letter, with baluster-stem, perhaps mid 17th-century or later. Pulpit (Plate 70): Hexagonal, with five existing sides, panelled in two heights, with enriched rails, partly modern, early to mid 17th-century. Scratchings: On S.W. angle of S. aisle—17th-century initials. In W. doorway of tower—reversed stone with date 1609. Screen (Plate 73): Between chancel and nave—with central doorway and five bays on each side, doorway with double head, trefoiled and sub-cusped, side bays with narrower but similar heads and close lower panels, moulded main timbers, panelled loft of deep projection (6 ft.) with moulded ribs and front cornice with band of vine and ivy ornament and cresting; front beam supported on four additional posts with carved braces, 15th-century, heightened and moved eastwards in 1880. Miscellanea: In S. wall of S. aisle, externally—stone with carved head of bishop (Plate 78) in mitre, set in pointed recess, date uncertain.
a(3). Burghill Lodge, house, nearly 1½ m.N.N.W. of the church, is of two storeys with cellars and attics; the walls are timber-framed and the roofs are slate-covered. It was built late in the 16th or early in the 17th century on a half H-shaped plan with the wings extending towards the N.E. The house has been much altered in the 18th and 19th centuries, the N. wing extended and a bay added on the S.W. side. The original chimney-stack has six attached diagonal shafts. On the N.W. side is an original window of five lights, with moulded frame, mullions and transom. There are three gables on the S.W. front. Inside the building many of the chamfered ceiling-beams are exposed, and the entrance-hall has remains of an original plaster ceiling with ornamental roundels or rosettes. Some original panelling from the house has been refixed in the modern house a short distance to the S.E.
d(4). Burghill Grange, house, 280 yards E. of the church, is of two storeys with cellars and attics; the walls are of brick and the roofs are tiled. The house is mainly of early Georgian date, but incorporates an early 17th-century block now forming the S. wing; it was originally timber-framed and has moulded ceiling-beams. The hall is lined with re-set early 17th-century panelling. The hall and adjoining room have panelled plaster ceilings of the 18th century.
c(5). Manor Farm, house and outbuildings, 120 yards S.W. of the church. The House is of two storeys with attics, the walls are timber-framed, but cased in later brickwork, and the roofs are slate-covered. A block in the middle of the S.W. side is of early 17th-century date, but the rest of the building dates from the 18th and 19th centuries. Inside the building the original block has a late 17th or early 18th-century plaster ceiling (Plate 44) divided into eight panels of varying types. On the first floor are some original moulded ceiling-beams.
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys, timber-framed, and with tiled or slate-covered roofs. Most of the buildings have exposed external framing and internal ceiling-beams.
c(14). Pyefinch Farm, house and barn, 500 yards W.N.W. of the church. The House was built late in the 16th or early in the 17th century. Inside the building is a re-set 16th-century panel carved with a woman's head and scrolled dolphins.
a(22). The Parks, house, two tenements, nearly 1¾ m. N. of the church, is of half H-shaped plan with the wings extending towards the S. It has been re-fronted in brick, and an addition made between the wings.