An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Herefordshire, Volume 2, East. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1932.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
18 CANON FROME (D.c.)
(O.S. 6 in. XXXV, N.W.)
Canon Frome is a small parish 5 m. N.W. of Ledbury.
(1). Parish Church of St. James stands in the W. part of the parish. The West Tower was built in 1680, but the rest of the church was re-built in 1860. The tower is of red brick.
Architectural Description—The West Tower (7½ ft. by 9 ft.) is of three stages divided by plain bands, and with a plain parapet. In the E. wall of the ground-stage is a modern arch, and in the W. wall is a stone window of two elliptical-headed lights. The bell-chamber has, in the N., S. and W. walls, a window of one long narrow light with a segmental head, and a transom; in the E. wall are two similar but shorter lights without transoms. The tower is finished with a pyramidal slate-covered roof.
Fittings—Bells: three; inaccessible. Chest: of hutch-type, lid in two pieces with two locks and strap-hinges, 17th-century. Plate: Includes a cup and cover paten, the former of 1670, and both with the name Deborah Hopton, and with achievement-of-arms on cup, also the following pewter vessels, tankard with shield-of-arms, small ewer with spout and two alms-dishes with shield-of-arms, all late 17th-century.
(2). Canon Frome Court, house, N. of the church, was built in 1786, but probably incorporates part of an early 17th-century building in the E. wing; the N. wall of the cellar of this wing is of stone and early 17th-century brickwork. Inside the building are some re-set earlier fittings. In the Billiard Room is a late 16th-century overmantel (Plate 107) of two bays with the initials I. H. and female figures representing Justice, Wisdom, and Prudence [?] with an hour-glass, divided by arched panels with inlay-work and surmounted by a frieze of carved monsters. Another room has an overmantel (Plate 107) of c. 1600 with Ionic pilasters, arched panels and a cartouche-of-arms of Hopton. A bedroom, in the E. wing, has an early 17th-century overmantel with terminal figures and arched panels. The Servants' Hall has an early 18th-century stone fireplace with a fluted key-stone.
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys, timber-framed and with tile or slate-covered roofs. Some of the buildings have original chimney-stacks and exposed ceiling-beams.
Condition—Good, or fairly good, unless noted.
(3). Barns, 370 yards E.S.E. of the church. One barn has an inserted floor, and some of the framing is exposed. The second barn, E. of the first, was largely reconstructed in the 18th century.
(4). Barn at Southfield Farm, 700 yards E.N.E. of the church, is of five bays and of one storey, except at the W. end. Some of the framing is exposed.
(5). Ashfield, cottage, ¼ m. N.E. of (4), has exposed framing and a thatched roof.
(6). Oldings Cottage, 1,000 yards E.S.E. of the church, has exposed framing and a thatched roof.
(7). White House, house and outbuildings, ¾ m. E.S.E. of the church. The House was built probably late in the 16th century on an irregular plan. There are extensive later and modern additions and alterations. Some of the timber-framing is exposed.
The Barn, W. of the house, now an oast-house, has some exposed framing at the ends. The barn, E. of the house, and the barn and cow-shed, S. of the house, are of late 17th or early 18th-century date. Two of them have iron roofs.
(8). Cottage, at the old Pheasantry, 1,100 yards S.E. of the church, has some exposed framing.
(9). Redcastle Farm, house, about 1½ m. E. of the church, has an 18th-century extension on the S. and modern extensions at the back and ends. Some of the framing is exposed.